Scottish Fishery Protection Vessel "Jura"

I wasn't happy with shape of her stern.

Slapped some more Isopon P38 on her bum and did some more sanding and reshaping. A lot happier with the contours now but think she still needs a bit more shaping:

spacer.png

z9wFizS.jpg

9ZEkiAq.jpg

Done for tonight.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Murdo said:

Slapped some more Isopon P38 on her bum and did some more sanding and reshaping. A lot happier with the contours now but think she still needs a bit more shaping:

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Nice curves to the rear end :whistle:

Oooh err Mrs, getting a bit raunchy here :rofl:.

Stuart

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Nice curves to the rear end :whistle:

beefy 

13 hours ago, Courageous said:

Oooh err Mrs, getting a bit raunchy here :rofl:.

Stuart

I'm starting to develope this fear that in my sleep I'm going to turn to the wife and mutter "I'm going to sand your buttock lines to better contours"

I now keep a sleeping bag in the shed, just in case...

Started a wee bit of work on the superstructure:

spacer.png

Im14SbN.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Why do i discover these fascinating builds long after they have started!

Watching any scratchbuilding is a great pastime, but there is somthing special about seeing a ship/boat build coming together (delete according to which side of the sea level you favour).

Great stuff.

Am firmly aboard on this one now.

Terry

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys.

It's slowing down a bit because of a lack of reference pics plus, the few pics I can find of Jura and her sister ship Westra show that they changed a bit over their careers.

As such I've been looking at pics of the Island Class OPVs born from the Jura but every one of them I look at seems slightly different too. Not major variations but enough to make it difficult to figure out what the Jura had so some of it is really becoming guesswork. 

Added what I think are the superstructure parts at the rear.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The vents are just Plasticard cut with a scriber and from what I can figure out some of the OPVs had it angled like that as did a later incarnation of the Westra. Time to invest in some of the Archer Fine Transfer resin vents and stuff again.

If anyone thinks the vents shouldn't be angled like that please let me know.

Also filled in some of the portholes as I think I've drilled too many.

• Like 10

It's a long time ago but I think I'm correct in saying the vent was hinged and could be either closed or held open in the angled position.  

Nice work so far. 

Roger.

Sorry, should have said, on RN OPV's.

Edited by Roger Newsome

Thanks Roger, any help at all is much appreciated.

There seems to be very little difference between the SFP boats and the RN OPVs apart from foremast positions (missing on OPVs) and OPVs had a 40mm Bofors where the Jura (and Westra) carried their RHIBs. 

• Like 1

Decided to add some of the plumbing (some kind of pipes and vents) so I cut up some electric cable for the wire inside. Pulled a strand of wire gently between the jaws of two small pliers and it straightened nicely. 

spacer.png 

Added some of the pipes and vents using the copper wire plus a handle on the door on the left (major Optivisor job). Having spent some time studying some of the photos I decided that the angled Louvre shouldn't be angled but should be aligned against the superstructure so cut it off and glued it upright:

spacer.png

Still very unhappy with that Louvre. I reckoned that as soon as paint was involved the Louvre vents would just disappear under it. I was rifling moodily through my "Spares boxes" (which my wife hates so much) looking for inspiration when I came across an ammo belt I'd made from computer Hard Disk Drive cable for some machine gun or other. 

Had one of these "lightbulb" moments and hunted down some of the HDD cables I have stashed in the "spares boxes".

spacer.png

Found the smallest one, cut a wee bit from it and CA'd a wee bit of micro strip to the side of it then glued it in place... 

spacer.png

Much better... MUCH better! Happy with this Louvre now!

Some pics for an idea of size:

spacer.png

spacer.png

And that's my eyesight done for tonight! Auld age doesn't come without its issues.

• Like 15