1/48 Airfix Curtiss P-40B

• Airfix
  • Scale: 1/48
  • Type: Curtiss P-40B
  • Extras used: Eduard exhausts and wheels, and Montex masks
  • Paints and colours used: Vallejo model air Curtiss Brown, Green and Grey (AV71125, AV71294 and AV71296), Vallejo metal colours on exhaust, Vallejo Interior Green, various Tamiya where applicable, Flory Dark Dart, Flory Mug pigments, Aqua Gloss and Tamiya Matt Clear.

Hi everyone, sorry it's been so long since I've last posted. I'm hoping to be back here a bit more regularly.

Well, what can I say? What a kit! This is what Airfix can do when they put their mind to it! Well detailed, restrained panel lines, lovely cockpit construction and detail, and a near perfect fit, aided by the darker grey, stiffer plastic. This is, in my honest opinion, as good as an equivalent Tamiya kit (the new Spitfire Mk.I excepted as that is the next level). Painted with the newer Vallejo colours which went down flawlessly. Here's the pics.
DSCF7169-XL.jpg

DSCF7170-XL.jpg
DSCF7171-XL.jpg
DSCF7172-XL.jpg
DSCF7173-XL.jpg

After watching Phil Flory's build of the Hasegawa/Eduard kit, I did a bit of research and found I'd over-done the exhaust staining a bit. However, I used a bit of Tamiya Buff, well thinned, and I think they look ok.
DSCF7174-XL.jpg
The instrument panel is just the raised kit details with the perfectly-fitting decal. I think it's as good as photo-etch in this scale; nice work, Airfix.

DSCF7175-XL.jpg

I used Montex masks throughout and that includes the markings (except the tiger and the lady). They worked well. but a lot of work on the roundels, which could have probably been ok with the excellent-performing kit decals.
DSCF7176-XL.jpg
The lights on the wings are the only things that aren't great, just a moulded lump. I painted them first silver, then a mixture of clear red or green mixed with Krystal Klear glue.

Chipping work was done with Vallejo Metal Color Steel and a torn sponge.
DSCF7177-XL.jpg
DSCF7179-XL.jpg
The staining work was all done with oils.
DSCF7180-XL.jpg
DSCF7181-XL.jpg
DSCF7182-XL.jpg

That's it folks! A fantastic kit, highly recommended. The wheels are probably of from the kit, but the Eduard exhaust stacks are nice.

Thanks for looking,

Val

• Like 38

Very nicely done, Val!  I think the weathering is spot-on, including the exhaust staining.  I know that at least on the later marks of the P-40, the exhausts usually heavily stained the fuselage in a manner you have replicated.

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

Very nicely done, Val!  I think the weathering is spot-on, including the exhaust staining.  I know that at least on the later marks of the P-40, the exhausts usually heavily stained the fuselage in a manner you have replicated.

Cheers,

Mark

Oh cool, thanks for that mate, glad it isn’t too over the top! I got trapped in the spitfire mindset where they seem to spew oil and smoke out of everywhere!

You have done justice on the Airfix P-40B......it's an amazing and beautiful Flying Tiger to my eyes!.......(maybe I am a bit bias as there are a few things that you hv left out but nonetheless it's purrfect)

Edited by Kampartiger
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, everyone!

9 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Spot on colors and beautiful finish!! Thank you for posting it!! 

Thank you :) I used the new Vallejo Model Air colours on all three camo colours, and they went down great. I've not been convinced by some Model Air colours in the past but I thought these three looked good, and I'm glad you agree :)

7 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

Nicely done, I’ve got one in the stash. Glad to see a built up kit, and glad to hear it’s a nice one. 

Thanks! Builds up nicely, only places I found to watch is the modular nose (I didn't have too much of a problem, just the usual dry fitting and sanding you expect with Airfix) and the cones on the front of the landing gear pods; I could have (and probably should have) spent a bit more time on them.

AVG P-40B just the best, a lovely build well done sir!

This P-40 nut loves a good P-40, this is a good one