Advice needed, Trumpeter 1/24 Hurricane MK.II D

Zack

Hello Hurricane fans,
Had a note from a friend that this item was on sale on evilbay at 30% of the retail price and realized to late that it was a MK.II D.

I have only limited references to this version, except the ones I can find on the net I am on very thin ice.
Anything I should look out for when building this kit?

And a question - the instructions call for "Medium grey green" for all of the cockpit interior except IP and stick.
I recently built the Airfix 1/48 Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib and for this kit the instructions called for Humbrol 56 (Alluminium Metallic) for the tubular cage and lower parts of inner cockpit walls, and Humbrol 78 (Cockpit Green) for the upper sides and the seat armor only. 
Did the standard change over time?

I have the Fly 1/32Mk.I in "the wait" and here the instructions also call for the full cockpit to be painted green, RAF interior green. Then again Fly wants you to paint the wheel wells in this green also.

Anyway, tips and hints are most welcome!

Zack

Edited by Zack
spelling

12 hours ago, Zack said:

And a question - the instructions call for "Medium grey green" for all of the cockpit interior except IP and stick.
I recently built the Airfix 1/48 Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib and for this kit the instructions called for Humbrol 56 (Alluminium Metallic) for the tubular cage and lower parts of inner cockpit walls, and Humbrol 78 (Cockpit Green) for the upper sides and the seat armor only. 
Did the standard change over time?

Yes.  by the time of the IId Grey green is more likely, there is a colour shot of a KZ295 a Mk.II with all grey-green.

Wheel wells by this time were the underside colour

EDIT see here

12 hours ago, Zack said:

I have the Fly 1/32Mk.I in "the wait" and here the instructions also call for the full cockpit to be painted green, RAF interior green. Then again Fly wants you to paint the wheel wells in this green also.

Mk.I?  No, that will be like the Airfix instructions,  all aluminium paint, including wheel wells.

I'll dig out the relevant links/posts later.  

see above.

A word of warning, the Fly kits look very good, but their marking research consists of finding a pretty profile and using that as the basis for the decals,  in the case of the IIc kit,  a couple of very famous profiles no one has ever seen the photos of....

12 hours ago, Zack said:

Had a note from a friend that this item was on sale on evilbay at 30% of the retail price and realized to late that it was a MK.II D.

I have only limited references to this version, except the ones I can find on the net I am on very thin ice.
Anything I should look out for when building this kit?

Hmm, I have not seen the Trumpy IId in the flesh, but I suspect it is their IIc with added underwing 40mm guns. (the IId should have some different wing panelling, but is basically like a IIc) 

if it has the IIc cannon, you can make a IIc, or if get some after market ones, and the same applies,  or build an unarmed one. 

Lots of marking options for the IIc BTW.   Not many for the IId.

I'll have a look at my IIc later.

• Like 1

Right,

Trumpeter kit. 

some searching revealed that the IID boxing is variant specific, and they do not provide the 20mm cannon, or the wing leading edge panels, or the bulged cannon bay doors.

but, the wing is still the basic IIc wing

AFAIK, this is the difference

hurri2d.jpg&key=f8695e00c46acee9fc2ee61d

note lack of rear doors, and a smaller D shape door inboard instead.

IId parts, mnius the 40m guns, on the right, note trop intake, but no standard carb intake, despite this being one of the marking options.

55ed2281a7000.jpg

IIc specific parts on right

55ed56fd1bd6e.jpg

the bottom right tree is the standard carb intake,  not in the trop boxings.

I also checked my IIc, and, the devil in in the detail,  Trumpy have used the same radiator parts in both the Mk.i and Mk.II kits, 

55ed5712b76a4.jpg

except the Mk.II radiator is deeper,  they have laos used the Mk.II cores, with the circular centre, for their Mk.I... so the rad is not right for either version.   I suspect this means the standard carb intake will also be wrong, I'm guessing they used the Mk.I 

here's a Mk.II rad

Hawker_Hurricane_assembly_radiator.jpg

the other kit glitches.

the decals are inaccurate.

the spinner shape is  not pointy enough.

the rubber tyres have block tread, wartime are smooth.

and it is covered in holes.... Hurricanes eitehr have flush rivets (leading edge of wing) or dome head. Not holes.

though the actual airframe shapes are very impressive.  As I have said before, why Trumpy have not scaled this down to 48th and 72nd is beyond me...

has drawings of the wing panels

A scale plan of more use....here you go.

Should be 1/24, from the old book on detailing the 1/24th Airfix Hurricane.

HurricaneIIdwingpanels1-24th.jpg&key=2fe

if not, I scanned a ruler at the top which should allow you to scale it. Bear in mind you have the top and one side to act as reference for rescribing the rear panel. [compare to IIC drawing in linked thread]

Also handy as has outline and position of gun for those who wish to detail further.

neat bit of film on the iid and the guns here

this if you want to open up the gun pods

here's more 

Remember IID was not widely used, only 300 or so were built (out of nearly 15,000)

Some threads related, as the Mk IV also was built to be fitted with the 40mm's, though it could carry other loads, the IID could ONLY carry the 40mm gun's.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59225-hurricane-mk-iv-service/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956860-hurricane-mk-iv-asymmetrical-loadouts/
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234977358-hurricane-iid-in-seac-service/

more IID

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963507-all-the-hurricane-questions-you-want-to-ask-here/page-10

finally, if you make an armoured radiator, you could make a Hurricane IV, some had the 40mm guns,  the early style of rockets supplied in the Airfix Hawker Typhoon kit are the right type for a rocket firing version.

Have a careful read of the links, they should answer most if not all of your questions.... 

HTH

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1