Falklands Bravo November pilots uniform colours

LaurieS

Need help again please. I have two pilots I am putting in the cockpit.

After the uniform colours, plenty of pictures of the Fleet air arm pilots but non of the RAF helicopters.

After

The overall colours

Gloves

Helmet

The PJ figures have moulded in seat belts. Those belts which I have in PE are light blue. Would this be correct ?

Thanks in advance.

Laurie

Hi Laurie

Let me say something about the Argentinian Chinooks. Let's start that all were CH-47C versions there were 4 of them

2 from Argentinian Air force originally  bought for Antartic tasks/deployment so they received  2 color camouflaged and 3 MG Browning 12.7 mm one at each door and one at the ramp, both return to the continent before the surrender

And 2 Argentinian Army on normal US Helo Green drab no weapons,  one got with mechanical problems (the one captured) and the other one was strafed by Sea Harriers on the ground

I hope you enjoy this 

Cheers 

Armando

Best link this one http://malvinasguerraaerea.blogspot.com/2018/11/helicopteros-chinook-de-la-fuerza-aerea-argentina-en-la-guerra-de-malvinas.html

Hi Laurie and Armando,

Going off on a tangent again, however, herewith some images of the lead up and results of the Harrier attack on the Chinooks and Pumas on Mount Kent.

Looking at their kit: suitcases and briefcases etc., perhaps they thought they would be moving into a hotel.

spacer.png

The ground was so hard that trenches couldn't be dug and therefore tents had to be put up in the open ground.

spacer.png

Chinook and Puma hit.  Note the close proximity of the tents to the aircraft.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Puma damaged

spacer.png

Remains of the Chinook when I returned to Mount Kent in 2009

spacer.png

Sorry that I can't help with the pilots seatbelt colours, although I think I remember the troop's seatbelts being blue.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

On 13/07/2019 at 19:13, bootneck said:

Hi Laurie and Armando,

Going off on a tangent again, however, herewith some images of the lead up and results of the Harrier attack on the Chinooks and Pumas on Mount Kent.

Looking at their kit: suitcases and briefcases etc., perhaps they thought they would be moving into a hotel.

The ground was so hard that trenches couldn't be dug and therefore tents had to be put up in the open ground.

Chinook and Puma hit.  Note the close proximity of the tents to the aircraft.

Puma damaged

Remains of the Chinook when I returned to Mount Kent in 2009

Sorry that I can't help with the pilots seatbelt colours, although I think I remember the troop's seatbelts being blue.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike for all those photos. Will help with putting together a final diorama.

The PE for the cabin seats are fawn from pictures of the cabin they seem to be have been that colour.

I suspect pilots had that washed out olive green overalls. Put it another way I doubt if any one will notice.

Thanks again to you both for your time.

Regards

Laurie

The seat belts in the cockpit are black, in fact everything in the cockpit area is black apart from a few switches. 

The aircrew flying suits would have more than likely been green all over, but the crew may have worn disruptive pattern jackets over the top of these. I say this as they often did when flying in the UK when I worked on them. The seat belts in the cabin area are a Greeny colour or roughly that colour. 

As I mentioned before I do have a book which has walkaround pictures in it if you would like any of them. The majority of them are for the Chinook Mk2, but there are few differences between the two marks, and if I can I could point them out to you.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that the pilots and aircrew wore grey or green immersion suits over their flying overalls, as most flying was over water.  It was winter in that area, although it was May/June and the temp. was usually down around freezing, so DPM jackets would likely have been worn over the immersuit suit; plus a green-covered self-inflating lifejacket over that.  There is a photo of Sea King aircrew in Immersion suits, on page 36 of the Osprey title "Battle for the Falklands (3) Air Forces".  It is copyright so I don't think I can scan and show here.

Mike

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Puma hit

I wonder if this the one that was bought back here and ended up at Westlands for at least 10 years  ,eventually  at Weston-Super-Mare for repairs to the centre section explosion damage and coaches full of MODPE faffing about once month with clip boards and scrawling ball point pens . I worked on it and we were  fitting RAF MODs to it in 1999 . Still there when I left . Talk about waste of money .

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 10:07 PM, bzn20 said:

I wonder if this the one that was bought back here and ended up at Westlands for at least 10 years  ,eventually  at Weston-Super-Mare for repairs to the centre section explosion damage and coaches full of MODPE faffing about once month with clip boards and scrawling ball point pens . I worked on it and we were  fitting RAF MODs to it in 1999 . Still there when I left . Talk about waste of money .

That would be ZE449, the former Argentine Coast Guard PA-12, c/n 1591. It was delivered to the RAF in March 2001 to full HC.1 standard and was involved in an accident while deployed to Kenya in July 2009. Initially classed as Cat.4 damage it was returned to the UK but was reclassed as Cat.5 (beyond economical repair). After being stored at Shawbury it was rebuilt to static condition and is used for ground instructional duties at Lichfield.

• Like 1

Hi

They would have had the same kit as the Navy as it was the same kit for all Services. They would be in immersion suits as winter time and over sea.

Cloves could be Green or white depends which was in stock at the time. The helmet would have been green with a cross black stripe ie black tape covering the silver tape the black tape would have only been taken off if they ditched in the sea and need rescue and as in a combat zone the black tape would have been fitted as this was a mod.

Boots black. LSJ green. This was my job in the RAF.

They would have had other bits of kit also just to keep warm so each would be diffrent.

Hope helps

Paul

• Like 2

I think Paul is the only person that has actually answered the original question!

I have taken shots of the seats of RAF Chinooks and these have black seatbelts, however these are a lot more recent than Falklands era.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulT 876 said:

Hi

They would have had the same kit as the Navy as it was the same kit for all Services. They would be in immersion suits as winter time and over sea.

Cloves could be Green or white depends which was in stock at the time. The helmet would have been green with a cross black stripe ie black tape covering the silver tape the black tape would have only been taken off if they ditched in the sea and need rescue and as in a combat zone the black tape would have been fitted as this was a mod.

They would have had other bits of kit also just to keep warm so each would be diffrent.

Hope helps

Paul

Thanks Paul. Found a couple of RAF pilots on other aircraft & came to the conclusion they may be the same.

Can imagine on the cold thing. Dopey dicks on the Hermes had the pilots on call in their Harriers on deck.

Ct.Black & Sharkey Ward in  Invincible refused & had them waiting in the warm.

Thanks again Paul.

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

I think Paul is the only person that has actually answered the original question!

I have taken shots of the seats of RAF Chinooks and these have black seatbelts, however these are a lot more recent than Falklands era.

Thanks for that Chally. Problems with all the pictures different ears & impossible to gauge if USA or UK.

Laurie

2 hours ago, PaulT 876 said:

Hi

Hope helps

Paul

Blimey, they've let Squippers on the site, or Rag Packers as we knew them at Hullavington.

Standards will drop now.

Having said that, there are Bombheads on here so I guess we've already taken the plunge !!!

😉😜😜

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Having said that, there are Bombheads on here so I guess we've already taken the plunge !!!

Now, Now, if it does not carry any weapons you might as well paint British Airways on the side. :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Mike changed the title to Falklands Bravo November pilots uniform colours

I was into architecture in Jersey. Does this count to join the club ?

I once help push a clients twin engined aircraft out of the hanger

so I do have vast experience. I also wore a helmet in flight that should

clinch it.

Laurie😆

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Careful,  Admiral Mod was a bombhead and he can send you on a Pierhead Jump if you get him grumpy. :poke:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, PaulT 876 said:

Hi

I did my time at Big H my 1st tour then up your place at Scampton then up north to Lossie.

Paul

Did a couple of years at Big H as my first tour as well. There were some very very odd rag packers there.  I swear some of the 'Ladies' could have gone through the East German Womans Shotput training scheme, but were probably considered too manly. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Careful,  Admiral Mod was a bombhead and he can send you on a Pierhead Jump if you get him grumpy. :poke:

Mike

Mate, some of the RAF Bombheads were proper odd, time spent in bomb dumps would reveal any number of bazaar things nailed to the wall, in boxes, tied to a string or chain. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Blimey, they've let Squippers on the site, or Rag Packers as we knew them at Hullavington.

Standards will drop now.

😉😜😜

Now now play nice otherwise 💥😉

• Like 2