1/48 Airfix Messerschmitt BF 109E-4/N Trop

• Airfix
  • Scale: 1/48
  • Type: Messerschmitt BF 109E-4/N Trop
  • Extras used: None
  • Paints and colours used: Tamiya paints (please see build thread), Flory Dark Dirt, Flory Sand Pigment, Alcald II Aqua Gloss, Tamiya Matt
  •  

Ok this is the last one for today! Again, another I finished a little while ago but have only just got around to photographing. This was actually for last years Mediterranean theatre group build, which was great fun, and I did actually finish her just in time but failed to get her photographed... The lovely Airfix BF 109E-4/N Trop. In terms of detail it isn't a patch on the Eduard 109s, but still nicely detailed with reasonably restrained panel lines, reasonably well detailed cockpit, lovely decals and a simple, well fitting construction. The Eduard 109s are better, but at a reasonable price, this is a quick and fun, generally hassle free build.

DSCF7194-XL.jpg

DSCF7195-XL.jpg

DSCF7196-XL.jpg

DSCF7197-XL.jpg

DSCF7198-XL.jpg

DSCF7199-XL.jpg

DSCF7200-XL.jpg

DSCF7201-XL.jpg

DSCF7202-XL.jpg

DSCF7203-XL.jpg

DSCF7204-XL.jpg

DSCF7205-XL.jpg

DSCF7206-XL.jpg

DSCF7207-XL.jpg

DSCF7208-XL.jpg

I chose to use Tamiya paints throughout even though they probably aren't quite as accurate colour wise as the Vallejos I have, as I am more confident to get the fine control needed for some areas of the camo patterns.

A great fun build, and a recommended little kit.

Many thanks,

Val

• Like 24

Looks great, well done! 

Interesting what you say about getting finer lines with tamiya than model air, I've just started down the airbrush road and find the same. 

Cracking build thanks for sharing 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

This kit is part of my bf 109 triple build. Looking forward to painting that camouflage. Yours came out very nicely.

Thanks Adam, it’s a great fun scheme, and the specific reason I bought this kit.

4 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Looks like an excellent build, but I don't think we are seeing it at it's best with the blue cast of the photos.  

Cheers Greg. Yes, you’re probably right in hindsight. Photography is far from my strong point!

4 hours ago, Antb said:

Looks great, well done! 

Interesting what you say about getting finer lines with tamiya than model air, I've just started down the airbrush road and find the same. 

Cracking build thanks for sharing 

Thanks mate! Yeah, I think with Model Air it dries a bit quick and spits a lot when that happens. Guess I’m just a bit more confident with Tamiya!

If you have access to Photoshop you can use the auto tone this will most likely get it much closer to what you see. There is a  command in edit which allows you to reduce the auto tune effect if it is too strong. My camera doesn't take the best photos tone wise unless I'm outside  which is a bit difficult with all the cats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Greg Law said:

If you have access to Photoshop you can use the auto tone this will most likely get it much closer to what you see. There is a  command in edit which allows you to reduce the auto tune effect if it is too strong. My camera doesn't take the best photos tone wise unless I'm outside  which is a bit difficult with all the cats.

Cool, I’ll try that, thanks!

9 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

There is something beautifully sinister about this finish. It looks like a shark. I wish I could paint like you!! 

Thanks mate, really kind of you to say so! Honestly, I'm no expert on airbrushing. I just made the paint quite thin and, went over it a few times when I made mistakes!