MD-83 Balair Minicraft kit in 1/144

The MD-80 kit is,together with the DC-8 kit,probably the best airliner kit from Minicraft.

Accurate in shape,nicely detailed and easy to build,its great fun to work on it.

When I saw that decal set from DRAW decal,I knew I had to build one of my Minicraft MD-80s in that scheme.

I remember in 1992 when Balair introduced this new livery,I often went to Zurich airport and took pictures of them and the then newly bought Airbus A310-300s

After the merger with Geneva based CTA ,Balair was renamed BalairCTA but the colour scheme stayed and the planes got the nickname parrots.

Those jets were among the most colorful ,even at that time ,and a true eyecatcher wherever they showed up.

Sadly the "Mad Dogs" are pretty much non-existent anymore on our Swiss airports,I miss the sight and sound of them.

DRAW decal provides both titles,but I opted for the simpler Balair title as I have an A310 to be made in the latter livery.

All paints are Revell enamels clear coated with Gunze Gloss clear.

Happy Hollydays,

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 20

Hi Alex,

This is another beauty! So colourful and a super smooth finish as usual.

It is a great kit, my only improvement would be to add a mm to the main landing gear to improve the 'sit'. As it is I think the kit always looks 'bogged down'.

I must add the DC4 to the list of best Minicraft airliner kits too!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

On 13/07/2019 at 20:47, Turbofan said:

Hi Alex,

This is another beauty! So colourful and a super smooth finish as usual.

It is a great kit, my only improvement would be to add a mm to the main landing gear to improve the 'sit'. As it is I think the kit always looks 'bogged down'.

I must add the DC4 to the list of best Minicraft airliner kits too!

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you very much Ian,

Yes,I thought something was not right when I worked on the landing gear.Didn't realize what exactly the issue was.

I had to correct the gear doors ,as they seemed to be too long and would not sit properly

I will keep that in mind on the other Minicraft MD-80s

20 hours ago, Moa said:

Another beautiful model.

How many of these do you have?

Thank you very much.

I still have 2 more of the Minicraft kits along with a MD-81 and a MD-90 from Eastern Express.

I allready finished the Boeing 717 (MD-95) from Eastern Express,its a great kit,so I expect the same quality from the other EE kits