Bristol Aeroplane Company GB Chat

22 hours ago, rob85 said:

These are some great options! I’m waiting for my two Beauforts to turn up with baited breath! I like the idea of an Aussie one. 

if they are here by then, which considering they were scheduled to be out last year, I’ll definitely be building one from Malta. The other I’m not sure on, would love to do an one or Arthur Aldridge’s aircraft, but would need to look into it more.

failing that I’ve still get my beaufighters or Blenheims to do.... not very original of me though.

Rob

I'm getting desperate for my Beaufort, too.  It can't take much longer to get here, right?!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

I'm getting desperate for my Beaufort, too.  It can't take much longer to get here, right?!

56 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I’m hoping not!!

Anyone taking bets on which one shows up first ? 1/72 Airfix or 1/48 ICM. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Anyone taking bets on which one shows up first ? 1/72 Airfix or 1/48 ICM. 

Well I've ordered the Airfix 1/72 version, so it's a sure-fire bet that that the ICM one will arrive way beforehand.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Well I've ordered the Airfix 1/72 version, so it's a sure-fire bet that that the ICM one will arrive way beforehand.

My money goes to whomever gets here first, though I will buy both as I like the Beaufort. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Well, I’ve been wanting to do it for a while, like thirty years. I have a lot on so will use my 1959 1/79 scale Mk I Blenheim - for ‘Britain First’. Just a small matter of lowering the wing and a bit of silver paint 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2021 at 7:54 PM, rob85 said:

Today was a good day

First Beaufort kits I've seen in the UK,  thanks for sharing.

Means that mine (on pre-order at LMS) will arrive in time for this GB.  I'd imagine it will be a popular subject.

Edited Sat  13 March 2021:

My Beaufort has arrived. 

Decisions, decisions.

Airfix-Beaufort.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

First Beaufort kits I've seen in the UK,  thanks for sharing.

Means that mine (on pre-order at LMS) will arrive in time for this GB.  I'd imagine it will be a popular subject.

Well i was a bit surprised, PayPal told me the money had been taken a few days ago and then had an email saying they would be delivered yesterday and they were!

hopefully will be in stores soon and will sell out and encourage airfix to more kits that aren’t readily available at a good price

Thought I’d signed up for this one. I too have built a Bristol racer btw (1/32 scratch)

50405408446_640ddbfd13_c.jpg 

For the GB I have a Brisfit in the stash and I wouldn’t mind scratching an A and an F Bristol scout.

• Like 3

I have been planning ahead for upcoming GBs, and for this one I've got the Hobby 2000 (ex-Hasegawa) Beaufighter IF/IC. All the other kits of the "Beau" that I have or have built are of later versions, although this kit seems to include a lot of unused parts for these.

1190286-12741-41-pristine.jpg

It should make for an interesting comparison with the Airfix kit. Now, which of the 4 subjects should I choose?

I am also mulling the idea of an Airfix Bulldog in "exotic" markings, but that may or may not come to pass. And I have an old Airfix Blenheim that I had just started over Christmas, but that is currently earmarked for the French Fancy 2 GB.

And as if those were not enough, I also bought the Valom Bombay, but that may be a kit too far, given how busy things will get later in the year,

942101-20195-17-pristine.jpg

• Like 2

Very jealous of your early mark beaufighter, I really should have bought one of those hobby 2000 kits when I had the chance! I have the Hase mkVI and Airfix mkX in the stash, but the mkIf/c would be cool.

Rob

On 15/03/2021 at 22:06, rob85 said:

Very jealous of your early mark beaufighter, I really should have bought one of those hobby 2000 kits when I had the chance! I have the Hase mkVI and Airfix mkX in the stash, but the mkIf/c would be cool.

This set works perfectly with the Airfix kit.

https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/early-beaufighter-mkivi-conversion-6526-p.asp

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have pulled my Fly Bristol Freighter from the stash and had a good read of Laurie's build. 

I like the look of the RCAF version that flew from Langar in Nottinghamshire and so a connection to my home county (living in Yorkshire, you have to stand up for yourself) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Please count me in for this one too - I'm hoping to add a Blenheim, a Beaufort and a Beaufighter into the mix - all Airfix 1:72, and probably all Coastal Command. I may consider converting the Beaufighter to an earlier version with the Alley Cat parts, we'll see.

I'm looking forward to joining in the fun!

Thanks!

Matt 

• Like 1

Just found a Frog Blenheim in the stash, now, much as I'm tempted to build the RAF one, there is the option of a Finnish one on skis ! :hmmm:

Would @vppelt68 ever speak to me again if I didn't make the right decision ?

• Haha 3

I think we've never actually spoken to each other anyway, but you overestimate the negative effect on my will to write to you if you choose to build the RAF one 🙂. You've built many fine models of our historic aircraft, though, like the Fokker and the Dornier that first spring to my mind, and it'd be great to see the collection grow! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just stumbled on this GB chat, and it definitely tickled a nerve.

I have had for centuries a Frog Blenheim Mk I in what passes for a stash, and now I have a second Bristol kid thanks to the world roaming Scottish Father Christmas Pat, aka @JOCKNEY. He fulfilled a yearning I have had for years: to build a Beaufort. And through his kindness I received an Encore Beaufort Mk VIII.

Absolutely great, as it is a re-box of the Frog Beaufort Mk I. This kit has been as elusive as the Arlesienne throughout my life, so I am delighted.

Only snag, a Mk VIII is somewhat different in a few places from a Mk I, so as my knowledge is limited, I will go for a Mk.I.

As the Frog decals were added as a bonus by Pat, I should be able to get something decent!

Of course, I could build the Blenheim, but I may fall into the same dilemma that Pat is experiencing with @vppelt68...

Life is tricky enough as it is, so please put me down for a Beaufort!

Cheers

JR

• Haha 4