Humbrol Acrylic Gloss Aerosol going cloudy

AntPhillips

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has had any issues with Humbrol Acrylic Gloss Aerosol going cloudy. I'm finishing off 2 kits that have sat on the shelf of doom for a while, both have been sprayed with Humbrol Acrylic 155 Olive Drab from an Aerosol and then gloss coated with Humbrol 35 Acrylic Gloss also from an Aerosol.

The first kit (a Dragon Sherman Firefly) had a lovely glossy finish, perfect for decalling and pin washing, but the second kit (a Tamiya Universal Carrier) has steadfastly refused to take on a glossy sheen.

The kits both have the same base coat of OD from the same can, but the Gloss is from 2 different cans, having  run out between kits.

I put the first gloss coat on the carrier a few weeks ago before disappearing on holiday and it took on a satin finish, so it's had plenty of time to cure, I sprayed a second coat a couple of evenings ago, hoping it would build up the gloss aspect and it did look nice and evenly glossy when sprayed but on drying took on a milky eggshell like finish. I've subsequently resprayed it with another light coat of OD which has covered the milkiness, but I'm reluctant to put another coat of Gloss on.

I'm well versed in getting the best out of an aerosol, warming the can, making sure its well shaken, making sure the ambient temperature is good etc. but I've never had this issue before.

Any body have any thoughts?

Cheers and happy modelling

Ant