JASDF C-130 Pale Blue Scheme

757flyer

When I made my JASDF C-130, I went down to Halfords with the update set instructions and bought the closest looking rattle can. Sorry that this does not give an accurate colour, but the model has been on many a display for a few years now and no-one has said anything different.

Jabba and Andy,

Thanks for the replies.  I was hoping against hope that someone might have found a color in an unrelated paint line that might work (no Halfords here in the States Jabba, but that is likely the path I would have to take).  I have the Gunze mix ratios that are suggested in the Hasegawa 1/200 kit instructions.  

Mike

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Welcome to BM, Mike! Getting tired of all the rain? My sister lives in Seymour- where are you located?

Mike

I'm in the Tri-Cities (upper east corner of the state along the Virginia line)  We haven't had as much rain as some other areas, particularly Middle Tennessee, but things are nice and green ;)

Mike

• Like 1

757flyer,

After looking for a T.O. on the colors and markings for JASDF C-130's without success, and after looking at a lot of photos, to my eye, the color looks close to FS35488. With that being said, you can't be very accurate eyeballing color photos, and every person's color perception varies, but until somebody comes up with official documentation, this might get you in the ballpark. (Maybe Lockheed-Marietta, who undoubtedly painted them before delivery, might be worth contacting?) Best I can do at the moment, but it IS a pretty color!

Mike

Is this pretty close?

http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=35488

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Like 1

Mike,

Thanks for the effort trying to get to the bottom of the color.  The airplanes were delivered in a Euro-1 style green and gray camo.  The light blue apparently came later after Japan began participating in more worldwide coalition operations (Middle East as I read it).  The Model Art volume on JASDF colors (No. 495) only shows the green/gray camo scheme for the Hercs, but does show the light blue over gray scheme for the U-125A.  It lists the blue color as a Japanese Standard (JS) color: S28-852, which of course has no FS equivalent.  So, if that is accurate, and the schemes do use the same blue, then we might know the JS number at least, but I haven't been able to find a "true" match.  Hasegawa give a Gunze mix for it: 80% 323 + 20% 62 - and that might be as close as we will get, unless one of the model paint vendors releases an actual real color for it.

Mike

I do like this shot that highlights the refueling pods they have added in recent years:

JASDF_C-130H_Hercules_(6).jpg

Those pods look like the MCARS that was fielded on the MC-130s for a while in the early 2000s. The crews disliked them as they had a whole lot more drag than the traditional pods (as was relayed to me by a pilot).

Cheers,

Hoops

The JS colour mentioned above is correct (also called 5BG 8.5/5 Pale Sky) and having seen the C-130s in real life, the photo colour is very accurate.

Try the ratio mix and see what happens or alternatively, take the photo along to a model shop paint rack and simply go along the colours, until you find a match (include games paints too, you never know).

I did this once for a JASDF F-15 aggressor green and guess what, i found a perfect colour. When i looked at the name, it was called Japanese Midouri Green from WW2, so maybe, just maybe, the colours are still used but just given different numbers and names, who knows?

Andy

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2019 at 12:38 AM, Hoops said:

Those pods look like the MCARS that was fielded on the MC-130s for a while in the early 2000s. The crews disliked them as they had a whole lot more drag than the traditional pods (as was relayed to me by a pilot).

Cheers,

Hoops

I still see them flying with those pods once in awhile.

Larry

Having replied to this thread earlier, I started and finished a Hasegawa 1/200 kit in the blue scheme, mixing my own shade. I used Vallejo 70905 and 70961 (light grey and blue), just adding blue until it looked right

• Like 1