Scottish Fishery Protection Vessel "Jura"

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo... It's amazing how much time runs away when one is enjoying one's self!

Some update pics:

It's taken a fair amount of work to get the wheelhouse to the shape I wanted. The front isn't a slanted shape, it's two seperate slants lika shallow L (does that make sense?) which took a silly amount of fettling to get right and in this scale I'm not sure it was anywhere near worth the hassle. I've inexpertly drawn a red line to show the shape here.

JMYnODo.jpg

J0Hjrs9.jpg

Also took a while building the funnel but I'm not happy with the shape of that either. Needs more of a slant at the back and I've also noticed in a photo I was given (by David, her ex-Captain) that the funnel sits on a raised platform and doesn't go down to the wheelhouse deck so that's going to need some futtering as well.     :emo:

NGfeqBN.jpg

Made the Navigation Light placements from U Bar - one strip cut off so it's cut to an L shape and glued to the other U and a wee sliver of strip added to one side.

2Tij9sC.jpg

• Like 11

And the other wee ship - S.S. Anonymous:

Made ventilators from drilled out sprue, painted and coloured red with a sharpie. The funnel has had an Aber PE "Hand wheel" glued on top, been painted black and has has a couple of wire stays fitted. There's also some kind of skylight (inverted L and square strip) behind the funnel.

QRElBhS.jpg

Anchor winch (and the two boom winches) made from a toothpick stuck in a Dremel used as a lathe and grooves cut in it with a tiny file. Twas then painted black and drybrushed with Citadel "Chainmail" (silver).

The anchor chain was made from the same steel jewellery wire (which is very strong) as the boom cables. The wire was twisted round in a pin vise then placed on a large hammer head and bashed slightly flatter with a pin hammer.  Railings are from Tamiya 1:350 Ships Railings PE set. Front piece just two bits of plastic shaped and drilled. A small Tamiya ladder was added to the front bulhead for access to the winch area.

xuLPbbP.jpg

Had already managed to damage the tiny PE railing which was gently pushed back to shape with a scalpel.

8jWc7uf.jpg

Masts and booms made from different widths of stiff gardening wire soldered together. Cables mades from Jewellery wire and blocks from SuperGlue Gel.  

hVU4hj7.jpg

A lot of it is still blue tacked together.

• Like 12

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 19:48, Murdo said:

Made ventilators from drilled out sprue, painted and coloured red with a sharpie.

Having had to do a similar process recently for HMS BULOLO, may I ask whether each cowl ventilator was made from a single piece of sprue heated and bent to shape or from two pieces glued together and then sanded into the right shape?  Having tried (and spectacularly failed) to 3D print them (just cured to a set of Minion shaped blobs), I went down the two piece route (but using plastic tube) but none of them quite have the curve right at the back of the cowl.

• Like 2

Gidday Murdo, I've missed this thread for a little while, I've some catching up to do. She's coming along very nicely. I thought your original louvers were good but your idea to use computer ribbon able bordered on brilliance. Actually no, it WAS brilliant. I'll try to remember that trick.

Like Chewy above, I'm going to need some cowl ventilators soon myself. Were yours one piece of bent sprue or two pieces cut and joined? I've tried that but not too good. I'll have to have another go. Regards, Jeff.

On 9/7/2019 at 7:51 AM, Chewbacca said:

Having had to do a similar process recently for HMS BULOLO, may I ask whether each cowl ventilator was made from a single piece of sprue heated and bent to shape or from two pieces glued together and then sanded into the right shape?  Having tried (and spectacularly failed) to 3D print them (just cured to a set of Minion shaped blobs), I went down the two piece route (but using plastic tube) but none of them quite have the curve right at the back of the cowl.

17 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Murdo, I've missed this thread for a little while, I've some catching up to do. She's coming along very nicely. I thought your original louvers were good but your idea to use computer ribbon able bordered on brilliance. Actually no, it WAS brilliant. I'll try to remember that trick.

Like Chewy above, I'm going to need some cowl ventilators soon myself. Were yours one piece of bent sprue or two pieces cut and joined? I've tried that but not too good. I'll have to have another go. Regards, Jeff.

Sorry guys, no great expertise here. I just looked through a few kits till I found sprue gates the right size and shape. The plastic bits I wanted were then just cut, drilled, any cowl shaping done with a tiny jewellers file and sandpaper. It's not really what you want if you need to make quite a lot the same size and shape, I was just lucky. 

Come to think of it, Bandsaw Steve made quite a number of very neat ventilators for his 1/500 "Carpathia" build this summer. I don't think he posted how he made them but I'm sure he could be persuaded. He's a chap with some great innovations.

I'm pretty sure Kev (Longshanks) posted how how made them in his TID Steam Tug.

I'm working down in Englandshire just now so no access to my modelling stuff (which is why Jura and Anonymous are stalled) but back home next Friday so will happily show you what I did then, if you can wait.

<Edit>

Just remembered, I have a very brief description on how I made some other ventilators with plastic and brass rod here:

Edited by Murdo

• 4 weeks later...

Once again time has slipped away with this build. 

Work is very busy, had the rellies visiting from New Zealand and I had to finish the Zinnia so they could take her back with them.

Poor Jura hasn't been completely missed out though. To be honest, I spend a lot of time

a) staring at photos trying to figure out what I'm looking at

b) trying to figure out the detail on it

c) trying to figure out how in the world I'm going to make a reasonably convincing replica of it

All that eats surprisingly into modelling time.

So here's what I've been working on:

Breakwater, two reels (mast winches of some kind?) and anchor windlass. 21 parts to the windlass, 8 for the breakwater and 5 per reel. All currently Blue Tacked in place:

KjOLE0m.jpg

j8j0iY1.jpg

kJVCmwJ.jpg

Then decided to be stupid and make an interior for the wheelhouse... Or should it be called the bridge?

Made some "Instrument panels", seats (David must be comfy), wheel and compass binnacle. It's probably all wrong but once the windows and lid go on the wheelhouse / bridge none of this will ever be seen again:

KUK7e6R.jpg

zBOlAWf.jpg

Lmhcjpi.jpg

cScSSc6.jpg

I'm having some issues figuring out what colour is needed as David said the SFP ships were a much lighter grey than their RN counterparts and I think the mix I've used here is too dark although it looked far too light before it dried.

I also managed to break a couple of window frames and had to make new ones.

• Like 6

Praise indeed from a master scratchbuilder!

Thanks again for your tips on the plastic sheet to buy from Slaters. I bought a small selection from them and found that the "Plastikard: 0.010" (0.25mm)" is the main one I'm using for this.

I thought it would be too thin and weak ( and normal glue, i.e. Tamiya Extra thin, would "burn" through it) but it is surprisingly strong and very "shapeable" if that's a word. Much easier to form into the shape I need. If it needs a bit of strengthening I just add some of their excellent "Assorted Microstrip".

I also sent another order for more of the thin plasticard and their "Assorted Plastic Rodding" which I expected to be like the Plastruct 1mm / 2mm e.g. rod but is actually like strands of stretched sprue varing in thickness from something I can barely see with the naked eye up to about 1mm thick. The beauty of it is that it's 0.1 or 0.2 or 0.5 or 1mm thick along its entire length - something I've always found difficult to achieve with stretched sprue.

At first I was a bit annoyed then realised the worth of this stuff for the kind of tiny detail I need for 1:350. No more setting fire to sprue and pulling it with pliers for me! I'll post a pic of it soon but there's an example of it wrapped round the side and front of the wheelhouse as a hand rail. That tiny, thin strand also took Tamiya Extra thin glue well without melting, another problem I've always had with stretched sprue.

Of course I still need thicker rod for the masts / Monkey Island etc but have been toying with the idea of trying brass tube for that for strength, although in this scale it might be perfectly fine. I think I might have to strengthen the wheelhouse roof to use brass rod though.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Murdo said:

To be honest, I spend a lot of time

a) staring at photos trying to figure out what I'm looking at

b) trying to figure out the detail on it

c) trying to figure out how in the world I'm going to make a reasonably convincing replica of it

All that eats surprisingly into modelling time.

Gidday Murdo, Been there, done that, little progress to prove it!  🙂

I love the internal wheel-house detail (it seems a shame to hide it later), plus your windlass and reels. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Murdo said:

Of course I still need thicker rod for the masts / Monkey Island etc but have been toying with the idea of trying brass tube for that for strength, although in this scale it might be perfectly fine

If I'm looking at the right pics it seems to be a tripod mast with a platform midwayo. I would guess easier and self supporting. I would try in plastic rod/tube as required. 

I sometimes wonder if the initial outlay for raw materials is a factor in leading to procrastination leading to the abandoning of plans. Would £50 be the average price of a kit plus aftermarket. Even £50 would buy a lot of raw materials and a percentage would be left for future projects.

Just my thoughts .  .  .

Kev

• Like 1