Mikr Mir's 1/144 Blackburn Beverley C1 - 30 Squadron RAF M.Hurraq 1965/66

My next build will be a bit of a nostalgia rip, especially for my dad who served in the RAF from 1961 to 1985, with his fondest memories flying as a SAC in the belly of this beast, the Blackburn Beverley C1 under 30 Squadron of Transport Command.

The man himself, aged just 20 at the time, and a fine example of the fighting fit airmen of the Royal Air Force.....shame the memo was lost in the post on this particular day at RAF Sharjah, just before the Beverley crew was kicked off the airstrip by the base commander for being a "group of scruffy looking airmen." or so the story goes.

48229055042_7374268989_z.jpg_20190707_173651

There are other pictures of the billets and R&R around M.Hurraq and Sharjah and even a few of what the now Bahrain F1 circuit used to look like in 1965 before oil was found and turned into the metropolis it is today,

Anyways, to the kit itself..

Not a bad kit, though I wish they could have made it a larger scale..even at 1/144 it is still fairly sizable

48257902952_f09b0720d7_z.jpgIMG-20190711-WA0013

Everything comes in one sealed packet

48257902582_bd65e7e666_z.jpgIMG-20190711-WA0022

8 sprus in total including 1 for clear parts.

48257902702_e90b33843f_z.jpgIMG-20190711-WA0017

Detailing is pretty good, especially for the internal load bay, but there is A LOT of flashing from the mould. this is probably the worst of the lot, but most parts will need significant cleaning prior to building. The PS is heavy weight and feels pretty solid too.

48257902812_f7a90aeabe_z.jpgIMG-20190711-WA0014

The windows for both sides of the tail boom are not present and only represented but recessed lines - these will need to be drilled out and Micro Kristal Klear used to formulate windows toward the end of the build.

48257830116_9ec1b017c9_z.jpgIMG-20190711-WA0015

It's the same for the load bay windows too.

48257830166_5f238c9f88_z.jpgIMG-20190711-WA0016

Some photo etch parts for additional detailing for the freight bay doors and aerial sections, also masks for the cockpit windows too.

48257829996_13133ae812_z.jpgIMG-20190711-WA0018

The decal sheet is pretty decent with several options for Beverley squadrons

48257902747_020aaed15e_z.jpgIMG-20190711-WA0019

I will be opting for the Silver and White paint scheme of 30 Squadron or "Dirty 30" as they were known, and aircraft XM105 as it is highly likely that this is one of the aircraft my dad actually flew in.

The problem is, I cannot find and decals or marking to fit the scale.

XM105 had a Red diamond squadron marking on the tail boom, and also a large red A on either side of the fuselage.

If anyone has any clues as to where I can potentially get these from, or who can be kind enough to provide the registration and markings for this aircraft, I would eternally grateful.

These aircraft hold a very special place with my dad's term of service, and I would like to do him proud with an as accurate build as I can.

First one the build will be to drill out the windows.

As always, thoughts and pointers welcomed.  

• Like 9

I don't know if these will help, the generic markings should be okay though. 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X44009

I did this kit last year, and it needed a lot of weight up front (just as well I did not glue the lower transparency on too well!). It was fabulous to build.

Cheers,

Ray

• Thanks 1

Cheers @Ray S I have looked at these previously and I am tempted, though nothing for 30 squadron on there 😕

I have found these on Hannants, but I need to know what size the registration markings are on both the wings and the tail

36" = https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/DMK14474

48" = https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/DMK14475

Or perhaps both?

I could use the "A" on the 48" and paint over it in red? They same for the red diamond squadron markings, then a white 30 decal in the middle I guess?

Edited by Mikey-1980

Just a little bumps, but could any one advise on the size of the aircraft markings for a Beverley please?

Specifically the registration number under wing, tail and the Aircraft lettering - mainly the "A" on the fuselage.

This would be a huge help.

So construction and some work has begun on the Beverley,

First job was to drill out the cargo bay and tail boom windows with a pin drill.

48339088356_2ba3a0c636_z.jpgDSC_2307

These will be filled in with Krystal Klear when the kit is completed as a last stage.

As part of my research into Beverley's that served in the Middle East, the very kind people at the RAF Museum London were kind enough to provide me with the movements of XM105 & XH119 to see if they were in the Middle East in 1965/66....and they both were.

So I have settled on the markings for XH119 as these are the standard decals in the box, though they are missing the registration marking for 119 for the tail, just below the RAF & 30 squadron diamond. Finding the right scale of decal for this registration number will be a task for later.

48339087441_030dc62cb8_z.jpgDSC_2308

June 6th 1966 - XM119 was assigned to 30 Squadron

48339087891_54e5f36b66_z.jpgDSC_2309

Work has also started on the cockpit...One reservation for this kit is that the PS polymer is more like an ABS. Perhaps a PS/ABS blend? It is quite hard and tricky to glue together with liquid poly glue...but with some patience it works.

48339223517_f01ae086c7_z.jpgDSC_2310

It is a very basic flight deck, and not much detail for the 1/144 scale, but I've doen the best I can with it.

48339223037_e2db33ea78_z.jpgDSC_2312

48339223137_18bf4c734f_z.jpgDSC_2313

I am struggling to find the best colour scheme for the cargo hold though...

Some pictures show it painted in Olive drab, others with a split paint scheme with black / dark blue grey on the lower half, with white above it.

From picking my dad's memory of events over 50 years ago, he recalls them being painted in an anti-corrosion silver/zinc primer for 30 Squadron.

More research to be done, as this is the next step in the build.

• Like 3

When my dad was in the RAF in the late 1950's he flew into Jordan in one of these loaded with barrels and jerry cans of fuel in every available space due to some emergency! They even had to sit on the Jerry cans in the tail boom seating area! The pilot came through to see them and told them " ok chaps we should be able to get off, but heavens sake don't smoke or we will turn into the world's biggest flying Molotov cocktail!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, roginoz said:

Just a tad curious why you're running two threads on this interesting build.......??

Rog

haha, I accidentally posted the same thread in the other post looking for information....I guess my brain hadn't quite woken up when I posted it. Sorry about that.

3 hours ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

When my dad was in the RAF in the late 1950's he flew into Jordan in one of these loaded with barrels and jerry cans of fuel in every available space due to some emergency! They even had to sit on the Jerry cans in the tail boom seating area! The pilot came through to see them and told them " ok chaps we should be able to get off, but heavens sake don't smoke or we will turn into the world's biggest flying Molotov cocktail!"

That I can completely believe, some of the stories I've heard from flying in and out of various bases around the middle east at the time. A health and safety inspectors nightmare.

• Like 2

As the weather was decidedly grim this weekend, today in particular....I decided to crack on a bit with the Beverly.....and its starting to fight me a little bit.

I started with the rear cargo doors with the photo etch supplied with the kit. These appear to depict the rear access doors n the cargo doors. though I am yet undecided if I will keep them attached, in the open or closed position.

If a Beverley was in a cargo drop mission, then the doors would not be attached. Will decide later I think?

48396950247_119f8f4f15_z.jpgDSC_2315

Cargo bay floor was painted up and weathered with Tamiya pastels and dry brushing to simulate the wear and tear with a lot of sand being deposited.

48396805756_6fa8cf430e_z.jpgDSC_2317

I have decided on a 2 tone approach to the cargo bay with aluminum and black half's, weathered in the same way as the cargo bay floor. Not sure if it's too much or not? but wanting to show the hard work that "Dirty" 30 Squadron did during this period.

48396802971_8f1cc77757_z.jpgDSC_2319

This will be a bit of a tail sitter so I am hoping the 20g ish I've placed in the nose section will help?

48396941857_06ca0da30a_z.jpgDSC_2320

I thought that seeing as the lead ballast may be seen through the forward observation window, I though if I painted in an olive drab it could be disguised as stacked cargo...Thoughts?

48396798551_33d63eb97e_z.jpgDSC_2321

This kit has no location pins for the fuselage and lots of flash. In some areas it is difficult to see what is supposed to be the fuselage, and what isn't? There is also this little fitment issue, but I think it can be solvable...

48396939572_782f0ec7ed_z.jpgDSC_2323

Took a little while, and plenty of patience, I managed to button up the fuselage, but there are lots of seem line issues and plenty of sanding ahead....

48396937837_324bdcaa5e_z.jpgDSC_2324

There is also this little issue with the mould...solvable I think....?

48396934987_43ea7620e8_z.jpgDSC_2325

The seem line underneath isn't much better......

48396936272_caf37e2159_z.jpgDSC_2326

thoughts and ideas are always welcomed :)

• Like 9

Managed some more last night, but only for a short while.....

Started to sand down the seems lines as much as I could and try to sand out the moulding blemish. So far so good, but it may take some additional effort. some of the panel lines are now being obscured. 

I thought I would also secure and fit the lower tail panel to strengthen it up a bit, but again....fitment issues..

48416956976_d5b6862f6d_z.jpg

And a close up.

48416954571_1b6cb645eb_z.jpg

Some careful sanding has just about sorted it, but there are a few gaps that will need filling too. The rear cargo doors also have the same issues with a dry fit.

Moving onto the 4 Bristol Centaurus engines for the Beverley, I noticed a slight issue........Mikro Mir had pack 2 port side engine sprue's.....hmmmmm problem...

48417110762_b768afff45_z.jpg

Quick visit to the Mikro Mir website....no contact email or page.....but I did notice a Facebook link.....Dropped them a message with the photos and HUZZAAR!! a response waiting for me at 0615 this morning.......simply saying "I need you address"

It would appear that those rather nice Ukrainian chaps will be sending me the Starboard side engine sprue.....The build can continue.

• Like 7

Small update....

The moulded Bristol Centaurus engines are a horrendous fit.....more gaps that Janet Street-Ports front teeth.....lots of filing and filler will be needed to ensure a reasonable fit. 

They are also fiddly as well. No pics as yet, but I will post as soon as possible.

Also, the Starboard engine sprue should now be on its way from the Ukraine. :)

I have also been looking on FleeBay for any marking decals to place on the tail fins.

I have found these, but I am a little unsure if they would be correct or not?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Mark-1-Decals-14401-1-144-RAF-modern-8-inch-serial-numbers-and-letters/123726203146?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l9372

There is no mention of aircraft registration markings in the instructions, but 30 squadron did have the aircraft number on the tails.

Any advice on these decals would be of great help

Great work so far. I have this kit but not yet built. I don’t know how accurate the decals you linked are but I do know they work very nicely and have used them on other builds. 

Also I don’t think this helps with your 30 Sqn schemes but a company called shelf oddity does an update to the kit decals https://shelfoddity.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_65&product_id=171

They also do an exceptionally nice photo etch sheet with the rear cargo ramps etc. 

Mikromir kits are hard work but they are well worth the pain and sweat at the end! Keep at it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @ajmm That link is superb!

Thank you!

I am tempted with the photo etc parts and the decals, mainly for the RAF MIDDLE EAST decal the they say is on the tail boom, but images I've seen is actually on the nose section, certainly for XM105. 

I may have to purchase all sets :)

• Like 1

Small update.....1/144 scale decals showed up for the tail registration markings.

and they are pretty small.

Should do the job nicely though

48519407001_6b85f9d88e_z.jpg

Not much else to report other than the Port wing is starting assembly with a lot of sanding needed to fit the Centaurus engines. The starboard engine sprue should now be on its way from Mikro Mir.

• Mikey-1980 changed the title to Mikr Mir's 1/144 Blackburn Beverley C1 - 30 Squadron RAF M.Hurraq 1965/66
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately this project has been placed on hold for the moment pending the arrival of the starboard engine nacelles.

It will be completed, just not right now...

Looking to the stash for something different to do, so possible the original Matt Jefferies designed Enterpirise....

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi @Kushan_Farsight

The Beverley resides in the stack to be resurrected soon.

I have the engines now but I became a little disillusioned with the build, but I think I will pick it back up again once I finish the Camel build.

Some of the fitments are pretty poor and needs  A LOT of work.

• Like 1

There was/is a vac form kit in 1/72 scale which is HUGE! @Lord Riot

Even in 1/144 scale the kit is an impressive size.

My dad is the same @John_W spent many a flying hour in the front of the cargo hold watching the world go by as he flew in and around the Middle East. A few trips to Hong Kong in one too as well. It could well be that our respective dad's knew each other on the base?

My younger brother David was with 30 Sqn (Beverlys) at Muharraq around the mid sixties.

The only story I can remember from Dave, was one very hot afternoon when a few of the guys were doing Egyptian PT (snoozing on their beds), when the billet door opened and there stood a bright white newcomer, dressed in issue knee length shorts.  "Who are you then" demanded one of the dozy inmates, "er'ma clerk" replied the apparation with a strong Brummy accent.  "Ok then Irma, you can have the bed near the door" was the retort. The poor chap was known as "Irma Clark" for the rest of his tour.

Typical of the RAF in those days.

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 3