Mirage IIIO A3-31 at Butterworth - Malaysia - 1/48 - finished, ready for mission

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Getting resin replacement cockpits to fit existing kit parts can often be "fun", it gets me that the parts are supposedly designed to fit with the kit parts and then they don't fit at all. Looks like you have got it sorted though Werner, good job.

yeah... the resin cockpit is one thing, the flimsy kit design in some areas another.... parting a semi circular air intake in axial direction e.g.... and still have the rather nice but wrong for this model muzzle brakes molded on.... ....

whatever, 

wings are on, starboard side (the one I did not take a photo of) needs some filler, but managable 

EyKIh46.jpg

k7UpYQw.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Definitely getting more Mirage shaped Werner, and the kit has very nice surface detailing.

the kit is not bad at all, just challenging in places, where you do not expect it to me.... 

good so, as I have 3 more of those Kinetic Mirages in the stash... another E, a D and an S... with a Wingman 5 in the mail.... :) 

• Like 1

Looks good Werner, just remember when you go to attach the flight controls, that the inner most surfaces (the pitch dampers) do not droop like the elevons with power off the aircraft. If either drooped more than 3-4cms at the tip then i was unserviceable. There was a small amount of droop some times.

Here is an example (image form Aussie Modeller website)

Robbos-Mirage-025-01.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2019 at 10:47 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Looks good Werner, just remember when you go to attach the flight controls, that the inner most surfaces (the pitch dampers) do not droop like the elevons with power off the aircraft. If either drooped more than 3-4cms at the tip then i was unserviceable. There was a small amount of droop some times.

Here is an example (image form Aussie Modeller website)

Robbos-Mirage-025-01.jpg

thanks for the info and pic!

! so everything up it is on the flying surfaces and canopy ;)

no need  for the reskit nozzle then.. some masking tape would have done :devil: 

whatever:

y59WSbJ.jpg

1puKYDw.jpg

S4qZE9p.jpg

LQF7aQJ.jpg

some more things to do before painting, but yes....getting there!

• Like 4

On 10/12/2019 at 7:56 PM, mirageiv said:

Great work Werner, I really like the heat staining on the exhaust in particular!

David 

edit....how did the Reskit exhaust fit? I am thinking of getting one. 

thanks!

the Reskit exhausts fits very well, I removed the inner kit mounting though. nothing serious. now I can put it in after closing the fuselage at will 

ready for paint?

S7937Ya.jpg

ohPZjJ4.jpg

LkEiv3F.jpg

the multi purpose tanks are ready to paint as well...

RPK-10s from the kit

LTo91Kf.jpg

I plan to put something that makes hole in the ground at least on the outboard stations..

wasn't there something that the locations are symmetrical on the real ones compared to Kinetics version?... have to find that info.....

maybe I will be doing A3-31... from 3 SQU in Butterworth:

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Mirage-III-A3-31

those planes changed color and markings twice a year it seems back then in the early 80ies! :wall:

3SQN_MIRAGE111_0007.jpg

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Mirage-III-A3-31/3SQN_MIRAGE111_0007?full=1

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

She really is coming along now Werner, great pre-shading.

Which scheme will you be going with, the grey one above or the earlier grey/green scheme? Either are great choices.

I know that you all prefer a camo one... and it would certainly fit the GB theme!

BUT I want to do the relatively low viz one, air defence scheme with Magic missiles, so mid 80ies.... 3 Sqd in 84/85 at Butterworth. And as the topic calls for front line Asia, I'd like to do a hypotetical war load with the RPK-10s and some bombs.... Mk 82 slick or snakeeye....

• Like 1

Coming along nicely. When it comes to RAAF Butterworth Mirages, there was a huge variety in camouflage patterns. I did visit Butterworth several time in the mid 80s and following pictures make your choice a bit more challenging :winkgrin:

spacer.png

A3-81 in standard camo

spacer.png

A3-97 in standard camo

spacer.png

A3-7 in clean light grey

spacer.png

A3-45 in weathered light grey

spacer.png

A3-17 in dark grey

And now the interesting stuff.

spacer.png

A3-25

spacer.png

A3-54

spacer.png

A3-60

spacer.png

A3-99

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Basilisk said:

spacer.png

A3-54

spacer.png

A3-99

Cheers, Peter

Huge fan of both of these schemes and will do one of them at some point. In the lower photo did something crash or is that a something starting up ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

wow!m thanks for those photos @Basilisk!

for the time being it has to be a standard- grey and weatherd scheme.. :) 

this model actually is my FIRST standard / non modified Mirage III kit I do..... go figure!  until now I've build a Swiss RS with canards, a Brazilian F-103 with Canards and 2 Kfirs... (a C10 and  C2).....

specials next time!

but so many great Aussi schmes, and decals (Caracal :)   Ronin did not have anything left for me when I discovered them! :( )

CT608ff.jpg 

9XpZSXV.jpg

Ul33YoB.jpg

rw43ET3.jpg

I discoverd some gaps close to the front windscreen... and I have to do a better demarcation line!

• Like 3

On 10/17/2019 at 5:37 AM, modelling minion said:

Wow Peter you weren't kidding! There are some great pics here of schemes that i wasn't aware of before, my favourites being A3-54 and A3-60, I wonder if they have ever been covered by decal manufacturers? Thanks for sharing these.

Some are available in the 1/72 High planes boxings of the Mirage IIIO

Caracal decals does a couple of RAAF Mirage sheets in 1/48 that cover some of these schemes, Part 1 and Part 2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

some late filler work, up it pays off!

XwSiHLH.jpg

7 hours ago, Calum said:

The Kinetic decals have better colours for the Aussie Roundels than what Caracal depict

thanks, did not think about that yet! but Kinetic decals are designed by Sylvain from Syhart Decals and printet by Cartograf, so highest quality in detail and print can be expected!

wonder why the Caracal ones are different then.... will sure have a more detailed look at the roundels!

• Like 1

so, and after re-painting:

is it too blue in tone?

several lighting conditions:

y8LyKLf.jpg

1PFgE4O.jpg

LXjy5cG.jpg

fA6URYh.jpg

8Frjxd2.jpg

wzpJ7Zt.jpg

the  fin leading edge was painted separately, some Austrialian examples have a strong contrast there.....

• Like 4