1:72/1:76 conversions

Tony C

I recently obtained Airfix's 1:76 Cromwell and have so far enjoyed the build...

spacer.png

There are still things that I need to change but I would now like to look at building and modifying other kits from Airfix, Matchbox/Revell range of 1:76 or 1:72 kits and would like to ask the Britmodeller Assembly, if there are any other publications, apart from the Airfix Modelling RAF Vehicles by Gerald Scarborough, which I already have, which include plans, sketches and conversion ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

• Like 2

There is: 

Build and Convert Airfix Military Models    by Tom Cole 

Publisher: SAM Publications (2010) - 128 pages - ISBN-13: 978-1906959203

It appears on Amazon with some detailed reviews on there.  Copies were on sale at the Cosford Model Show this April for £5.00 on one trader's stand - I have seen it at other shows for about the same sometimes in 'boxes under the table'.

A good introduction to the Airfix kits re their accuracy and potential is at:  http://www.matadormodels.co.uk/tank_museum/4_Airfix_hints_1.htm

• Like 1

Tony,

Seeing as you have got the Gerald Scarborough book, you might look into old copies of the Airfix Magazine Annual, which used to contain the pick of the articles from the monthly mag, with the Crusader-Covenanter conversion being one of the best examples.

Also, if you are looking at 1/76 scale, don't discount the Fujimi range. The airfix mag did a series of conversion articles for the Fujimi Panzer 38(t) kit to create various Marder III and flakpanzer types. 

The Fujimi Matilda is (arguably) more detailed than the Airfix example, tho' both are good.

• Like 1

In addition to Gerald's Modelling RAF Vehicles book (no 27 in the series, IIRC), he also did in the same series Modelling Military Vehicles (no 3, light green cover, IIRC) and Modelling Tanks and AFVs (no 7 or 8, olive drab type colour).  Military Vehicles was mostly (entirely?) about softskin vehicle conversions from the RAF Emergency and Recovery Sets.  Tanks and AFVs had a number of quite ambitious conversions and even scratchbuilds using just a few Airfix bits.  The Australian Sentinel was one I recall and I think the Covenanter was in there as well.  These books are a bit out of fashion nowadays which mean that they can often be picked up quite cheaply "under the table" at shows.  Maybe not to modern standards of accuracy and detail but well worth snapping up if the price is right: I though they were excellent value at cover price back in the 1970s. 

• Like 1

Following on from the mention of the Airfix Magazine above have a look at:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=airfix+magazine&and%5B%5D=subject%3A%22airfix+magazine%22&sort=titleSorter&page=2

which should lead you to copies of the Airfix Magazine available on line.

• Like 1

Hi

Can I recommend these 

This is a book of plans for 1/72 allied armour - mostly fairly common subjects but very useful for adding details.

20190718_184923 20190718_184929

I also recommend this as it deals exclusively in 1/72 British with some conversion projects, superdetailing and general help and advice

20190718_184906 20190718_184914

All the best

Ben