PK-413 Matchbox Chinook HC1 …

So fourteen days spent finishing the H-19 were not entirely wasted because during the odd (some of them very odd) pauses I did a bit more of this

PPP is having the most severe test since I started using it, here

The moulded canopy I made fits reasonably but almost inevitably there is stuff to do, so I decided to do this the asthma friendly way with PPP instead of one of the more volatile stinky smelly putties like Humbrol or Green Stuff

So test under way

P1010174.jpg

This is similar on both sides and I have been hoping to remove this without damaging the surface of the new PETg, we'll see

Rubbed down with a smooth sanding pad wetted with an available wetting agent we proceed

P1010176-1.jpg

Some work to do there I see

Both sides were basically the same

P1010179.jpg

With the wetted sander this has smoothed out and feathered perfectly, at least 'til we get a coat of primer on

I have ben following Giorgio's Eurofighter and noted an exchange between him and Steve referring to using Alclad Aqua Gloss to make or retain glossiness

In Mike's model shop I found they had some of this acrylic based gloss finish yesterday and popped it into my little basket

I have given the clear portion a gentle brushing with this blue looking soup and have been very pleased to see it does what Giorgio says on the tin/jar

It has dried into a very shiny finish, I am a fan

You are supposed to dip it but as the nose has two levels of 'horizontal' and might have leaked in I used the wide brush instead

Nice stuff

(Oh bugger, just as I am contemplating a dash for a chinese and chips* the heavens have opened... sod's law rules)

Back later to attempt the very complex masking job before I prime this

*chick'n chop suey and fried rice on a bed of chips for the sauce to trickle down through, I bet St Peter and his cronies have that every Friday night

When I 'm up there I will!

:)

• Like 6

8 hours ago, perdu said:

chick'n chop suey and fried rice on a bed of chips for the sauce to trickle down through, I bet St Peter and his cronies have that every Friday night

In case anyone was thinking that the jokes about British food were just lazy stereotypes, along comes this sentence. 🤮

AW

• Haha 5

Nice PPPing Bill, smooooth :) 

15 hours ago, perdu said:

You are supposed to dip it

Well, so they say. I've found that masking tape can spoil the finish (I probably don't let it dry enough) so I brush it on at the end. Takes all sorts :) 

• Thanks 1

I wont be masking this 'til at least Monday evening... OK afternoon is more likely. I am always impatient too

By then I expect to have half a dozen fried egg sarnies with a gourmet mix of Daddies and Lidl Tomato sauce liberally sprinkled over them

Or not, but I have been known to make a sarnie of anything

Fish fingers is a favourite

• Like 1

T’riffic.  Funnily enough, a pair of Chinooks flew by Harrogate yesterday, and when I saw them I thought ‘I wonder how Bill’s getting on with his’..........now I know :)

I also thought ‘How devilishly handsome and aerodynamically impressive these rotary wing aeronautical devices are’ :wicked:

Actually the Chinook is a seriously handsome and impressive machine of course.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, perdu said:

So fourteen days spent finishing the H-19 were not entirely wasted because during the odd (some of them very odd) pauses I did a bit more of this

PPP is having the most severe test since I started using it, here

The moulded canopy I made fits reasonably but almost inevitably there is stuff to do, so I decided to do this the asthma friendly way with PPP instead of one of the more volatile stinky smelly putties like Humbrol or Green Stuff

So test under way

P1010174.jpg

This is similar on both sides and I have been hoping to remove this without damaging the surface of the new PETg, we'll see

Rubbed down with a smooth sanding pad wetted with an available wetting agent we proceed

P1010176-1.jpg

Some work to do there I see

Both sides were basically the same

P1010179.jpg

With the wetted sander this has smoothed out and feathered perfectly, at least 'til we get a coat of primer on

I have ben following Giorgio's Eurofighter and noted an exchange between him and Steve referring to using Alclad Aqua Gloss to make or retain glossiness

In Mike's model shop I found they had some of this acrylic based gloss finish yesterday and popped it into my little basket

I have given the clear portion a gentle brushing with this blue looking soup and have been very pleased to see it does what Giorgio says on the tin/jar

It has dried into a very shiny finish, I am a fan

You are supposed to dip it but as the nose has two levels of 'horizontal' and might have leaked in I used the wide brush instead

Nice stuff

(Oh bugger, just as I am contemplating a dash for a chinese and chips* the heavens have opened... sod's law rules)

Back later to attempt the very complex masking job before I prime this

*chick'n chop suey and fried rice on a bed of chips for the sauce to trickle down through, I bet St Peter and his cronies have that every Friday night

When I 'm up there I will!

Thats a bit of a pisser.  High Build Primer from Halfords would have been a good alternative

I had quite a bit of building up on the starb'd side Si, the primer (I do have some) wouldn't have made up the deficit

Quite happy with how it is coming along now though

(glad you are watching from the back of the room too, Si)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

That's a lot of PPP....

....BTW, WTH is PPP?

Perfect Plastic Putty.

Great stuff!

The fried egg sarnies sound a lot better than then chop suey and rice over chips. Especially if you throw some bacon in too!

I was known to eat mustard sandwiches as a kid. Nowt else, just mustard!.....

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Be advised PPP is odd stuff

Very odd, in that it don't sand happily at all because it is a cohesive amalgam of white chalky chalky stuff held in colloidal suspension in a damp atmosphere in its tube

When you sand it the surface granulates and dust scatters to the ends of the earth but, if you sand the surface with a sanding stick which has been wetted the dust drops into a moist, gloppy substance that fills gaps and smooths right out off the stick

Its best points other than its damp polishing goodness are that it dries out very quickly leaving you with a surface that begs polishing lurve

Polish PPP don't treat it roughly and you will fall for its abilities very quickly

Giorgio emme has aptly demonstrated applying to gappy joints and removing the excess with damp cotton buds

Brilliant method

👍 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh look polished PPP

Now under normal circumstances this would be time to give a signature splash of black to define the insides  of the framework15717482174743368610634289420988.jpg

not here though

15717482874024197446971846680422.jpg

These maskings are just to define the limits at the moment, being Chinook there are an assortment of odd excrescences to be added first long before we get painty on it

15717485204162673155439807862458.jpg

Most of which go on the snout, none of which would take to glueing to painted surfaces

There's these for a start

1033851013-o.jpg

These mysterious gubbinses that I assigned the names of "the big nobby knob thing in the middle" and "the two hairy horny stick things"

I have found the two horny stick things but nobby the knob is in hiding

back laters guys...

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, perdu said:

15717485204162673155439807862458.jpg

It may just be perspective, but it looks as though the bottom edge of your windscreen slopes up to the right.....

Ian

• Like 2

It does at the mo' Ian*  And the centre screen has a tilt but this is just to locate the gubbinses I have already corrected the lower edge bias while sitting here looking for the nobby knob

And I must add never mind about upsetting me if you see a grockitt, that is what WIP is for to me mate

*If you look at the image on screen you can see the pencil mark it will all be adjusted to on the left

The upslope is right from this angle, the right front panel will be adjusted to suit later too

cheers

• Like 4

That's ok then.

I agree re the comments. A second set of eyes can often spot something that we who spend hours poring over our creations can miss. I hope if anyone spots anything on one of my builds that they would draw my attention to it, just in case!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

I've been known to pm people if I have something to add or help with but on my own builds I prefer the interactive bit, if you see something and tell me maybe somebody else will be happy to join in and help me improve

I certainly need (want) more help these days as my eyesight begins getting more flaky

• Like 2

Cheers Ced not to worry this wont be the only time I had to get a big nobby thing in the middle organised

A chunk of suitably size sp runner can easily be found and pressed into service

15717555339817569029315973119663.jpg

• Like 3

Bill, I'm not sure about the early mk1s, but the pictures I've seen of mk2s have a very similar knobbly knob on the back face of the rear rotor pylon. If you only have 1, maybe make a mould of it before you attach it?

Visible on this pic from the walk around section...

ch%2014.jpg

32 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

....and in my rear end pics on page 2 - I'm sure Bill's all over it! :winkgrin:

Yes indeed the pair of them and all the other similar excrescences around the airframe, they are all on the list for producing

I may yet buy another Airwaves set because several meshes were missed off that need reproducing too

ZA714 will need a mesh adjacent to the AN/ALQey thingy on the starboard side as well as other bits and sods

The nobby thing they provide in the kit is a nonsense, if you look at it the curved face is totally mis shaped

All fun for this afternoon

Thanks for worrying though, its good to get feed back as we go

• Like 1

Thanks for the hint Andy but

I have miles of suitably oval sprue from historic sources, as seen on the Puma

Which was a first generation kit with no added greeblies which I understand made it into later iterations with dust filters et al.

Nice, useful picture again, ta

• Like 1

Now then, has anyone any experience using Eduard 6x6 steel mesh?

Hannants list it as ED00033

I want mesh for the missing grillwork and to punch out a circle for forward exhaust of the cabin heat exchanger thingy just behind the pilot's back

Decision on hold awaiting your help

Thanks