Bristol Aeroplane Company GB Chat

Calling all Beaufighter experts. This is an early Mk.VI with flat tail planes correct ? 

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Beaufighter/Malta/pages/Beaufighter-VIC-RAF-272Sqn-White-K-X8079-and-V-T5048-taken-over-Malta-01.html

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Beaufighter/Malta/pages/Beaufighter-VIC-RAF-272Sqn-White-K-X8079-and-V-T5048-taken-over-Malta-IWM-CM5105.html

Colorscheme is TSS in my estimation ? Bomb shackles under wing ? 

Secondary question, Does anyone have a blueprint/line drawing showing the exact placement of the wing Bomb racks ? I have photos and think they go on the big rectangular panel just inboard of the gun placements ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 5:40 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Calling all Beaufighter experts. This is an early Mk.VI with flat tail planes correct ? 

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Beaufighter/Malta/pages/Beaufighter-VIC-RAF-272Sqn-White-K-X8079-and-V-T5048-taken-over-Malta-01.html

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Beaufighter/Malta/pages/Beaufighter-VIC-RAF-272Sqn-White-K-X8079-and-V-T5048-taken-over-Malta-IWM-CM5105.html

Colorscheme is TSS in my estimation ? Bomb shackles under wing ? 

Secondary question, Does anyone have a blueprint/line drawing showing the exact placement of the wing Bomb racks ? I have photos and think they go on the big rectangular panel just inboard of the gun placements ? 

Not an expert sorry, but would also be very interested to know the answer!

Rob

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be joining in with a Britannia once I've got space on the bench - probably in a week or two.

Would a Canadair CL-44 be eligible? It's a licence-built Britannia, with a fuselage stretch and different engines.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, zebra said:

I'll be joining in with a Britannia once I've got space on the bench - probably in a week or two.

Would a Canadair CL-44 be eligible? It's a licence-built Britannia, with a fuselage stretch and different engines.

Hmmmmm, let me look into it.

Blenheim Landing light paint question if I may? 

Airfix suggest to paint the internal structure of their 1/48 Mk1 Blenheim's landing light in 56 (Aluminium), does this sound right to everyone?

I've painted my the internal wheel wells silver, however the bomb bay and inside the flaps will be painted Grey Green.

Cheers.. Dave  

Sounds right.

as I remember it; aluminium paint or clear lacquer is the primary corrosion protector and internal green is the heavier corrosion cover, thus green for areas exposed to use and the elements, aluminium paint for areas better protected eg. the cockpit of a Spitfire is green but aft of the cockpit is aluminium paint

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Sounds right.

as I remember it; aluminium paint or clear lacquer is the primary corrosion protector and internal green is the heavier corrosion cover, thus green for areas exposed to use and the elements, aluminium paint for areas better protected eg. the cockpit of a Spitfire is green but aft of the cockpit is aluminium paint

That's the best analogy for the use of these internal colours I've read about. Thanks BK

Cheers.. Dave 

On 7/8/2021 at 11:56 PM, zebra said:

Yeah I’ll allow it, the design was Bristol that was adapted by them so pretty much a Bristol aircraft in my opinion 

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2021 at 5:57 AM, rob85 said:

Yeah I’ll allow it, the design was Bristol that was adapted by them so pretty much a Bristol aircraft in my opinion 

Thanks! That'll be two builds from me then, the Britannia and CL-44 (they should look good side-by-side), once I've made a bit more space on the bench.

• Like 2

fDtep8F.jpgmin case you needed any Bristol motivation, here’s some beaufighter’s…. Just stunning, both in its colourisation and just as an image. Take a moment to imagine yourself watching this separated from it by some plastic….wow.

it’s not mine it’s rarity colour and will remove if needed, was taken from a public post on Facebook.

cheers all

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'll join this GB in early September, once the decks have cleared on other GBs. I'm not sure what to build though, as there are already (and predictably) many Bulldogs, Blenheims, Beauforts and Beaufighters. I have a Valom Bombay, but I am too wary of starting that. I will build a Hobby 2000 (Hasegawa) Beaufighter I, as I bought it specifically for this GB. I'm not sure if there'll be a second kit though, especially as I might not have the time.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 9:49 AM, klr said:

I'll join this GB in early September, once the decks have cleared on other GBs. I'm not sure what to build though, as there are already (and predictably) many Bulldogs, Blenheims, Beauforts and Beaufighters. I have a Valom Bombay, but I am too wary of starting that. I will build a Hobby 2000 (Hasegawa) Beaufighter I, as I bought it specifically for this GB. I'm not sure if there'll be a second kit though, especially as I might not have the time.

The beaufighter I is a great choice, we have lots of later marks but not to many of mk I’s

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I’d look in as a couple of Blenheims and a Beaufighter have magically appeared in the stash, there are some beauties in the gallery. I wonder if I could turn a twin around in a month 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

Just thought I’d look in as a couple of Blenheims and a Beaufighter have magically appeared in the stash, there are some beauties in the gallery. I wonder if I could turn a twin around in a month 🤔

Only one way to find out!

• 2 weeks later...

That's a bit late for me Rob.

With two Beaufighters complete and the Malta one scheduled to finish mid this week, I only have the nightfigher to complete before the deadline. 

That one will be 'R' for Robert. This was Cunningham and Rawnsley's plane. It was lost when another crew took it up. I'm not sure, but I think it is

one of the choices in the Revell kit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A mere week and some spare to go on this one! I need to really pull my finger out!

gallery is looking well stocked and fantastic quality, last little push will get some more stunning bristols over the finish line.

Rob

Some of you may have seen this on the BBC News website today. A plaque has been unveiled in memory of an RAF pilot who is said to have have steered his crashing plane away from a school in Gloucestershire - sadly he died but his two crew survived.

_120694427_screenshot-3gbbsapjrd1001.national.core.bbc.co.uk-2021.09.25-16_43_45-crop

The article says he was flying a Blenheim - if so I fear somebody did not do their research very well, which is a pity, but then it is still a nice memorial to a brave man! I suppose in some respects it sums up the Blenheim and its crews - they seldom really get the credit they should for all those almost suicidal missions they carried out long after the plane was obsolete.

RIP

Pete

• Like 3

Oops I’ve done t again, my ambition has outstripped my execution, that and a number of minor and not so minor  crises mean that although my three Bristols are a whisker away from finished, I’m not sure I’ll get them finished before the stroke of midnight tomorrow.

Any chance of a small extension till the 9th? And if I fail to get any of them finished by that time you can change my  sig to Susan or should that be Meyer?

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Oops I’ve done t again, my ambition has outstripped my execution, that and a number of minor and not so minor  crises mean that although my three Bristols are a whisker away from finished, I’m not sure I’ll get them finished before the stroke of midnight tomorrow.

Any chance of a small extension till the 9th? And if I fail to get any of them finished by that time you can change my  sig to Susan or should that be Meyer?

I don’t feel your alone I have no chance of finishing and I only entered with one!! 

It’s nearly last orders everyone needs to finish up their drinks and start booking their taxis! 

Rob

• Sad 1

This GB seems to have caught a lot of people out, including me! I probably could have finished my Beaufort but for the last couple of weeks I have been unwell and have no energy. Still waiting for the test results to find out what it is - I know there is a flu/covid like bug doing the rounds but it could be something a bit more serious - time will tell. Anyway I have still enjoyed the GB so thanks to the organisers, and see you in the KUTA I guess.

Cheers

Pete

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, PeterB said:

This GB seems to have caught a lot of people out, including me! I probably could have finished my Beaufort but for the last couple of weeks I have been unwell and have no energy. Still waiting for the test results to find out what it is - I know there is a flu/covid like bug doing the rounds but it could be something a bit more serious - time will tell. Anyway I have still enjoyed the GB so thanks to the organisers, and see you in the KUTA I guess.

Cheers

Pete

Hope the rest come back with nothing to worry about and your feeling better soon!

Sadly I wasn’t so much caught off guard, more had my time stolen by lots of other things that unfortunately pay the bills. Frustrating.

however, seeing everyone’s work on this has been great and the results are fantastic and varied with their subject.

A big thank you to everyone for taking part and making this a great group build! 

heres to what ever you do next!

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

A great GB, though my efforts didn't amount to much.

It was lovely to see all those Beauforts, Beaufighters, and Blenheims get finished.

Thanks to @rob85 for hosting, and the KUTA GB is not that far away, and so I have another ready-made entrant waiting. 😁

• Like 2