Scottish Fishery Protection Vessel "Jura"

6 hours ago, longshanks said:

If I'm looking at the right pics it seems to be a tripod mast with a platform midwayo. I would guess easier and self supporting. I would try in plastic rod/tube as required. 

I sometimes wonder if the initial outlay for raw materials is a factor in leading to procrastination leading to the abandoning of plans. Would £50 be the average price of a kit plus aftermarket. Even £50 would buy a lot of raw materials and a percentage would be left for future projects.

Just my thoughts .  .  .

Kev

Agreed on the mast. Looks like the main spar runs right up through the platform with two support legs to the rear of it and supporting cross beams. The wheelhouse roof has a few Radars and what looks like a binnacle, ventilators and other assorted nautical gadgetry.

So far this has probably cost me about £20 but some of the stuff needed I had already built up over the years. Half the battle is trying to remember / find where I put it last.      :facepalm:

I have PE railings and ladders left over from Zinnia and as you say, there'll be plenty left for a whole fleet of ships in this wee scale.

• Like 1

Gidday Murdo, since you've asked I think it is a bit heavy duty. I've just gone back and looked at a photo in post #1 and the drawing in post #18. I think the base of the mast is fine but the drawing showed it tapered, not equal thickness all the way up. As it is a tripod I agree with Kev above, make it from thinner stock. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks guys, a smaller mast structure will be made. It doesn't look too bad on the model but I know it's wrong and it really shows up in the photos.

I've used the Ship's Plans for the hull and about 80% of the superstructure as there are too many fairly major and very noticeable differences between the pre production Plan and the actual ships (both SFPA and RN) in the photos. 

Unfortunately the weekend was a total write off as far as modelling was concerned.         

• Like 2

Made some Radars and added some PE railings for the new mast then messed it up with one of the worst paint jobs I've ever done using a Tamiya grey primer rattle can. It went a bit blobby.

1fCx0pZ.jpg

jy9AZW1.jpg

MLK2GWn.jpg

Mit massive paw part trying to get the camera to focus right. Time to dig out my Canon D60 DSLR.

NR4hvxv.jpg

What might remove Tamiya rattle can primer?

Edited by Murdo
  • Like 7

My you do have big fingers 👍🏻

Have you tried Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner for removal of the paint I used this when stripping down the tubes on MTB

brush on the cleaning fluids and leave steeping for couple of hours but keep checking depending on the size and how fragile the  

part then wash parts with detergent to get all the cleaning fluids off recommend using rubber gloves when handling the chemicals they can cause a nasty itch 😖

Not a word about rubber gloves and Itching you lot 😜

beefy 

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2019 at 10:40 PM, longshanks said:

Love that finger, could be a caption competition 😉

Can't help with the paint but I'm sure the people who know are out there ..........

Kev

Caption Competion starter for ten: "Here piggy piggy!"           :rofl:

• Haha 2

On 10/11/2019 at 5:35 AM, Murdo said:

What might remove Tamiya rattle can primer?

Gidday Murdo, would a 9-inch angle grinder do the job? It might be a bit of an overkill. 😁 Seriously, John's idea above is one I'll try to remember. Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the photos, a fair part of the deck and fo’c’sle is a green colour, some kind of anti-slip coating. 

Don't suppose anyone would know the (rough) colour, preferably in Tamiya? 

I also have Life Colour WW2 "Royal Navy Semtex Green" would that be any use?

Edited by Murdo
  • Like 1

Thanks guys.

I'm up in the Utter Hebrides looking after my (not old age) parents again but hopefully heading home on Saturday... Weather permitting of course, there's been some gales so the ferry might not sail, always a possibility up here. Modelling time has been sparse too.

I'll call in at my favourite model shop in Dingwall on the way down the road and see what Andy's got. I'll pick up some spare Styrene whilst I'm there too.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Can't believe it's been four months since I last posted anything on Jura.

Work has been murder as another manager went long term sick and I ended up doing his work as well as my own. I thought I'd get a load of stuff done over Christmas but, work was a busy as ever. Plus my other two hobbies, Flight sim and Hunter - COTW. I would be making (and often losing) tiny Jura parts whilst indulging in these other two.

Twasn't only work and othe hobbies mind you. Having seen and admired Stelangton's lovelywork on the 1:350 Titanic with LEDs and Fibre Optics (FO from here on) I decided the Jura would look good lit up the same way...              :doh:

Cue a three month fascination (insanity) with a breadboard, batteries, LEDs, resistors, photoresistors and off course FO cable, cursed be the stuff!

My Beloved got quite fed up with me lighting up strands of FO whilst cooing over the results. The smallest calibre was .25mm and that is thin stuff. Couldn't figure out why one strand wouldn't light up until I realised I was trying to light up a strand of my daughters hair!   :frantic:

So, started fitting the FO to Jura. You may remember the "skeleton" looked like this:

L5UX76Y.jpg

Which was then filled with Isopon P38 to produce this:

D60rUAK.jpg

However, to fit the FO I had to I had to Dremel out rather large chunks of Jura and she ended up looking like this:

VVad2MZ.jpg 

And this: You can see just how much of the superstructure supports I happily Dremeled away:

fPuOxXx.jpg

I also made a seascape to take the FO and assorted gubbins. Seascape made from a blue painted base covered with translucent bathroom sealant which was the sealed with Halfords Clear Lacquer (kills the sealant stickness).

I then glued the superstructure to the hull and the hull to the seascape. All good!!!

Unfortunately, removing so much internal superstructure support left me with an unthought of problem. No superstructure support!                 :dunce:

FO cable on it's own is reasonably malleable stuff and fairly happy to do as bidden. FO cable in a bundle grows a hoodie gang mentality, is evil stuff and is like trying to herd cats! One day whilst manipulating the FO cable I heard a ripping sound and all cable tension disappeared. On turning the seascape box over I found that - tied together the FO also acted like a leaf spring under tension and it had ripped the superstructure from the deck.       :angry:              :crying:

I put her away on the shelf of shame for a few weeks in rage and vented my frustration by shooting virtual animals. Spent a bit of time in the the Yukon area of Hunter COTW hunting Wolves with a crossbow and being attacked by them left, right and centre.      

To be continued:

Edited by Murdo
  • Like 6

Thanks Kev.

Haven't been away too much though. Most of the time was just spent making wee parts (bitts, life belts, anchor chain, various curved pipes / vents etc) and often losing them before I could get them into my safe box.

By the way, this is my "measuring stick":

YvpqDRZ.jpg

A fair bit of time was spent making a "skin" from 0.25mm plasticard with cutouts to cover the entire hull and get the very lovely and graceful curve from the deck rail to the bow correct. Added an inner skin with the same cutouts inside to add some strength... Which brought it's own problems. Also added the three rubbing strakes from .25mm half round rod along the side of the hull and used the same stuff for the entire top rail running right round the ship. 

jTeooJ7.jpg

I've started gluing a lot of these in place now.

The superstructure was re-attached to the hull and glued on with JB Weld which is the strongest glue I know of. If the FO manages to shift that joint then all is lost and I'll have to remove the FO and probably make a new superstructure.

Made anchor chains by twisting strands of electrical wire together and then gently tapping it flattish with a small hammer. this was then superglued to the anchor windlass once it was in place.

Xcx6xa1.jpg

Also started adding the bow Bitts and pipes / vents etc plus windlass, anchor chains, PE ladder, railings. and .25mm plasticard watertight doors. Life belts are cut from plastic rod.

TesmLQS.jpg

nPtBiLV.jpg

rtZpRbM.jpg

Currently making (or trying to make) the "Antenna" - or whatever it is - sticking out of the front of the bridge and the bridge wing searchlights:

tDbF54t.jpg

UOyoAUs.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by Murdo
  • Like 8