PK-413 Matchbox Chinook HC1 …

47 minutes ago, perdu said:

New tack a'coming

Humbrol acrylics 164 Dark Sea Grey and 163 Dark Green

Worked fine for me on the Jaguars, why re-invent the paint coatings? HUH?

Not at all pleased with Mr Hobby paint or Xtracrylics, the beat goes on...

Strictly an enamels man, me - still have lots of 'old' Compucolor, Gloy, Humbrol and Precision, plus 'new' Humbrol, Revell, WEM Colourcoats and Xtracolor...

....even acquired a batch of 'old' Humbrol (including Authentics) off eBay earlier in the year - but variations of a colour between the brands can be quite wide!

With two- or three-colour camoufIage, I sometimes find the first colour just doesn't seem right, but when the second's been applied it suddenly looks fine...

.....I think it's because I'm expecting to see it alongside another colour or shade, and until that's actually there, to my mind's eye the one colour looks wrong...

....but in this case, a simple side-by-side comparison of my page 3 pics of ZA671 and the two 'look-down' ones above, and that grey appears OK to me, Bill!

• Like 1

To be fair I'd be OK with @Jamie 's paints but there is no way I can justify buying six tins of paint just to get the one I'd like

Not his fault, these impositions are forced by financial pressures

And I am as yet forbidden to drive after my operation so I cannot go trawling round the model shops nearby

And so!

Humbrol's Acrylics get the gig

In natural light the Mr Models grey is not quite what I look for but should act as a reasonable base for the Humbrol

Ne'er mind hey, ☺

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

With two- or three-colour camoufIage, I sometimes find the first colour just doesn't seem right, but when the second's been applied it suddenly looks fine...

Never a truer word spoken! I've experienced that almost every time.

Terry

• Like 1

I’m disappointed you’re disappointed in Mr Hobby dark sea grey Bill, as I was thinking of using  Mr hobby paints for my TWU Hawk.

I guess I’ll keep a watching brief now as to what you think of the Humbrols.  And pop back to your Jag thread as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

To be fair I'd be OK with @Jamie 's paints but there is no way I can justify buying six tins of paint just to get the one I'd like

Not his fault, these impositions are forced by financial pressures

And I am as yet forbidden to drive after my operation so I cannot go trawling round the model shops nearby

I got mine as a small joblot of 15 off eBay - included a couple of colours I'll probably never need - but at about 50p per tin, no worries...

....especially as there were a couple each of Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green - the already-opened MSG was what went on my ASaC.7...

12 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Never a truer word spoken! I've experienced that almost every time.

Same with the stage between paint and decals - looks odd, apply markings, looks fine!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

I’m disappointed you’re disappointed in Mr Hobby dark sea grey Bill, as I was thinking of using  Mr hobby paints for my TWU Hawk.

I guess I’ll keep a watching brief now as to what you think of the Humbrols.  And pop back to your Jag thread as well.

I have to say I was happy with the performance of the Humbrol acrylics on the Jaguars, they look the part to me

This is the look I aimed for

19943635315_d56af9c3b3_o.jpg&key=8a61f64

That does look like the proper grey to my eye

"This IS the grey you seek!"

19917376606_a20c5f1631_o.jpg&key=cd7895a

So it is to be on with the motley tomorrow if my plans stay unmodifed...

• Like 3

Ah yes well, in the chronicles of Norman Stanley Fletcher he became library trolley operative

In the process the words "I read a book once. Green it were" were uttered by Brian Glover

I regret I cannot put in a link although it is readily available on Goggle

It became a frequent giggle with Gwyn and I  and to be honest I thought that Brian deserved a place in my story

Still creases me up

Sorry...

• Haha 2

Well now.

50 minutes ago, perdu said:

I have to say I was happy with the performance of the Humbrol acrylics on the Jaguars, they look the part to me

This is the look I aimed for

I have no good reason for quoting you Bill - or for gratuitously repeating that piccie of your XX829.

But it is a particularly nice photo of a particularly nice model of a particularly pretty aircraft and the colours look particularly good and that'll do for me....:whistle:

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, perdu said:

Ah yes well, in the chronicles of Norman Stanley Fletcher he became library trolley operative

In the process the words "I read a book once. Green it were" were uttered by Brian Glover

Rumour has it, Fletch was to become HMP Slade's cinema projectionist...

....and the line was to be "I saw a movie once. Blue, it were."...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Now that is lovely. The proper way to paint a Jaguar, although I will say back in the dim and distant past when I worked in MOD and we were "helping" deliver new ones to the RAF, they had grey undersides. They went wrap around a little later I think.

What scale is that one Bill?

Terry

1 minute ago, Terry1954 said:

Now that is lovely. The proper way to paint a Jaguar, although I will say back in the dim and distant past when I worked in MOD and we were "helping" deliver new ones to the RAF, they had grey undersides. They went wrap around a little later I think.

What scale is that one Bill?

Terry

It's in my usual 1/72 little scale Terry

• Like 2

This might not look much different but its tone looks better to me, obviously as you see masking has begun

IMG-20191123-WA0000.jpg

Well actually masking is done for the Dark Green, Humbrol Acrylics for that too

Later on after settling a dispute with the owner about using my fridge motored compressor

She thinks it is too stinky and that replacements need to be found

IMG-20191123-WA0002.jpg

More on this later

I hope...

😠

• Like 11

On 11/20/2019 at 1:28 PM, perdu said:

Declaring this a disaster of minimal proportions

15742552636571411528830447232001.jpg

Lots of megatidying  to perform, dammit

And this is even worserer

15742553404233534182661663610116.jpg

I mean

Lookit the state of that!

Utterly unacceptable

Might be time to ditch the Wokka and drift along up the (down the) evolutionary ladder

Thinking about this tonight but two rotor magic from the past beckons...

Go 1/35th every time 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Crisp I was dashing off to dine, sorry about the shortness of response sir

I am treating an elderly Hasegawa/Frog E.E. Lightning F6 to a set of Pavla innards and some tasty transfers from my collection

No real pushing bounds with this so I might keep it to myself until it can have a RFI if it's any good

Trying some different surface treatments, I have a couple of AK pastes to try out here

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1