PK-413 Matchbox Chinook HC1 …

2 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I feel that coming too. Quite soon I'd imagine!

Terry

He's probably having an attack of the vapours as we speak.

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, perdu said:

The clear makes the bare grey very dark but of course the white gives lighter colours (and in this instance shows me I need to make the logos even lighter) but the background colours will need to be filled in with corresponding colours

Or painting the outlines in Humbrol

I have redrawn the squirrels and made a pair of different background colours to try as the base on the model, with fortune for once on my side this may be enough to allow me simply to wipe off the white edges on the decals with a slipshod application of Humbrol

I will find out tomorrow and bring the pictures to show how good/dumb this idea was

ciao

• Like 3

This bit I hate, stickertime

And as the colours go on, as I try to relate the Matchbox "Stickers here please!" chart to the photographic reality time slows down

Even Nineteenth Nervous Breakdown becomes a dirge and I have resolved to only do a little bit at a time, the fuel filler label is flooded with Daco Strong, it needs an overnight pause to dry and shrink  so more to do tomorrow

15759902295395075456712802872296.jpg

Matchbox do not give you the right directional RESCUE arrow, that had to be cannibalised from an Xtradecal sheet for an 18 Sqn anniversary scheme, other markings will be gleaned from the Model Alliance sheet too

I am trying to be true to the Special Services machine if it is humanly possible

In the mean time before I begin my Belvedere, yes that is on the way, here is a glimpse of my mojo cracker surrounded by enough potential markings for me to make a Mk6 with some Mk3 stickers

It's always the stickers...

IMG-20191206-WA0005.jpg

Might still end up with the 11 Sqn markings, who knows but I do not fancy another grey green camo for this little job                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

• Like 8

I  will be fair Chris, many of the kit ones are fine and I only had to relocate part of the upper door hatch one

The red legend by the fire extinguisher symbol needed placing lower, some will need transposing port to starb'd too but basically good

Trying to see if the red/yellow edgings go on the walkway or not, next big search

• Like 1

Little bits catchee monkee...

I think that is how the old saying goes, but I cannot remember anyway

I heard it said that Modeldecals creator had a hand in the decal sheet for this model, certainly has the Dick Ward look but not the artwork quality methinks

Putting on the stickers is often time for reflection and I have been characteristically reflecterating.

The Lettering style looks fine but in all respects is just a tad over emphatic, take the yellow and red dashes around the upperworks walkways for an instance

I see from Andy's pictures that the dashes are there but the transfer dashes look far too big and blocky in comparison so I have trimmed some of the width off them and because I am not happy with the positioning of the upper vent-looking things NOW it is time to use the decals (the instructions beat me when it came to working out where to put them, so I just put them on the flats on the upper fuselage) some thinning of the walkway was er, prudent?

Hmm yes prudent so I did

And the ROYAL AIR FORCE  legends on the fuselage were just a little too thick looking so I was just about to use the Model Alliance decal sheet letter which were the right thickness but just a tad spaced apart too much when I noticed that the Xtradecals Black lettering (RAF postwar) was actually right on size and thickness so I used the preprinted ROYAL AIR FORCE legend from that

Looks OK to me, whaddayasay?

15761628412091192199628709180254.jpg

only these two decals on this side today and because of shrinkage issues (they didn't) with the fuel filler panels  only a couple more of the filler decals awaiting Daco shrinkage

If they settle in on this side overnight I can begin adding more stencils, I just do not want to disturb the ones in place

15761629972928025462625264652447.jpg

Stickerfest is more of a gentle play in the stream of consciousness whilst I analyse which other kit ones I CAN use

Wiederseh'n

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, perdu said:

Stickerfest is more of a gentle play in the stream of consciousness whilst I analyse which other kit ones I CAN use

Now that is a quintessentially Bill statement.

Looking good Bill. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Shalako said:

Very nice work so far, however, I would like to ask couldn't you do something about the roundels because they look a bit transparent.

Cheers

Bill

They look a bit thin in the flash, not so bad in normal light

If I can find some 'proper' ones these can come off but that won't help when it comes to the Seven Stars logo for 7 squadron which are in the kit decals

Oh my we get a tough crowd in here lately don't we?

15761856855904101923793081578725.jpg

OK off it came

And its brother

And a Walter from either 18 or 28 squadron lost his chance for life

Modeldecals 95 gave up its red/blue tacticals

15761861088104882851503860088525.jpg

Hmm not convinced the sacrifice was worth it, how about you?

15761866548436520452985624438459.jpg

This is a best as it is going to get now though

Daco later to dewrinkle the Sol surface things/artifacts

😢

• Like 6

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Hmm not convinced the sacrifice was worth it, how about you?

15761866548436520452985624438459.jpg

This is a best as it is going to get now though

Daco later to dewrinkle the Sol surface things/artifacts

😢

The originals did look a bit 'washed-out' - though as you said, that was probably due to the flash photography...

...but the replacements do look better in terms of colour density - just a pity that the slight out-of-register white edge has ended up on the green, rather than the grey, where it would have been less likely to be seen...

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

It is going to have to come off anyway, there is an unwanted 'artifact' caught under the top arc

Can you see it?

I could see a 'bump' at the top edge, but thought it was perhaps just an air bubble - what size are the roundels, Bill?

I've probably a spare pair, if you need some...

• Like 1