Bristol Superfreighter ancient Airfix kit in 1/72

Love it! All the above is echoed here!

There seems to be a bit of modelling of the older kits going on around here at present and I for one am really enjoying seeing such lovely jobs being made of this "classics" (maybe it's me age! 🤨) and this is one of them - nice work and thanks for showing!

ATB
Rick

On 14/07/2019 at 09:21, Bullbasket said:

Lovely build, and it brought back memories. Our house was only two miles from the end of the runway at Southend airport, and these used to fly in and out regularly in the 50's (BAF). Noisier than modern day jets.

John.

I doubt it was BAF in the 1950s. BAF was formed when BUA merged with Caldedonian in 1970 to form British Caledonian. The car carrying division of BUA (then called British United Air Ferries - BUAF) was not included in the merger so formed as a separate airline renamed as British Air Ferries (BAF).

I've always loved the Bristol Freighter in all its various guises. My memory of the type is watching Aer Turas' Mk 31 rumbling in and out of Dublin - usually carrying racehorses to and from the UK. They only retired theirs in 1972.

On 7/14/2019 at 12:50 AM, Retired Bob said:

Nice to see this old kit built, looks great on your diorama.  If memory serves me right one of these aircraft is featured in the James Bond movie: Diamonds are Forever.

I think the aircraft you saw was actually an Aviation Traders ATL-98 Carvair (Car Via Air), one of a total of about 20 converted DC-4s? 

I am however willing to stand corrected😀. Maybe this will be a future Airfix Vintage Classic?.Not aware of any other 1/72 kit but, again, I am happy to be corrected

Allan.

Edited by Albeback52
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

I doubt it was BAF in the 1950s. BAF was formed when BUA merged with Caldedonian in 1970 to form British Caledonian. The car carrying division of BUA (then called British United Air Ferries - BUAF) was not included in the merger so formed as a separate airline renamed as British Air Ferries (BAF).

Well, in my defence, it was a long time ago and my memory was never that good. A bit of research has found that it was BUAF, and it was the 60's, not the 50's. The 50's would have been Channel Airways, Channel Airbridge and BUA. 

Excellent build of a classic kit!

I agree with you about box art - how many of us were inspired as kids by the superb paintings on the Airfix boxes!?

Well done!

:goodjob:👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kapam said:

I agree with you about box art - how many of us were inspired as kids by the superb paintings on the Airfix boxes!?

Yes, the Roy Cross artwork was brilliant, my favourite was the Sunderland dueling with a Condor over a convoy, though picking a favourite Airfix box artwork is really difficult as they were all so good.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

I think the aircraft you saw was actually an Aviation Traders ATL-98 Carvair (Car Via Air), one of a total of about 20 converted DC-4s? 

Very possibly, I have not seen the film for quite a while, I just remember that JB went by air ferry to Amsterdam, strange that these enterprises were about when travel was not so widespread as today and there was less money around?

21 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Very possibly, I have not seen the film for quite a while, I just remember that JB went by air ferry to Amsterdam, strange that these enterprises were about when travel was not so widespread as today and there was less money around?

The Bristol Freighter was actually the mainstay of the air ferry business for a while but, it was hampered by lack of capacity. Flying generally was the province of the well off back then and, of course there were a lot fewer cars around. I guess the increasing use of cars plus the availability of cheap(er) , mass transport by seagoing ferry killed off the air ferry business.

Allan

• Thanks 1