Bristol Aeroplane Company GB Chat

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 12:11 PM, AdrianMF said:

Count me in. I’ve built four Blenheims and still manage to have seven in the stash so I need to tip that balance a bit.

I've done a Beaufort and a Bristol 188 before but I’m not tempted to repeat either experience!

Regards,

Adrian

Hmm, As the other Adrian is interested perhaps I might do something for this group should it win in the bunfight. I have a lot on next year with a Heinkel 274, Short Mayo composite, Blackburn B20 and an SRN4, so perhaps something small and quick - Like my 1959  Frog Beistol Blenheim Mk1 in 1/79 !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2020 at 10:20 PM, CliffB said:

The Bristol Aeroplane Company had an Engine Division.  Would things powered by Bristol engines be allowed too?

Cheers

This is an interesting point.... but I would say it’s anything designed and/or built built by the Bristol Aeroplane Company.

however if you wanted to build a Bristol engine that would be cool!

what are other people’s opinions? Would it be stretching the brief too far to include aircraft with major component parts made by Bristol?

Rob

My take is that unless the 'Bristol' component is completely visible then it shouldn't be included.  Models and their themes should be displayed, in context with the GB title.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

what are other people’s opinions? Would it be stretching the brief too far to include aircraft with major component parts made by Bristol?

If its an engine on a stand yes thats fine in my opinion. If its small components or items not visible or below say 66% in a larger aircraft then its not truly a Bristol product ? 

• Like 2

It looks like my Gloucester Gladiator's a non-starter then!

Having built my Blenheim in the BoB GB, my cupboard is now bare of Bristol products.  I guess I'll just have to buy something else - oh dear, what a pity ;).

• Haha 3

Well that pretty much settles it, bristols must be on display to get into the GB.....

@CliffB sorry to make you buy more models, I’m the same I hate it, but this dam hobby forces you into! I keep trying to explain this to my girlfriend but she doesn’t quite agree...

Rob

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I keep trying to explain this to my girlfriend but she doesn’t quite agree...

Don't worry Rob, 

over time you will learn all the methods needed to get models past your girlfriend/wife and "into the system".

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Having gone to university a matter of yards from where Frank and Harold Barnwell built their first aeroplanes, I'd like to join as well. 

I used to have a book that belonged to Frank. I gave it to the Smith Museum in Stirling a few years ago. 

John 

• Like 2

Hello all, having just had a look through my stash to plan the builds for the 6 (then 7) Group Builds I would like to enter, I have decided to do the Libramodels Bristol Scout for this Bristol Aeroplane GB. The main question I have is - is it okay for me to cut and sand out the parts from the Vacform sheet prior to the start of the builds? There will be no building, just prep!

Thanks in advance!

Ray

• Like 1

Turns out there is a home for the Valom Bristol Brigand that I brought in anticipation pf the 'Wouldn't want to go to war in that' GB that turned into the 'wouldn't get past the 30 mark' GB. I read about the Brigand in a copy of Fly Past next year and went out and brought the kit. Hopefully, as with many of its aircrew, I'll live to regret this!

• Like 2

On 12/7/2020 at 8:24 PM, Mjwomack said:

Turns out there is a home for the Valom Bristol Brigand that I brought in anticipation pf the 'Wouldn't want to go to war in that' GB that turned into the 'wouldn't get past the 30 mark' GB. I read about the Brigand in a copy of Fly Past next year and went out and brought the kit. Hopefully, as with many of its aircrew, I'll live to regret this!

I have built the Valom Buckmaster kit that shares some sprues with the Brigand. The main issue I had with it was the undercarriage. You do not get enough retraction struts (two instead of four) and the engines lack the fans at the front. Not a Tamiya kit, but definitely easier than the Magna one. 

• Like 1

I have a few eligible kits in the stash and currently the front runner is the Fly Bristol Freighter that has a local connection for me. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr T said:

I have built the Valom Buckmaster kit that shares some sprues with the Brigand. The main issue I had with it was the undercarriage. You do not get enough retraction struts (two instead of four) and the engines lack the fans at the front. Not a Tamiya kit, but definitely easier than the Magna one. 

Ah right, thanks for the heads up, I'd best put ice round my mojo so stop it evaporating. Or I might stick to re-reading the article in Fly Past, which would be about my average participation in a GB- lots of research and good intention!!

• Like 1

For me, if I do it (even though I voted for it), I might do my Frog 1/78 scale Blenheim Mk1. This year has been very busy - currently completed 11 models and want to slow down a bit. Early in the year I have a Contrail Short Mayo composite to start and shelf queens to finish - like a whitley with Deerhound engines. Will see how the year goes

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2021 at 4:19 PM, Nick Belbin said:

Do we have a slot for this GB yet?

Nick

Yes, we do indeed! 12th June to 3rd October.

sorry, I’ve been a little quiet!

@Mjwomack a brigand, great choice, but rather you than me 😃.

thanks for all the votes and for getting this one through! 

I’ve got two beaufighters a Blenheim and hopefully the two Beauforts I have on order will be here, so a plentiful supply of options!

loving the variety of aircraft that are coming out!

@Ray S sure thing, with a vac kit getting them cut and sanded is WELL below the rules for entry kits.

looking forward to this.

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 11:53 PM, rob85 said:

Yes, we do indeed! 12th June to 3rd October.

Perhaps for some of i is interesting to know if two new Beauforts (1/72 and 1/48) will be already on market in this time. For example myself - I am thinking on conversion of Beaufort (Airfix, 1/72) into a DAP RAAF machine. Maybe even Beaufrighter... Second possibility  is conversion of Airfix Beaufighter TF MkX into Mk I or Mk VI. And Bombay (OOB). The last two are from what I have already in stash -   so I can join the group anyway!

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2021 at 10:12 PM, JWM said:

Perhaps for some of i is interesting to know if two new Beauforts (1/72 and 1/48) will be already on market in this time. For example myself - I am thinking on conversion of Beaufort (Airfix, 1/72) into a DAP RAAF machine. Maybe even Beaufrighter... Second possibility  is conversion of Airfix Beaufighter TF MkX into Mk I or Mk VI. And Bombay (OOB). The last two are from what I have already in stash -   so I can join the group anyway!

Regards

J-W

These are some great options! I’m waiting for my two Beauforts to turn up with baited breath! I like the idea of an Aussie one. 

if they are here by then, which considering they were scheduled to be out last year, I’ll definitely be building one from Malta. The other I’m not sure on, would love to do an one or Arthur Aldridge’s aircraft, but would need to look into it more.

failing that I’ve still get my beaufighters or Blenheims to do.... not very original of me though.

Rob

• Like 2