Bristol Superfreighter ancient Airfix kit in 1/72

That looks fantastic... well done! Great selection of passengers and vehicles as well: I'm looking forward to hearing where the guy in the Isetta bubble car is headed, and where the couple with the Belgian 250 GTO are going to be racing this weekend...

best,

M.

• Like 3

Ugly?!  I'll have you know the Superfreighter is considered a thing of beauty (by me).  Seriously though, a fantastic model and diorama.  Did you sand off all the rivets?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Ugly?!  I'll have you know the Superfreighter is considered a thing of beauty (by me).  Seriously though, a fantastic model and diorama.  Did you sand off all the rivets?

Thank you very much.

I tried to keep all the rivets on the model,wasn't easy though with all the sanding

• Like 1

Nice to see this old kit built, looks great on your diorama.  If memory serves me right one of these aircraft is featured in the James Bond movie: Diamonds are Forever.

• Like 2

Lovely model and brings back a lot of memories. Built the kit as a kid (long time ago) and had a good look round Atlantic’s when they acquired one in the 80’s. Like you I was surprised how big the thing was.   They were the days when you could just rock up to the hanger door and politely ask if you could have a look round - those day have gone!

• Like 1

Lovely build, and it brought back memories. Our house was only two miles from the end of the runway at Southend airport, and these used to fly in and out regularly in the 50's (BAF). Noisier than modern day jets.

John.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, petetasker said:

Lovely model and brings back a lot of memories. Built the kit as a kid (long time ago) and had a good look round Atlantic’s when they acquired one in the 80’s. Like you I was surprised how big the thing was.   They were the days when you could just rock up to the hanger door and politely ask if you could have a look round - those day have gone!

Thank you very much.

WOW...I wish I could have experienced those days.Would have been great to see those planes for real and walk around them

• Like 1

Oh yes,

I remember those days too. I lived near the other end of the flights from Britain, that is;  Rotterdam- Zestienhoven !   As a young lad (born 1950) I saw them daily. Later the Superfreighters replaced by the Carvair. 

Indeed, now I realise what a wonderful time it was.  All those charterflights with Ambassadors, Avro York, Vickers Vikings, Doves and Herons....sigh.... !

The Airfix Superfreighter was my first large model. It faded quietly away, but fortunately I could buy a new one. 

With found memories,

JohnHaa

• Like 4

Great build Alex1978.... :thumbsup:

I read an interesting story about Silver City Superfreighters - apparently they were not allowed to carry passengers unless they were accompanied by a car or other vehicle.

This was part of an agreement with other 'pure' passenger airlines - fair enough.

But some clever soul reckoned that a pedal cycle constituted a 'vehicle' and was able to get around the rules by taking a bike on board and fly the route much cheaper.

It even ended up with 'passengers' being able to hire a bicycle at the departure airfield, board the Superfreighter with said 'vehicle' - and be carried across the Channel for a modest fare - you could then hand the hired bicycle back in at the destination airfield.

The practice was stopped when the other 'pure passenger' airlines found out and fought to have the practice banned.

It might be a purely apocryphal tale - but it's a good one>

Ken

• Like 5

To add to this merry topic, I shoot this photo of my second very old Superfreighter.  Sorry it is a bit on the dark site. The weather was not cooperative this morning.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

JohnHaa

• Like 5

Hello Alex,

During my youth I lived on the approach route to Rotterdam Airport. (1955-1968)

These aircraft were flying over the house at relatively low altitude several times per day.

I think there were to company's that operated them.

We called them "The Nose". Seeing these models bring back good memories.

These (very old)  models are finished to near perfection. Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Orion.

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

They were Channel Air (Bristol Super Freighter)and Britisch United (Carvair)

Regards, Orion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ivand said:

What a great result! The diorama really adds a lot of atmosphere.

Are the vehicles in 1/87?

Thank you very much.

Yes,the cars and figures are 1/87