PK-413 Matchbox Chinook HC1 …

A most finely-turned pair, Sir.  Excellent.

Since you’re worrying about running out of styrene tube of the correct dimensions, is it worth pointing out that other (perhaps more metallic) materials are available?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

A most finely-turned pair, Sir.  Excellent.

Since you’re worrying about running out of styrene tube of the correct dimensions, is it worth pointing out that other (perhaps more metallic) materials are available?

Although there is much wisdom in what you say Yoda it behooves me to mention that my forte is plastic modelling

I admire, admiringly, those such as yourself and various other geniuses in metalworking but having "worked" with metal for so very much of my life I do like to make most of my hobby work with plastic materials

Resin has no fear for me, Perspex© is a friend from way back but metal, etchy stuff I still fear as the work of the devil

And having spent a fortnight trying to make etchy grid works vanish into the overall look of this Wokka, I simply have to say

"I wish Lesney had moulded the grids into the surface"

Metal is not an area of expertise that is likely to pay dividends in my model making

I prefer watching you, Tony and Alan make miracles happen in your builds

Oh yes, I am out of suitable Albion Alloys tubing too

My LMS doesn't stock the slide packs so I need to order them especially

😕

• Like 5

I think I can claim a win on the squirrels, the 'print on white paper then lose the background' method seems to have worked reasonably

Port side on dark sea grey

15779099691714931102797700476583.jpg

Time and applied distressing will make the colours come together methinks, around the little beastie

and even on this side too, starboard on dark green

15779100418435332541740321167793.jpg

And I can now declare that Wokka and I are no longer an item, frankly I just dont like it... AGAIN!

I tried too hard to correct things that maybe only I saw as problems and although I will finish it there is no way it will undergo scrutiny from judgement

I hate the front end treatment, wont do that again

So many places needing a fine brush and a gentler touch than I feel up to these days, ho hum said Pooh...

Oh yes the legs, here we are open to more ribaldry

Will these do folks?

15779101193744797378502068055584.jpg

"Time for paint" says Zebedee

• Like 12

Hello Bill, looking very nice. You do a treat on these old helicopter kits. I wish, I had a passion on that. Happy new year and have a neat one.

Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

1033851000_o.jpg

It is probably fair to say/admit I am somewhat drawn to this image all through the build

I have applied the Matchbox transfers as supplied but the maxim 'model the machine not the type' comes zooming down to bite me now.

I have the decal sheet copies from Andy and also the posh Model Alliance(? Is that right?) All of which give square black panels for fuel info

When I look at 714/EX above there are no fuel panels on the sheets that fill the need so it has been time for Paint Shop Pro 4 to come to the rescue

These panels need to be taller than the kit decal and need to have AVTUR in white across the upper edge as can be clearly seen on the picture

And there needs to be an extra one on the bulged panel between the two front filler caps

So fresh made ones have been printed and varnished, probably fitted this afternoon

• Like 3

1577971476551442615936368309061.jpg

Wet varnish did its usual 'thing' and cause a slight run because the air temp is too low for rapid drying but the slight blue bleed off hasn't weakened the new markings on the sheet

I will try the slightly larger ones on the right for size on the model (Nothing but visual sizing available so it has been 'suck it and see' time on print sizing)

Yes the word AVTUR is there but if it does not show up later I can do a reprint, but with thicker text sizing

Concept proof testing - danger do not enter

AXIOMS TESTED TO DESTRUCTION

EXPECT LOUD NOISES AT IRREGULAR INTERVALS

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Lots of lose the white background allied to a fair bit of Darken Ship on the black panels

15779818391247498345250924998321.jpg

Truly unhappy with this stage of the task

(see, it has become a task instead of a pleasure)  :(

• Like 5

Been feeling similar with my UH-3H, Bill, in that it's been a chore at times - so can empathise...

....but keep calm and carry on - and hopefully the end result will reward all the effort so far! :fingerscrossed:

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Truly unhappy with this stage of the task

(see, it has become a task instead of a pleasure) 

I feel your pain Bill.  It really sucks when the enjoyment falls out of the build (says I as I just mucked up the 'straightening' of two rotor blades!)

Keep at it cos I'm sure you'll bring it to fruition soon.  We's all rootin' for ya!

• Thanks 1

Dilemmas: this game is full of 'em ain't it Bill?

I never realized how big an effect on mood making a smaller thing of a thing could have until taking up the reins again.

You've more experience and wiser than me at it; you'll find the route through that's hiding there. :nodding:::thumbsup2:

• Thanks 1

Maybe it’s the time of year... miserable dark days and chilly to boot... but there’s a few of us in the doldrums at the moment eh?

It’s a new year so let’s have a resolution - get the bloomin’ things finished and move on!

My little effort will be done soon - pushing positive vibes your way Bill :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the pos-vibes guys

No doubt the answer will open its closed doors soon enough but the fun has definitely started hiding

I like the new fuel panels per se, so I can feel a new print off being on the cards for a Friday Morning beginning

We shall see

Alan may I respectfully suggest what Gareth suggested, cast off the good one

Make zillions and sell  them to Fly builders around the wide world

Simples

(isnt it easy to make other people's problems so less awful than one's own…)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, perdu said:

No doubt the answer will open its closed doors soon enough but the fun has definitely started hiding

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Maybe it’s the time of year... miserable dark days and chilly to boot... but there’s a few of us in the doldrums at the moment eh?

Must be something in the New Year air.....Both sides of the Atlantic.....

I’ve spent several modelling session over several days simply repairing self inflicted damage (e.g. broken-off aileron corners, surface scratches, clumsily over-scribed panel lines) done during clumsy handling.  Fed up with cyano/flour, Mr Surfacer and micro mesh.  And it’s all merely an attempt to return things to how they should be and used to be.   Nothing photo worthy, nothing satisfying, all doldrum inducing.

You hang in there Bill......

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

I’ve spent several modelling session over several days simply repairing self inflicted damage (e.g. broken-off aileron corners, surface scratches, clumsily over-scribed panel lines) done during clumsy handling.  Fed up with cyano/flour, Mr Surfacer and micro mesh.  And it’s all merely an attempt to return things to how they should be and used to be.   Nothing photo worthy, nothing satisfying, all doldrum inducing.

(And people wonder why I don't spend much time scribing...)

I am sure, as  sure as you are about me, that you will soon sort out this minor niggle sector your model making is suffering as I am sorting mine (I hear great things for cyano/baking powder)

Bill is happy to report that today's new fresh prints of AVTUR3 decals with enhanced white lettering have satisfied his soul

All I need now is for the third coat of TS-80 to dry without bleeding across  the surface and I will be happy with the fuel decals

Then it is interminable  numbers of STEP   NO STEP stencils for the roof of the aerodyne

New legs on and wheels and various antennae fitted

Then build either a Belvedere or a HO3S-1...

(Intriguing kit the MPM Dragonfly, several choices of cockpit glazing - all FEMSA rated I'm told...)  :(

• Like 5

Useless info of the day is the three Fuel markings high up on the tank are for 'open line' refuelling (much as you do when you fill the car) while the lower larger marking is on a panel that is pulled up where the High Pressure refuelling hose goes (more of a plug the hose head on to a socket on the airframe type of affair). 

• Thanks 2

Must finish the Wokka before I attend to the Billvedere Tomo

Must

Must

Anything but useless PLC1966, thanks

At least I can try to get the pressure point right unlike Matchbox who appear to have taken a guess for the position of the 'open line' ones

I cannot see another pressure point decal on the other sponson (In Andy's pictures of EX) so I have had to leave that sponson clear

• Like 2