1/72 - Dassault Mirage IIIB by Modelsvit - released

Homebee

This will be a very welcome addition for Mirage fans.

Great news! Of all versions the IIIB looks the prettiest to me. The renders look really good - especially considering what appears to be nicely restrained riveting. Great work Modelsvit! At least three on my wish list..!

Jay

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pollie said:

I'm wondering what the status is of the Special Hobby Mirage 3/5 series....

You are not alone!!!  Special Hobby came out with exciting fanfare last year, then just dropped the subject with nary a hint of updated timelines for the different variants. Scalemates lists some general dates, but who knows?:waiting:

Gene K

I'm sure both will build into really nice Mirage's but the difference in price will be the question.  Special Hobby's series will likely be in the $20 range while I'll bet the Modelsvit will be in the $30 range.  Whoever gets theirs to market first will win the gold.  Ya pays your money ya takes your choice.  

Why do we need this? What's wrong with the Matchbox IIIB? 😁

No, seriously, I find this more exciting news than their Mirage IIIE.

Edited by ivand
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 9 months later...
56 minutes ago, Wez said:

It's not covered in divots!  I could be tempted

Wel, it's got "rivet" holes on the underside of the wing, the fin and the control surfaces, but none on the top of the wing or the fuselage. Is this something to do with how the aircraft is constructed?

No holes are what rivets go into, the representation of rivets using depressions or divots is nothing like how an aircraft is constructed.

• Like 1

Should have my Matchbox mega clean up build completed well before this comes out! Usually the way!

I'll start on my Airfix 1/72 Thunderstreak with the scribers and see what happens or miracles might happen!

Martin

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Wez said:

the representation of rivets using depressions or divots is nothing like how an aircraft is constructed.

This should be a major rule in every scale model designer's handbook!

Jay

• Like 1

Great news - wish there were also a IIIC coming. I've sadly lost faith in Special Hobby coming out with their apparently over-ambitious  series, but they appear to have opened the door for a top flite producer like Modelsvit to come in to fill the NEED.

Gene K

Edit add: Modelsvit "rivets" are really well done - restrained and in perfect "register". I don't mind them at all.

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

I've sadly lost faith in Special Hobby coming out with their apparently over-ambitious  series,

Why on earth is that apparent? Methinks they will manage just fine. A tad impatient perhaps?

Jay

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Wez said:

No holes are what rivets go into, the representation of rivets using depressions or divots is nothing like how an aircraft is constructed.

I know how aircraft are constructed with rivets thank's 😀 I'm not keen on rivet holes in models either. My point was some of the model has got holes representing rivets on some parts but not others, just wondering if there is something different about the Mirage III's construction.

• Haha 1

This photo seems to show visible rivets over the fuselage like the fin. Maybe the kit fuselage has them, even though they are not in the CAD. Anyway rivets don't stop me buying a kit if they are nice and fine.

90-arme-de-lair-french-air-force-dassaul

8 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I know how aircraft are constructed with rivets thank's 😀 I'm not keen on rivet holes in models either. My point was some of the model has got holes representing rivets on some parts but not others, just wondering if there is something different about the Mirage III's construction.

It's so easy to misunderstand a post on a forum, you don't get the context and nuances of face to face conversation.  Apologies for the misunderstanding.

No, there's nothing different about the Mirage III's construction, it's entirely flush riveted.  The rivets show up on a NMF Mirage because they're made from a different material to the skin but they're still flush riveted.

4 hours ago, Gene K said:

Edit add: Modelsvit "rivets" are really well done - restrained and in perfect "register". I don't mind them at all

But they're not there on the real aircraft, it's flush riveted.  Most airframe tradesmen of my acquaintance would try and shoot a countersunk rivet to be less than 0.005" flush to the skin, the really good ones would get them perfectly flush.  Scale 5 thousandths of an inch down to 1/72nd scale it would be impossible to see.  Fine if that's what you want but it's not realistic.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wez said:

It's so easy to misunderstand a post on a forum, you don't get the context and nuances of face to face conversation.  Apologies for the misunderstanding.

No, there's nothing different about the Mirage III's construction, it's entirely flush riveted.  The rivets show up on a NMF Mirage because they're made from a different material to the skin but they're still flush riveted.

But they're not there on the real aircraft, it's flush riveted.  Most airframe tradesmen of my acquaintance would try and shoot a countersunk rivet to be less than 0.005" flush to the skin, the really good ones would get them perfectly flush.  Scale 5 thousandths of an inch down to 1/72nd scale it would be impossible to see.  Fine if that's what you want but it's not realistic.

Of course rivets also show up on painted aircraft from movement which breaks the paint on the rivet head. The argument has gone on for ages about this on models and the only way to represent a rivet that is visible on a small kit with current technology is with a hole, so if someone wants this effect it's the only way. Personally I would rather see a stressed skin effect than rivets, but I can live with them.

5 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Methinks [Special Hobby] will manage just fine. A tad impatient perhaps?

Yes, definitely impatient! But then, it's only been one year and seven months since the SH announcement ... but who's counting?

Gene K

A Special Hobby Fan