Bristol Aeroplane Company GB Chat

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

names:

@theplasticsurgeon

just a gentle reminder to the names on the original list, that this starts on Saturday 😃. Sorry if you have already popped up a post or I have missed any names it’s just from the list for the first 30 that signed up.

cheers all

Confirming that I still have 2 eligable kits - all as said in the chat.

I might not enter immediately, 4 other projects underway - but I will join in soon.

• Like 1

Don't panic Rob, I've already dragged 3 kits out of the stash for this GB. I've a 4th in mind but it's slipped into the depths of the stash and will probably need mined out. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 825 said:

Don't panic Rob, I've already dragged 3 kits out of the stash for this GB. I've a 4th in mind but it's slipped into the depths of the stash and will probably need mined out. 

3/4 kits? Your slipping I was expecting 5-10 😃

3 hours ago, Nick Belbin said:

Hadn’t forgotten either; Olimp Pro-Resin Bristol T.188 waiting on the desk. 

Nick

Not something you see every day! Fantastic!

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I’m in…

I’ve seen great choice too!

4 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Confirming that I still have 2 eligable kits - all as said in the chat.

I might not enter immediately, 4 other projects underway - but I will join in soon.

Nice hope to see you soon! There’s plenty of time.

I have another question for Beaufighter experts. I have the Airfix Mk.X.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a04019-bristol-beaufighter-tfx--691331

Now I know this is a long shot but want to ask. The kit comes with two sets of horizontal stabilizers. Both of which are later types that have dihedral. Can they be backdated to the Beaufighter 1 series flat tail plane or is it just not realistic. Yes I know there are aftermarket resin bits to replace them, unfortunately my $ budget is strained currently. If its not realistic no big deal will still build it as a Mk.X just more of a curiosity thing. 

• Like 1

Ready here Rob, once I've got the B17s out of the way…

I have a Superfreighter saved up.

And maybe a Beaufighter, or two :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have another question for Beaufighter experts. I have the Airfix Mk.X.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a04019-bristol-beaufighter-tfx--691331

Now I know this is a long shot but want to ask. The kit comes with two sets of horizontal stabilizers. Both of which are later types that have dihedral. Can they be backdated to the Beaufighter 1 series flat tail plane or is it just not realistic. Yes I know there are aftermarket resin bits to replace them, unfortunately my $ budget is strained currently. If its not realistic no big deal will still build it as a Mk.X just more of a curiosity thing. 

Without consulting to plans, I can’t see why you can’t Dennis. From memory if you chop and discard the small inner horizontal section and reattach the outer tail planes to the vertical fin straight, this should come somewhat close to what you’re after. It’s been a while since I looked at these parts in my own kit, however something tells me you’ll be able to get away with it. The earlier tailplanes are shorter in span anyway so this helps. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

You know, I hadn’t intended joining this group build. With a couple of builds in the Anything But Injection GB stuck and highly unlikely to be completed before it closes, I’ve been missing the smell of styrene cement.

As it happens, I’ve a pair of Bristols - steady now! - eligible for this GB, and I think I shall enter one. In fact, I’m already digging around to find out more about the Valom Bombay that’s somehow found it’s way from the stash shelf to my workbench.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

You know, I hadn’t intended joining this group build. With a couple of builds in the Anything But Injection GB stuck and highly unlikely to be completed before it closes, I’ve been missing the smell of styrene cement.

As it happens, I’ve a pair of Bristols - steady now! - eligible for this GB, and I think I shall enter one. In fact, I’m already digging around to find out more about the Valom Bombay that’s somehow found it’s way from the stash shelf to my workbench.

And entering with a bombay, brave, I like it! Heather the more Bristols the better I say…. Bring it along.

Rob

• Like 2

On 11/06/2021 at 08:22, Heather Kay said:

As it happens, I’ve a pair of Bristols - steady now! 

I bet you say that to all the boys ! :wink:

Great to have you with us Heather, a GB isn't the same without you. :like:

Anything with a 1940 theme by any chance  ?

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Anything with a 1940 theme by any chance  ?

You know me too well! :like:

Any box on my stash shelf will meet my 1940 criterion. I do admit to a couple of kits that are not about my obsession, though.

Right, now I'm going to post a thread about the Bristol build. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

More Bristol questions ? Blenheim Mk.I’s were they ever used by Coastal command ? Ive seen a F.A.A. Mk.I flown by 771 Squadron in 1942-43. But the scheme shown was standard overall T.S.S. Im curious if they wore the White/T.S.S. Camouflage ? 

Hi Dennis,

Had a quick check through my books and the answer seems to be yes and probably no in that order. "Yes" - Coastal Command borrowed a few Mk If and then operated a batch of Mk Ic it would seem - possibly used by a total of 5 squadrons, and "No" I doubt they lasted long enough for the grey/white scheme and I am not sure it would have been used on Beaufighters anyway as it seems more of a "patrol aircraft" thing - Catalina, Sunderland, Fortress and Liberator, Halifax Whitley and Wellington for example, although some Beauforts seem to have used it too so I may be wrong about that. The Mk I's seem to have been used as long range fighters as rockets and torpedos came a bit later.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mk.Vs were seen in "Coastal white" for patrol duties at Aden,  

I think that only the Beaufort trainers wore the scheme,

Didn't Andrew Bird do a book on the Coastal Command Blenheims?  Mainly used for convoy patrols, IIRC.  I think they'd not have got off the ground with anything as heavy as a torpedo, although such certainly were around - remember we started the war with Vildebeestes in Coastal Command!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Dennis, losing the plot.

I thought you were still talking about Beaufighters so ignore my previous post!

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Just a casual question;

Bristol Bloodhound missile

Eligible or not?

Hey BK... @Colin W's got a 1/48 kit thread up and running already, so I can't see why not. 

Cheers .. Dave 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Hey BK... @Colin W's got a 1/48 kit thread up and running already, so I can't see why not. 

Cheers .. Dave 

oh, I didn't see that

I wasn't questioning Colin's build as I did not know about it. My mind was on the old Airfix kit I have somewhere in my stash

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

I wasn't questioning Colin's build

I didn’t think you were, I’ve got the Airfix Bloodhound too and thought it more than eligible. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Doesn't the Airfix Bloodhound come with its own dog ?

Yep, sure does. Here's mine:

36101316004_543225295c_z.jpg

Given that it's old Airfix, perhaps 'dog like thing' might be more descriptive? :D

Just posting my holding entry for the Superfreighter.

'I' before 'E' except after 'C' eh? 

As Navy Bird would say, weird.

And of course it's been disproved by science…

• Haha 4

Somehow the three GB's (Brizzle, Less Than A Tenner and BF109) that I'm in are overlapping royally; I've done one for <£10 and have another on the go, and I've started the first kit in the Bf109 GB as well.  As things stand it may be a while before I get the Revell Beau out of the stash and make a start, but I haven't forgotten about the GB, honest!

• Like 2

On 6/13/2021 at 12:41 AM, Black Knight said:

Just a casual question;

Bristol Bloodhound missile

Eligible or not?

100% is eligible, made by BAC so that’s the basic rule covered!

jump in with it would be nice to see another, I’m all about fringe subjects.

Rob

18 minutes ago, rob85 said:

jump in with it would be nice to see another, I’m all about fringe subjects.

Maybe later.

I have a number of other models on my modelling desk in process of being built. These need finishing first