Assorted slide scans from 1958.

Pete M.

Hi to all. I have just purchased an 'el-cheapo' slide scanner, and have been going through my late Father's 35mm slides. Unfortunately the older ones were left for many years in an open box, and have suffered from exposure and dust. I have done a clean-up with iso alcohol that has got the worst of the muck off, but still not the greatest.

These were all taken in 1958 when dad was sent by the RNZAF to do a course at Rolls Royce in Derby on the Avon engines that were fitted to the Canberra's we were about to receive.

Film appears to be a mixture of Kodak and Agfa...the difference is very noticeable!

The first lot appear to have been taken at one of the UK airports.... I'm sure one of you will be able to ID where it is?

rUUF10Z.jpg

TWA Boeing 707, Avro York and Dakotas UK 1958.

tujI3sV.jpg

BOAC Comet UK 1958.

h3QxNE5.jpg

BOAC Britannia UK 1958.

E4DD6lC.jpg

Air France Caravelle UK 1958.

6XFQwCi.jpg

Viscounts, Dakota and TU104 ? UK 1958.

gDNj1Q2.jpg

Air India Super Constellation UK 1958.

YDss9el.jpg

TU104 UK 1958.

Xee0BYG.jpg

Viscounts UK 1958.

DbysLNf.jpg

BOAC Comet and KLM Constellation Karachi 1958.

sx6PiUR.jpg

RNZAF Hastings and RAAF Hercules, RAAF Amberly, Queensland 1958. My father was flying in the Hastings, so a long trip to the UK!

yQfM4gv.jpg

RAAF Hercules, Darwin? 1958.

uKnm581.jpg

RAF Transport Command Comet at Karachi 1958.

8KXayR9.jpg

And finally a domestic New Zealand NAC Viscount at Rongotai in Wellington circa 1959.

Pete M.

Edited by Pete M.
Correction to caption.
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Hi Steve. It's a Kogan KASCNCMB51B 5-in-1 combo scanner. They were selling on-line direct from Kogan at NZ$109.00 instead of the usual $199.00 from Dick Smith's etc.

Only saves at 96dpi, but does the job. Can scan negatives, slides, photos etc.

I'll see if I can find the original link. https://www.kogan.com/nz/buy/combo-scanner-5-1-B/?utm_campaign=postsaleorderconfirm&utm_medium=email&utm_source=kogan

Now back to their normal $199.00 but comes up on special every couple of months!

Cheers,

Pete M.

Edited by Pete M.
updated info.
  • Thanks 1

What great photos !! Mine were all lost in so many house/country moves, to my great regret.

The first group look like they may have been taken at London Airport, from the Queens Building, the mecca in the 50's & 60's for the air spotting anoraks, of which, unashamedly, I was/am one ! No chance of getting up close & personal with airliners nowadays, even if one was so interested.

My brothers and my regular visits yielded the first arrivals of many of the early jets, Boeing 707, DC8, Caravelle, Tu104, Comets Srs 1 & 4, along with the DC fleet, Connies, Britts, Yorks, Ambasadors as well as the odd and unusual freighter - Noratlas, Commando, etc.

The Caravelle suggested in the last of the English photos would appear to be a Viscount, an indication of the large number of overseas airlines which bought the model. As well as the usual suspect, BEA, the first in the line wears Lufthansa livery.

Quite brought back my early adolescence, Pete, many thanks for sharing them and they have lasted well in the passage of time.

Rog

34 minutes ago, roginoz said:

What great photos !! Mine were all lost in so many house/country moves, to my great regret.

The first group look like they may have been taken at London Airport, from the Queens Building, the mecca in the 50's & 60's for the air spotting anoraks, of which, unashamedly, I was/am one ! No chance of getting up close & personal with airliners nowadays, even if one was so interested.

My brothers and my regular visits yielded the first arrivals of many of the early jets, Boeing 707, DC8, Caravelle, Tu104, Comets Srs 1 & 4, along with the DC fleet, Connies, Britts, Yorks, Ambasadors as well as the odd and unusual freighter - Noratlas, Commando, etc.

The Caravelle suggested in the last of the English photos would appear to be a Viscount, an indication of the large number of overseas airlines which bought the model. As well as the usual suspect, BEA, the first in the line wears Lufthansa livery.

Quite brought back my early adolescence, Pete, many thanks for sharing them and they have lasted well in the passage of time.

Rog

Hi Rog. I don't think it's a Viscount as the tail fin is a different shape, and the rear door is opened forwards rather than to the rear as all the Viscounts. I'll have annother look at the original.

Cheers,

Pete M.

1 hour ago, roginoz said:

Rog

Hi Rog. Looking again, and doing a Google search, It is a Viscount..it appears they had two diferent types of cabin door, an almost circular one that opened forwards, and a recangular one that opened to the rear. Caption now corrected.

I'm not a civil aircraft modeller and have done very little research on them.  :oops:

Edited by Pete M.
Addition to text.

Nice pics of ancient days at Heathrow!  Fourth image down does show an Air France Caravelle with Viscounts in foreground.  Noticed the two different BEA schemes. Must have been at some point during the change to the red square scheme.  And different variants of Viscounts  with 'squared doors' and oval doors! Wonder whose Dakotas appear in those pics?

Like  the antipodean scenes too!

Ah, them were the days! :) A little before my time. I first went to LHR in 1963 and I was only 5! Lovely memories of great machines. Thanks for sharing.

Martin

Paul J - I think most of the Dakotas were also BEA, note the Union flag on the tailplanes, similar to the BEA Viscounts. I'm pretty sure they were used on some internal flights. We flew to Jersey on one such in the early 60's - bloody noisy, it was !

Looks like all the photos were taken on the same day, given the positioning of the aircraft on the tarmac. The enormous building in the background was [still is ?] the BOAC maintenance facility; back in the day, the airport used to run bus trips over there for the interest of ardent plane spotters. Not something one would expect in this day and age. 

Rog