Spitfire Mk IXc Yellow Leading Edge Decals - Help needed please!

Oberleutnant

Hi gents,

I'm trying to put the decals on my Revell 1/48 Spitfire MK IXc Spitfire and I've noticed for some reason the decal they've provided for the yellow leading edge wing markings are not long enough (see photos below).

I'm trying to get hold of some decals which run the full edge but its proving difficult. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

This painful Revell kit just continues to throw spanners my way. Its too late to consider painting yellow strips as I've already finished painting and applied a varnish ready for the decals.

Anyone know why Revell only bothered to supply part of the length? Their instructions show the marking full length.

IMG_20190710_202812

IMG_20190710_202728

IMG_20190710_202839

Getting  a touch frustrated with this kit!

Edited by Oberleutnant

11 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Put the rest of the decals on, Varnish/Kleer, mask and paint.  Job jobbed.

To get a bright yellow to go over grey and dark green is going to take about 10 coats of paint which will stand proud and look awful - I had the problem of painting yellow on top of existing paint on my last project.

I would paint a coat of light grey first then a coat of (or two) of yellow, it goes on ok over a grey and grey covers darker colours better (in my experience).

leading edge decals are not fun, I would rather put the work into painting.

maybe a ad in the wanted section, must be someone who has has some left over?! Sadly not my scale otherwise I would send you some.

Rob

• Like 2

Appreciate the replies gents.

I think I'm going to have to buy a whole kit from Italeri who do appear to supply the decals in full.

Next time I will consider painting but I don't want to risk ruining the paint I've already done on this kit.

I'm also just not confident at this stage in the game to get a good finish with overlapping yellow - especially as I'm using a brush.

I think I'll go for a different kit to Revell next time too. Fed up with it.

Edited by Oberleutnant
  • Like 1

If you have some wing walk or invasion stripe decals, you could overpaint them yellow and then cut to fit your model. Me, I always paint them, but I use Floquil, as it has no problem covering over  primer or any other color, quite frankly, except black that I use. (Guess that gives you an indication of how 'old school' I am, but I'm not giving up the three bottles I still have!)

Acrylic? We don' need no steenkin' acrylic!

Mike

• Like 1

Buy a sheet of plain Yellow and cut out your own. Lifetime source for yellow bands, stripes etc.

OK Harry Lime beat me to it as I was typing. The sheets with stripes is another solution. Search people like Hannants as several companies make that type of product.

Edited by Hornet133
more info
  • Like 2

I think I probably have the yellow leading edge decals (not from this particular kit) somewhere if they’d be any use to butcher for your kit?

• Like 1

Good work gents, appreciated.

I think I will get one of those sheets of yellow and cut my own - got enough on the sheet to get it wrong and simply replace.

Is this the right colour yellow do you know?

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/XPS5

There are 3 types shown on the below link (flouro, golden yellow and traffic:

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/decals/aircraft-decals/fantasy-printshop-decals/stripes-0-25-9mm/

Love this forum!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I think I probably have the yellow leading edge decals (not from this particular kit) somewhere if they’d be any use to butcher for your kit?

I'll have a go at cutting them matey, but thank you.

Hopefully I've got the ability to make them the right shape!

1 hour ago, Oberleutnant said:

I'll have a go at cutting them matey, but thank you.

Hopefully I've got the ability to make them the right shape!

If you PM me your address I'll hunt them out tonight and get them in the post to you if you still need 'em....

I've been looking for wartime photos on line and found one of a Vb where the yellow started immediately outboard of the red patch over the inboard machine gun port . I think that's what Revell's decal designer intended as the decal looks just the right length to do that . Obviously the instruction sheet designer thought different .

• Like 1

Far easier and quicker than trying to get decals to fit, just mask the area, give one coat of a tan or light yellowish brown ( I use panzer yellow) and, when dry, one coat of the yellow of your choice - done!  Yellow is fairly translucent and need an opaque base, but the tan or panzer yellow gives a perfect base without making the final yellow to bright.

It is difficult to get decals on right on double curved surfaces such as Spitfire wings leading edge. I would mask and paint. First a coat (or two thin ones) of Tamiya white - which covers well. Then yellow on top.

Nils

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@Jordi is correct this is just two coats of yellow brushed on. rOyP2iE.jpg

Dennis

Hi mate. 

If I painted 2 coates of water based acrylics it would barely make an imprint. 

I find with water based acrylic if you don't thin them a lot you get heavy brush strokes and really thick, poor quality finish.

Part of me wishes I'd gone enamel. 

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@Jordi is correct this is just two coats of yellow brushed on. rOyP2iE.jpg

Dennis

Impossible to get a good finish with two coats of water based acrylics in yellow. 

Get a really poor quality thick, heavy brush stroked finish and to counter that you have to thin heavy which takes tons of coates when over an existing colour which is darker. 

Had it painting over my Bf109 when I forgot the yellow band and wing tips. Absolute nightmare and took absolutely ages. 

Edited by Oberleutnant

On 7/13/2019 at 3:14 PM, Tail-Dragon said:

Far easier and quicker than trying to get decals to fit, just mask the area, give one coat of a tan or light yellowish brown ( I use panzer yellow) and, when dry, one coat of the yellow of your choice - done!  Yellow is fairly translucent and need an opaque base, but the tan or panzer yellow gives a perfect base without making the final yellow to bright.

Hi mate. 

Thanks for the tip. 

Is this acrylics or enamel? 

6 hours ago, Jordi said:

Why would it take ten coats of paint?  Mask it off, apply some white (it doesn't need to be 100% opaque, blinding, stark white), then apply a coat or two of yellow.  Not difficult at all.  And far easier than trying make a 2D decal fit on that 3D surface.  Give it a try - you will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm not sure I yet have the ability to mask a curved shape along the wing tip. I worry it would end of looking crap with one wing totally different to the other and the line wonky. 

How would you go abour doing it? Curved masking tape? 

1 hour ago, Oberleutnant said:

I'm not sure I yet have the ability to mask a curved shape along the wing tip. I worry it would end of looking crap with one wing totally different to the other and the line wonky. 

How would you go abour doing it? Curved masking tape? 

Use narrow strips of tape. When I mask to paint the yellow leading edge I’ll cut a strip of tape approx 1/4” (or less) wide. That is narrow enough to follow the curve on a Spitfire wing. I spray mine but if you are using a brush and have good control you may be able to use an even narrower piece of tape, otherwise if you are worried about overflow, add an additional strip of tape. It isn’t hard to eyeball the exposed wing edge to ensure both wings will have similar yellow leading edges. You can also wrap tape around the leading edges to mark the beginning and end of the stripes.

• Like 1