1:32 Tamiya Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc

On 12/07/2019 at 23:29, Kitchen Modeller said:

Beautiful spit you have there sir - superb paint job and detailing - engine is gorgeous. Well done on the model and your triumph over cancer.  

Thanks mate! I think building the model was easier than beating cancer, which I had to do twice. I have my follow-up CT scan next week, and I've got my fingers crossed.   :)

On 13/07/2019 at 01:24, CedB said:

Another beautiful model Bill - gorgeous.

Thanks for sharing the build and I'll look forward to the next one! :) 

Thanks Ced. I'm looking forward to the next one, too, but I can't decide what to do! Bloody old age indecision...    :)

On 13/07/2019 at 02:25, Greg Law said:

That's a very well executed model, to say the least. It is a pity it can't be closed up. I would like to see it whole as well. 

I can put the panels on individually, and the magnets hold. If I put them all on at once, there are some noticeable gaps between panels. This is all due to the extra thickness of the photoetch chafing strips from Eduard that I added. Based on the tight tolerances Tamiya hold on the rest of the model, I knew this would be a problem. But since my intent was to display the engine, I really wanted to also show those chafing strips. They look so nice.

I won't have this problem when I get around to building my 1:32 Spitfire Mk.22 (the old Matchbox/Revell kit) since the aftermarket correction for the cowling is one big hunk of resin. No opening up that one!    :)

On 13/07/2019 at 18:48, Cookenbacher said:

That looks amazing Bill, two icons in one build: Spitfire and Merlin.

Well, three if you count me.    :)

On 14/07/2019 at 11:04, Vinnie said:

Superb work Bill. This may just give me the impetus to get back to the workbench in the depths of my chemo.

Sorry to hear you're going through that. It's a lousy disease. I found modelling and my other hobbies really important in keeping my mind clear, and just helping to maintain a quality of life. Good luck to you, and if I can help in any way, or offer any advice, please send me a PM.

23 hours ago, stevej60 said:

That's a fine looking Spitfire Bill,great work as usual and I love the clean finish too.

Thanks! Lately, I've been quite fond of clean finishes or special display schemes. I think it's because I'm too lazy to do all that weathering!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I'm still going to put the model on a base, and add the standing pilot figure from Tamiya. Can anyone share the proper colours for his uniform and hat?

• Like 3

Master Class ! . Uniform colours , Humbrol 96 if he`s RAF or a matt navy blue if he`s Australian or New Zealander , Both serving in RAF squadrons .

Good luck and good health ! .

Don .

16 minutes ago, Don149 said:

Master Class ! . Uniform colours , Humbrol 96 if he`s RAF or a matt navy blue if he`s Australian or New Zealander , Both serving in RAF squadrons .

Good luck and good health ! .

Don .

Thanks. How about the Canadians? Cameron was RCAF, 402 Squadron.

Cheers,

Bill

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

I'm still going to put the model on a base, and add the standing pilot figure from Tamiya. Can anyone share the proper colours for his uniform and hat?

Here are some photos of my Tamiya standing pilot figure, in case they should be of help......

spacer.png

spacer.png

As an alternative, I can recommend this one from Ultracast......

spacer.png

spacer.png

Pat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, patmaquette said:

As an alternative, I can recommend this one from Ultracast......

Ooh, I like that one better! Time to open my wallet again.   :)

Nice work painting the figures - that's something I don't have any real experience with. Did you use oils?

Cheers,

Bill

Apologies to the Canadians , they too wore RAF blue , I remember seeing them during the war . They had the CANADA shoulder titles

and the same style RAF cap badge but with RCAF in the centre , ( none commissioned ranks ) .

• Thanks 1

Very, very nice. Just my cup of tea in terms of weathering - lovely and subtle and not ‘in your face’. A beauty!

• Thanks 1

On 18/07/2019 at 16:37, patmaquette said:

Hi Bill,

Most of the painting is in acrylics with final touches with oils. I may have some in-progress photos if they are of help to you.

Pat

Thanks Pat. I'll be ordering the Ultracast figure, and while I wait for it to arrive, I'll practice with the Tamiya figure. I think I also have a 35mm US Army grunt somewhere that I won at a model show raffle. I can practice on him too. I just remembered that I have some experience with oils - I did a paint-by-number Last Supper when I was 12. Can't be that different, eh?   :)

On 19/07/2019 at 14:53, Don149 said:

Apologies to the Canadians , they too wore RAF blue , I remember seeing them during the war . They had the CANADA shoulder titles

and the same style RAF cap badge but with RCAF in the centre , ( none commissioned ranks ) .

Thanks Don. Hmm...hadn't thought about badges or patches. I may be making my own decals again.

On 19/07/2019 at 15:24, tomprobert said:

Very, very nice. Just my cup of tea in terms of weathering - lovely and subtle and not ‘in your face’. A beauty!

Thanks Tom! I've been guilty of over-weathering in the past, so I'm glad you like it.    :)

On 19/07/2019 at 16:09, petetasker said:

Absolute stunner - beautiful work.

Thanks Pete! For my next trick, I'm going to try and make the 1:72 Heller Gloster Javelin T.3 into a stunner. Having a good look at the raw materials, I think it will be a bit different than building the big Tamiya Spitfire!   :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

• 1 month later...

I don't know how I missed this RFI @Navy Bird. I picked up on it when I was catching your latest Javelin build.

That really is one of the best model Spitfires I have seen Bill. Absolutely beautifully constructed and finished.

Now I'll get back to the Javelin!

Terry

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

That really is one of the best model Spitfires I have seen Bill. Absolutely beautifully constructed and finished.

Now I'll get back to the Javelin!

Thanks Terry. It certainly was a fun build, and outside of my usual scale. The Javelin is another story...

19 minutes ago, One 48 said:

Beautiful, is the engine stock ... no AM?

Thanks. Tamiya include the engine, engine bearers, and the main coolant pipes, but I tarted it up a lot. There is some aftermarket, mainly the ignition harnesses which are Eduard photoetch. All the hydraulic lines, the smaller coolant lines, and the rest of the detailing is all made from wire and assorted bits of plastic and resin from the spares box. I tried to follow actual photos of the Merlin installation in a Spitfire IX as much as I could, but if I tried to include everything I'd probably still be working on it!   :)

Have a look at the WIP, everything is there in all its glory. Lots of extra detail in the cockpit, too.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bill that is a beautiful Spitfire, great work fella, great work indeed.  I am sorry to have missed a great deal of it , but I am still working on my great project (the house, major works) and what with work and family, I don't get too much modelling time, although I have entered GBs .

Hope you are well

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1