Toryu – Kawasaki's heavy fighter that inspired my Alias

Michael,

You did a very good build, it was and still is good model.

My compliments that you covered the rear part of the canopy.  You did your homework well....😄

I agree with you, it is a very nice plane, so I build three versions of it.  The early version , your version, after that I converted one into a Ki-102 Randy. I will show them in future.

Thanks for showing us.

Greetings

JohnHaa

• Thanks 1

@russ c @JohnHaa @SafetyDad

My special thanks to you guys for appreciating my effort on this old but excellent kit. For me it is very satisfying to upgrade vintage kits, no matter whether I built them some long time ago or whether they are fresh from my considerable stash. I'm sometimes astonished when fellow modellers praise the latest product in the market for coming together with no effort (or even no glue...). Of course we all like new and extraordinary kits (once in a while) but where's the challenge? I have the highest respect for those 'artists' who spend months on a scratch-build or vac form model, or make the best of a less perfect kit.

Thanks again and happy modelling! Michael

• Like 3

That's fantastic.

Trying to work out how to mask & paint a scheme like that would drive me crazy!

And I doubt it would turn out half as good as your work has.

:clap:

• Thanks 1

On 15/07/2019 at 08:07, kapam said:

That's fantastic.

Trying to work out how to mask & paint a scheme like that would drive me crazy!

And I doubt it would turn out half as good as your work has

15 hours ago, Amo Aero said:

Excellent rendition of there reticulated camo scheme!

Thank you for your kind comments!

Looking at my work after some time has passed now, I'm surprised myself that I had the patience... I enlarged the top surfaces from an old Profile Publications 5-view drawing to 1/48 and printed them. With the help of ordinary carbon paper I then transferred the pattern onto the grey-green camouflage. To sketch the fuselage blotches I took a very soft pencil and drew the outlines by hand. Finally I completed them with green colour. Not too difficult after all.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1

Really really nice. I much appreciate the photography too and the figures in the last pictures that give an impression of the plane's size.

Edited by SAT69
misspell
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad you commented on my build, and I was able to check your posts and find this. This is absolutely beautiful! The finish and presentation is the crisp and delicate look that I always strive for (but often have trouble achieving) with my models. I need to follow along next time you start posting work in progress. 

• Thanks 1

When did you complete your (pictured) Nichimo Toryu? 

Very nice. 👍 I like your addition of ground crew figures. Still to build, I have Hasegawa's 1/48 regular release 1919 Ki-45Kai Tei in the stash. I do wish Hasegawa would start including IJM flight crew figures in their new tool 1/48 kits as they do in their 1/32 and as Tamiya has done in their 1/48 'since forever' though.

In your research, did you come across any original colour photographs of the type, not colourised or colour plates?

Agree with you that the "Nick" had the most aesthetically pleasing lines, particularly the long nosed variant. Although to be fair, though conceived for different roles, it's not aesthetically dissimilar from the step nosed "Dinahs" about which I think the same. Once can see in the two of them the prevailing design philosophy married to restrictive Japanese powerplant technology/availablity of the time.  Interesting to note that the two Japanese aircraft of arguably the most aesthetically beautiful lines produced during that period came from Kawasaki in their Ki-45 & later Ki-61. 

Thanks for sharing your Nichimo story Toryu.

Thanks Biggles, for the kind words. My Toryu model was finished in 2011.

I whole-heartedly agree with your statement about the Ki-61 and Ki-45. Although it is a more conventional Japanese fighter I would also rank the Ki-84 among the most beautiful single-seaters of WWII - only matched perhaps by the Spitfire and P-51.

On 07/08/2020 at 23:10, Bigglesof266 said:

restrictive Japanese powerplant technology/availablity of the time

Actually Japanese powerplants had the best power/weight and power/diameter ratio of all WWII radial engines in all three main performance categories - 1000 hp (Nakajima Sakae), 1500 hp (Mitsubishi Kinsei) and 2000 hp (Nakajima Homare). They also had a very low specific fuel consumption. The issue was rather that the early airframes were developed for smallest frontal area and couldn't therefore be upgraded with more powerful engines. The in-line route was not too successful either. Quality problems towards war-end did the rest. Technology-wise their motors were among the best in the world, I daresay. Goodwin/Starkings 'Japanese Aero-Engines' is a superb book that I can recommend to every Japanese warplane enthusiast.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1