Avis 1:72 Bristol Racer

Well, it's official - I now have the inter-war civil aircraft bug, and next up is this little guy - Avis' 1/72nd Bristol Racer.

'What the heck is a 'Bristol Racer' I hear you cry? Well, wikipedia says

The Bristol Type 72 Racer was a British racing monoplane designed by Wilfrid Thomas Reid and built by the Bristol Aeroplane Company at Filton, England.

- and who am I to doubt them.

More to the point, it looked like this:

yL346lR.jpg

Who couldn't love that? Well, apparently the pilots who had to fly it because according to wiki it was terrible and scrapped just a couple of years after it was built. Still, it looks good, doesn't it?

Anyway, thanks to Avis for making a kit of such an obscure piece of aviation history. Apparently they're only making 500 of these kits, but I've got one so let's hope I can actually finish it and make it look halfway decent when I do.

As is traditional, here's the box:

09dntTR.jpg

And here's the bits:

flggZf8.jpg

Moulding is definitely short-run, but I've seen worse.

tUbPorI.jpg

Next time: The amazing invisible cockpit!

• Like 5

I've one of these on my Christmas wish list, so I'll tag along.

2 hours ago, Unkempt said:

Moulding is definitely short-run, but I've seen worse.

It's half the fun. I've never seen a sprue shot of this a/c and looking at that cockpit hole, I'll not be worrying about the detail within it! I think as you build this, it would be a good idea to use something for scale as this looks tiny.

Stuart 

LOVE it!

Got one too, in spite of having built the ancient horrid vac kit of it long ago.

It's such an unmistakable shape!

AND red!

Yes, Avis has to be congratulated on these releases (I also got other of their civil releases, the De Havilland DH60, Short S.1 Cockle and the Short S.4 Satellite, and have built their Crusader and Mig Utka), refreshing!

As a racer, the Bristol reminds my of the dancing hippopotamus of Disney's "Fantasia" 😁.

Glued to the screen to learn from this build.

Cheers

• Like 2

Erm, no, it does NOT look good! (if it looks right, it flies right!). But full credit to Avis, and for their Bristol M1.C and M1.D releases, the only 1:72 D I know of, and the only C since Pegasus' rather poor effort.

Ian

I’m a big fan of the Bristol Company so I’ll follow along if I may. Tempted by the kit but I’ll see how you get on! :) 

OK, here we go.

On 7/11/2019 at 10:40 AM, Courageous said:

looking at that cockpit hole, I'll not be worrying about the detail within it!

Oh yes - hence the 'invisible cockpit' I mentioned above. More on that later.

Moa, mate, I've seen your builds - you're not going to learn anything from me.

22 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I've always thought the kit should have included a Gromit figure!

Mike

He's a little beaten up and sadly not to scale, but...

KfTrOlG.jpg

For a start, I think this is only kit I've seen where the fuselage is divided horizontally. I assume there's a moulding reason for this, but it works out fine for me. (Actually, way back there might have been an F14 that did that? Or something?)

So, starting on the cockpit. Fairly simple; there's a forward bulkhead thingy with what looks like a moulded in instrument panel, a floor, a stick and a seat.

dxJPabx.jpg

It all fits together neatly enough. The bulkhead goes in the lower half and there's a smaller blanking bit behind the cockpit hole in the top half.I'm assuming all this stuff bar the stick and the panel is wood, for which I use Tamiya deck tan with this stuff over the top:

YDsnq0B.jpg

It's actually an acrylic but it's got an oil-paint like consistency and it dries a lot faster. That gets us this:

K2wbDZ7.jpg

I've added a PE belt I had spare from something or other, but otherwise OOB. I painted the panel black.

The floor is attached by sliding it through that bulkhead and gluing in place. This needed a bit of fettling to get it through the holes. Useful to try fitting the top half when you're adding that as you want the seat to be directly below the hole; I actually move it forward a couple of mm, but that may just be me misaligning something. 

ai0c5QJ.jpg

Either way, as we said earlier you're not going to see a lot...

3lqT7Xb.jpg

Yes, it is in there, honest. With the flash:

vjhe0hD.jpg

Look! A seat!

I think if I was trying to smarten this up then I might look for a replacement seat; It's practically the only thing you can see once the fuselage is buttoned up.

Next up: sticking that together and some front-end engine type gubbins.

• Like 7

Nice wood effect - good job and thanks for the tip :) 

i've just done an Airfix Tornado where the fuselage is divided horizontally - I don't know why either but I guess you're right that the mold works better that way.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice wood effect - good job and thanks for the tip :) 

i've just done an Airfix Tornado where the fuselage is divided horizontally - I don't know why either but I guess you're right that the mold works better that way.

I think that might actually be the one I'm thinking of; it would've been the old MRCA kit with the swing wing stuff. And looking around I can see that a few modern jet kits do it too, I suppose I just don't build any these days.

Meanwhile, back on topic:

Fuselage together, seams dealt with and primed

M6CCG92.jpg

The real plane has a slight chequerboard surface detail on the fuselage - see this photo, for example. I'm going to attempt a bit of pre-shading to simulate that. No idea if it'll work but might as well give it a go.

0EBWDEn.jpg

The rudder slots in the back. Not a great fit and I've got some filling and  sanding to do there. Probably should have done that before the shading to be honest.

3Vy6CJA.jpg

And I've got one wing on and drying. It's a butt joint and I'll probably squirt some superglue in there to try and strengthen it up a bit.

PE4S1KB.jpg

And now, the engine.

On the sprue:

GpHXt6Z.jpg

Details are a bit soft and no doubt there's a resin replacement around somewhere, but once again you're not going to be able to see much of it when we're done so it'll do for me.

DwJ7Qde.jpg

The engine sits on that block, the cowling on the right goes over that and then the front end goes on top of that, so:

yYTXOZ2.jpg

It mostly fits, but there's a big ugly seam between the two cowling pieces and it's just a one piece thing in real life. Unfortunately getting rid of that will obliterate the exhaust detail on the top cowling bit so I'll have to redo that somehow. Anyway, getting started on that.

BppFM1K.jpg

Things should progress fairly rapidly now, especially since the postie brought me this 'get it done' incentive this morning:

49Q1SXN.jpg

More soon.

• Like 6

On 7/13/2019 at 2:42 PM, Moa said:

Darn! so that's why there were none left when I went to order it!

A quick look in the box is very promising, I'd definitely recommend it. Love to see what you can do with it. These guys have it in stock if you're still looking.

I'll have a proper update in an hour or two, I said I'd mow the lawn...

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Yes, Marklo, I've seen your build, looking forward to seeing that finished.

Proper update. The instructions for I think my last three updates look like this:

4rX1OEI.jpg

which had me thinking

XUT6C4i.jpg

Those rods in the middle aren't provided in the kit so I suppose I have to make them. Luckily I had some 0.8mm brass rod so I cut 11mm lengths of that. I filed the ends down and drilled a little ways into the front of the bulkhead to have somewhere to stick them They're now glued on there with superglue; it's a butt joint, so they all fell off at least once. I think they're on OK now though.

lLHA3ed.jpg

I only did six rather than the eight in the instructions as the only way you'll be able to see these is through the wheel wells and there's absolutely no way you can see the bottom pair. Plus it's easier...

I finished redoing the cowling.

dacQM4M.jpg

I got rid of the seam and drilled the exhausts out. In photos it looks like there's a very short pipe attached to each exhaust which presumably the detail I just sanded off represented but I don't have any pipe of a small enough diameter to represent it and I can't think of any other way of doing it so it'll just be holes on here.

And so:

PO6mj3a.jpg

Together at last. Let's have a look up through that wheel well:

OSH5Xy3.jpg

...worth the effort. I guess? Hmm. Anyway.

Nest up: The Reddening

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not illustrated in this update:

- me deciding that the engine cowling wasn't on straight

- breaking off the cowling that I'd superglued on

- much filing & fettling to get i to fit like I wanted

- breaking off all those brass rods I stuck on earlier

- actually managing to lose two of them

- deciding that four brass rods is a fine number for something only visible through the wheelwells

- finally getting it back on how I wanted, after an enormous amount of sanding and filling and sanding, obviously.

Illustrated in this update:

It's red!

3JqbBi9.jpg

Nzgn7YZ.jpg

RzIMYwV.jpg

I can see the end from here.

• Like 6

On 12/07/2019 at 22:18, Unkempt said:

OK, here we go.

Oh yes - hence the 'invisible cockpit' I mentioned above. More on that later.

Moa, mate, I've seen your builds - you're not going to learn anything from me.

He's a little beaten up and sadly not to scale, but...

KfTrOlG.jpg

For a start, I think this is only kit I've seen where the fuselage is divided horizontally. I assume there's a moulding reason for this, but it works out fine for me. (Actually, way back there might have been an F14 that did that? Or something?)

So, starting on the cockpit. Fairly simple; there's a forward bulkhead thingy with what looks like a moulded in instrument panel, a floor, a stick and a seat.

dxJPabx.jpg

It all fits together neatly enough. The bulkhead goes in the lower half and there's a smaller blanking bit behind the cockpit hole in the top half.I'm assuming all this stuff bar the stick and the panel is wood, for which I use Tamiya deck tan with this stuff over the top:

YDsnq0B.jpg

It's actually an acrylic but it's got an oil-paint like consistency and it dries a lot faster. That gets us this:

K2wbDZ7.jpg

I've added a PE belt I had spare from something or other, but otherwise OOB. I painted the panel black.

The floor is attached by sliding it through that bulkhead and gluing in place. This needed a bit of fettling to get it through the holes. Useful to try fitting the top half when you're adding that as you want the seat to be directly below the hole; I actually move it forward a couple of mm, but that may just be me misaligning something. 

ai0c5QJ.jpg

Either way, as we said earlier you're not going to see a lot...

3lqT7Xb.jpg

Yes, it is in there, honest. With the flash:

vjhe0hD.jpg

Look! A seat!

I think if I was trying to smarten this up then I might look for a replacement seat; It's practically the only thing you can see once the fuselage is buttoned up.

Next up: sticking that together and some front-end engine type gubbins.

The Airfix vulcan divides like that. Most vulcan kits do.

... and the  transfers are on. Just the three per side.

Uls9ZJA.jpg

KG79OuC.jpg

They went on very easily, which is a good thing as I was four Naragansetts into a six-pack when I decided to do them last night. However, if I had screwed them up, Avis thoughtfully provided duplicates of everything - three codes and four of the others. Nice of them.

Still to go is this lot:

le6oTk7.jpg

Prop, spinner, wheels. Also a tiny bit of rigging and the windshield. And that'll be it. Maybe next update? We'll see.

• Like 2