Luftwaffe Fiat G-91

Having a soft spot for jets of the Cold War I decided to build a (slightly) more modern fighter to accompany my recently built Hawker Sea Hawk. This particular Fiat G-91 is manufactured by Meng to 1/72 scale and whilst it isn’t the worlds best quality kit, it nevertheless builds into a fair representation of the Luftwaffe’s version of this ground attack jet and is nicely decorated with Cartograph decals.The only additions to the basic kit are a resin ejector seat, pilot and a photo etch access ladder. All paints are Tamiya acrylics and the lacquers are Humbol gloss and Humbrol Satin. Shoddy phots by ancient smart(?) phone. 

Comments, harsh, Micky taking or otherwise well received.  :yes:

Fiat G-91

Fiat G-91

Fiat G-91

• Like 37

Very attractive G-91 – an important NATO workhorse in the sixties, although not one of the more glamorous types.

The ladder and the pilot figure set it off nicely!

Kind regards,

Joachim

PS Your model would be seen and admired better with less of that grey 'dead space' in the photos… 😉 

• Thanks 1

Gotta love a Gina! I still have a couple of the RoG kits in the stash, that one was a bit underwhelming compared to other RoG kis of a similar vintage (Hunter, Tornado, F-16).

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

I'm puzzled- I have the Revell/Germany and the Meng kits and have read that both have issues, but that the Meng kit is the better of the two. Does anyone know what corrections are needed to make the Meng kit an accurate model? It's such a pretty little weenie cooker- reminds me of an F-86D that got hit by a shrink ray- hmmmm, wonder if @Martian Hale knows anything about this?

Mike 

• Haha 1

1. 2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I'm puzzled- I have the Revell/Germany and the Meng kits and have read that both have issues, but that the Meng kit is the better of the two. Does anyone know what corrections are needed to make the Meng kit an accurate model? It's such a pretty little weenie cooker- reminds me of an F-86D that got hit by a shrink ray- hmmmm, wonder if @Martian Hale knows anything about this?

Mike 

Why me? I'm an innocent an alien as they come. Anyway, if I had a shrink ray I would turn it on my beer belly so that proves I didn't do it.:innocent:

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

A Fiat G-91 is a seldom kit in modelers range, thats why its always highly welcome to see a ,,Gina,, Especially me have straight relationship to this aircraft, coz she was stationed in Oldenburg at JaboG 43, i loved her coz her design is semilar to a F-86, my favourite jetfighter of the 50th and 60th.

Your model looks great mate, well done

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Very smart.  I do have a soft spot for the G91, its a lovely looking plane.

Which Tamiya colours did you use for the camo?

Phil

Hi Phil, I used XF-83 Medium sea grey for the underside, XF-67 NATO Green and XF-53 Neutral grey for the upper surfaces, oh and XF-85 Rubber black for the anti glare panel. I used X-6 Orange dulled with a drop of rubber black for the bands on the fuel tanks. I doubt these colours are very authentic, but they looked very close the internet pictures of the real aircraft. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bill.B said:

Hi Phil, I used XF-83 Medium sea grey for the underside, XF-67 NATO Green and XF-53 Neutral grey for the upper surfaces, oh and XF-85 Rubber black for the anti glare panel. I used X-6 Orange dulled with a drop of rubber black for the bands on the fuel tanks. I doubt these colours are very authentic, but they looked very close the internet pictures of the real aircraft. 

Cheers Bill, much appreciated.  I'm now heading off to my local proper bricks and mortar model shop - awesome place in Widnes.

18 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

Cheers Bill, much appreciated.  I'm now heading off to my local proper bricks and mortar model shop - awesome place in Widnes.

One other thing Phil, Meng kindly made the Camo pattern in the instruction manual to the correct scale so it can be traced or cut out if required. :yes:

• Like 1

Just airbrushed Tamiya acrylics for the first time.  Added a good splash of their own thinner into the jar and mixed well before using.

I am very, very impressed.  No paint splatter, tip drying, clogging or anything.  I think I'm in love.... 🙂

My local model shop has the full range of Tamiya (jars and rattle cans), Humbrol, Vallejo Model Air and Colour so I am spoilt for choice.

Cheers for the heads up Bill.

Phil

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2019 at 7:38 PM, Martian Hale said:
  1. Why me? I'm an innocent an alien as they come. Anyway, if I had a shrink ray I would turn it on my beer belly so that proves I didn't do it.:innocent:

Martian 👽

Well, if you ever get one of those, don't aim it too low - you don't want to shrink what is sheltered under that belly. 😉

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ivand said:

Well, if you ever get one of those, don't aim it too low - you don't want to shrink what is sheltered under that belly. 😉

I wondered who would be the first to stoop to that level!

Unsurprised of Mars👽

• Thanks 1