CC-138 - DHC 6 Twin Otter - Series 300M CAF.

CC-138 Twin Otter in scale 1/72

Short Take OFF and Landing (STOL). The Canadian Air Force is (to present knowledge) still using 4 Twin Otters, that are stationed in Yellowknife (Northern Territory). Tasking for SAR, logistics and communication flights.

Able to land on: Water (Floats) / Snow (Skis) Rough terrain with kind of balloon tires

Can take 20 passengers or 3000 kg. cargo. /Propulsion by means of two Pratt & Whitney turboprop PTA-6A-27 engines. Endurance is about 1400 kilometer with a speed of 325 KM/H.

Total max. take-off weight 6350 kg. Max. ceiling 8250 meter.

Kit: Matchbox/Revell. Build OOB.

Paint XTRA Color

Figurines: Preiser

IMG-1210.jpg

IMG-1223.jpg

IMG-1226.jpg

IMG-1312.jpg

UNIMOG FLU 419 SEE =(SMALL EMPLACEMENT EXCEVATOR)

Specially designed for the US Army. Withdrawn from service and widely available as second hand item

It contains a loader, backhoe and auxiliary hydraulics.

Four wheel drive with front and rear locking differentials.

Mercedes 110HP diesel engine with 16 forward and 8 reverse speeds.

Speed on the road 40 MPH with attachments.

Kit: Planet Models Resin (CMK website) Build OOB.

IMG-1213.jpg

IMG-1320.jpg

Diorama:

Yellowknife runway has been cleared by the Unimog and the Twin Otter has been replaced from the hangar to the runway. For another day of service in a very harsh climate. Due to area of operations, skis are attached.

The base is from ESCI and can be covered with a plastic top

The snow: Build up from wood glue and finished with precision Ice and Snow from Krycell.

Regards,

Orion / The Netherlands

Edited by Orion
  • Like 35

Hello Paul,

It took two times to get the pics placed.

Thanks for watching.

Regards, Orion

Looks like a natural environment for it. I got to go through one at an airshow years ago, very small inside. I was surprised when I heard there still is a few of these left.

A wonderful project and an evocative diorama! It not only looks very realistic, but cleverly undelines the tough characteristics of the Twin Otter.

Extremely well thought out and realised!

Kind regards,

Joachim

11 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Looks like a natural environment for it. I got to go through one at an airshow years ago, very small inside. I was surprised when I heard there still is a few of these left.

Like the Beaver, it is literaly the airplane that will not die, nothing has been able to replace it, still in production, and they are starting a long term program to power them with electric. https://leehamnews.com/2019/03/26/canadas-harbour-air-to-fit-electric-engines-on-its-plane/

Edited by Robin-42

24 minutes ago, Robin-42 said:

Like the Beaver, it is literaly the airplane that will not die, nothing has been able to replace it, still in production, and they are starting a long term program to power them with electric. https://leehamnews.com/2019/03/26/canadas-harbour-air-to-fit-electric-engines-on-its-plane/

So cool of the conversion. I have a friend who works in the offices for them.

Dear Brit Modeler Comrades,

Thanks for the kind words regarding my little diorama. Really appreciated the effort to write some lines.

I have a second one, but still looking for the Argentine Air Force arctic decals.

Regards, Orion.

Great model and diorama. Coincidentally I saw a Canadian civil version only this week. A survey Twotter running lines up and down the coast off County Wicklow at about 100 feet.

If you want to fly in one. Go to Newquay in Cornwall where Skybus operate four on flights to the Scillies. Definitely on my bucket list. 

This is amazing. What a great job on the diorama too...just looks COLD!! What a great airplane, too. I rode on one a couple of times way back in the 70s, when they were being used by Rio Airlines in Texas for regional hops out of DFW to anywhere else in state. What a loud, hot, small, uncomfortable, but very useful airplane. There are many still around finding their purpose as jump airplanes and cargo short-haulers. job well done on this build, indeed! :clap:

Hi Orion,

Wow, this is ace! I love it! As Paul says, it just looks cold!

Very nice detail work, not only on the plane but also on the Unimog. Great to see the little things like the snow stuck to the sides of the tyres and bucket also the white lines just showing through the ice on the baseboard.

Top marks from me!

Cheers,

Ian