Mirage IIIO A3-31 at Butterworth - Malaysia - 1/48 - finished, ready for mission

as if I would not have to do enough elsewhere...

but where else should I build one of these?

not sure yet on the Squadron, but a grey one I'd like! 

maybe 3/75 Sdqu at Butterworth to even better fit to the Asian frontline topic? and I'd probably load t for some attack mission using the Kinetic RPK-10 with 2 Snakeeyes each?  a 1300l tank on the center (from an AMk Kfir should do well I guess!) and Eduard Magic Missiles on canted 

Mirage IIIO 

3 /75 Squadron, RAAF Butterworth, Malaysia

that is what I have found in my stock that could be useful ;)

ecbSl4L.jpg?

what puzzles me a bit is the ejection seat... acording to the above brilliant book , an MK6 should be fitted from 1981 instead of an Mk4....

dwu3rNo.jpg

left Mk4 from SBS, mid Mk4 from Pavla, right Mk4 from HPM

0G14q68.jpg

they are not all that similar and specific I think....  who can help me out? as I understand it, the MK6 introduced a zero zero capability adding a rocket motor.... and double hand rails in addition to some additional part on the rear rail....

interesting accident story by the way:

http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/Last_Sacrifice.htm

RAAF serials:

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/3a3.htm

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 7

Oh yes Werner!

A great choice of subject and one that I'm sure will prove very popular indeed. The book is supposed to be the best there is on the subject so that should answer most of the questions you have on the subject.

Can't help you with the seat I'm afraid but I'm sure there are some decent pics online of the mk.6.

Very interesting story, and very sad too, one of those where everything that could go wrong did.

• Like 1

some work finally started :)

have to get a bit accustomed to that sprue/ parts  layout ... some strange and wobbly things... but I will get along :)

brand new RESKIT resin nozzle set arrived yesterday as well! quick delivery from hobbyeasy :thumbsup:

LIyDbBf.jpg

that is what looks like to be part of my build finally

the SBS cockpit looks much more detailed...

Bhx9lN0.jpg

adoW4Gb.jpg

not all can be seen nicely in these photos though...

WNxYeoA.jpg

nice base! for painting and picking out some details!

to be continued :)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 6

On 7/12/2019 at 1:37 AM, exdraken said:

as if I would not have to do enough elsewhere...

but where else should I build one of these?

not sure yet on the Squadron, but a grey one I'd like! 

maybe 3/75 Sdqu at Butterworth to even better fit to the Asian frontline topic? and I'd probably load t for some attack mission using the Kinetic RPK-10 with 2 Snakeeyes each?  a 1300l tank on the center (from an AMk Kfir should do well I guess!) and Eduard Magic Missiles on canted 

Mirage IIIO 

3 /75 Squadron, RAAF Butterworth, Malaysia

that is what I have found in my stock that could be useful ;)

?

what puzzles me a bit is the ejection seat... acording to the above brilliant book , an MK6 should be fitted from 1981 instead of an Mk4....

left Mk4 from SBS, mid Mk4 from Pavla, right Mk4 from HPM

0G14q68.jpg

they are not all that similar and specific I think....  who can help me out? as I understand it, the MK6 introduced a zero zero capability adding a rocket motor.... and double hand rails in addition to some additional part on the rear rail....

interesting accident story by the way:

http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/Last_Sacrifice.htm

Werner, the seat on the left looks more like a MK6, and yes it was upgraded with a rocket pack and the twin loop face blind firing handles. The head of the seat was also updated as I recall.

High Planes in Singapore does on OM6 seat in 1/48

56291_0.jpg

It was not quite a zero, zero seat. On my preflight brief when I went for a ride, the pilot told me that if we had engine problems on take off the seat would not operate well enough to get you safely back to the ground after ejection. Basically at lower speed and altitude (under 100 feet) you would still be in the seat when it hit the ground. Not a nice place to be! Fortunately that did not happen on my flight(s)!

So which SQN will you go with? 3SQN or 75SQN?

I worked on these for 4 years with 2OCU and 77SQN in the 80s (Instruments), so if there are any questions you have please ask and I will see if I can dust the cobwebs out of the old brain cells.

• Like 4

On 7/19/2019 at 12:20 AM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Werner, the seat on the left looks more like a MK6, and yes it was upgraded with a rocket pack and the twin loop face blind firing handles. The head of the seat was also updated as I recall.

High Planes in Singapore does on OM6 seat in 1/48

It was not quite a zero, zero seat. On my preflight brief when I went for a ride, the pilot told me that if we had engine problems on take off the seat would not operate well enough to get you safely back to the ground after ejection. Basically at lower speed and altitude (under 100 feet) you would still be in the seat when it hit the ground. Not a nice place to be! Fortunately that did not happen on my flight(s)!

So which SQN will you go with? 3SQN or 75SQN?

I worked on these for 4 years with 2OCU and 77SQN in the 80s (Instruments), so if there are any questions you have please ask and I will see if I call dust the cobwebs outof the old brain cells.

the seat on the right is from High Planes Models , thanks!

the left one is from SBS and suposed to be an Mk4....

some work in the nozzles shop today, that means resin cutting and base painting with Alcad burnt iron:

r0Duldc.jpg

the Atar9C nozzle from RESKIT is in between  Phantom and F-1 parts :D 

W0uAoMZ.jpg

her they are:

v4JtdtO.jpg

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

Proper little engine build shop you have there Werner!

yeah ;)

more a turbine, afterburner and nozzle shop... quite some parts missing for a complete engine! (but I just got a Kh Su-17... with a complete (externally at least) engine ;) )

upload did not work for me yesterday evening, so some more paint work and tedious nozzle actuator mounting :

MvBZkTL.jpg

the afterburner flame holder is missing in those photos.... fortunately not in the final assembly ;)

C6JWH5E.jpg

Nm158Hw.jpg

worth it imho!

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

a bit on the backburner unfortunately....

but I started building the Magic 1 missiles! less is definitely nothing a all ;)

lpBuCzZ.jpg

Eduard Brassin line, the one without notches in the rear fins are the -1s :) (#2, 4 from above)

• Like 2

nice choice Werner. :thumbsup:

On 7/19/2019 at 8:20 AM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I worked on these for 4 years with 2OCU and 77SQN in the 80s (Instruments), so if there are any questions you have please ask and I will see if I call dust the cobwebs outof the old brain cells.

I didn't know you were a "clock-winder" as well from the 80's..........that explains a lot!! :tease:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

reporting back to work :)

Magic missiles are also assembled largely (Eduard send replacement fins that were packed wrongly a week ago :) )

C4WhL6g.jpg

cockpit needs to be finished asap and installed

the SBS cockpit is very nice and probably exact. but gosh it is small detail and hard to see anything! black doesn't help either....

Yhe1ONq.jpg

drybrushing it will help hopefully!

• Like 3

On 9/24/2019 at 8:11 PM, modelling minion said:

Very nice work on the instrument panel Werner, as you say I'm sure a drybrushing will help bring out the details.

The missiles look really good, and the replacement fins look great.

thanks,,can be improved--- definitley

my tonights take on doing so...

koM0tBD.jpg

BFxMuqJ.jpg

o8Hb9pD.jpg

now o have to install it somehow... that Kinetic kit on its own and less so with the SBS pit do not fall together! 

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

that cockpit does not enter on its own.. but it will enter finally!

problem is also the front landing gear bay, that does not fit to the resin cockpit design...

XnUiS5m.jpg

XoJGJIl.jpg

• Like 2