20 Million Miles to Earth

My local modeling group here in Huntsville, Alabama is doing a group build using this kit:

48268596827_6535688261_c.jpg 

Some very imaginative modifications of the Apollo 27 kit are being done, ranging from a Great Salt Lake speed record car to Marvin the Martian's spaceship. For my build, I was inspired by this scene from the classic SciFi movie, "20 Million Miles to Earth"

48268583067_5e45ceff1f_c.jpg 

The quick plot summary is that an American spaceship returning from Venus is hit by a meteor and crashes in the Mediterranean Sea off Sicily. Local fishermen board the ship and retrieve a strange egg before the rocket sinks. They give the egg to some scientists, who proceed to incubate it. Of course, it hatches into a fast-growing monster that proceeds to destroy Rome. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I built this diorama in just a few days. It doesn't follow the movie 100-percent... I prefer to call it "artistic liberty"

48268499371_2baa8a5ed8_b.jpg

For the water, I used AK Interactive's Water Gel Effects over a painted wooden base.

The movie's "Ymir" creature is a pre-painted vinyl kit I found on eBay. All I had to do was re-position the arms and cut off everything below its waist:

48268499491_8453f109b0_c.jpg 

The 1/700 scale fishing boats are resin + photoetch, and were also sourced on eBay. They're obviously Asian, so I've re-located the scene from the Med to the West Pacific. I populated them with resin figures from Northstar Models -- yes, they are very tiny!

This boat I did up as a decrepit hulk, its hull encrusted with barnacles and with tattered sails. The crew is jumping ship as the creature approaches!

48268499471_6afc137f8e_c.jpg

The owners of the other boats are obviously better off, and they are making haste to clear the area. They need not be able to outrun the creature -- they only need to be faster than luckless tail-end Charlie.

48268578317_b5b0df0f3e_b.jpg 

That's it. Not a complicated diorama at all. Just something I did as a distraction from this more demanding project I was doing at the time:

48205581672_0aac0ae84b_b.jpg 

(If you're interested, a link to the RFI for my B-58 Hustler build is posted below)

Thanks for viewing!

• Like 26

2 hours ago, billn53 said:

Here’s the trailer for the movie, prime Harryhausen!

Hi J,

I've seen many Harryhausen films, but that isn't one of them. I shall have to give it a (stop) go.

Rearguards,

Badder

Not one of the best Harryhausen films. It has the look of a low budget film (made in Italy with a lot of unknown actors) Still, some nice shots of late 50's Rome and I have a memory of a Universal Carrier. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, philp said:

Was fun seeing this in person along with the rest of the efforts at the US Nats last week.

I managed to break free from work and go to Chattanooga on Friday for the show. I was only able to spend a couple of hours (and a couple hundred bucks) there, but it was definitely worth the drive. 

• Like 1