PK-413 Matchbox Chinook HC1 …

1033928152_o.jpg

Okeydokey

The above circle on a fuselage symbol which isn't the roundel...

(For info of any passer by that has only just stumbled into this den of idiocy)

Andy mentioned sending me scans of said marking from his cache of available Wokkadecals

Since my discovery of the Ancient Stash Of Letrasettery and sheet 1s O I have also noticed the same tiny decal on my Model Alliance set

But I dislike it intensely, from the above picture of a Chinook bearing, as I understand it, 8" lettering on the ROYAL AIR FORCE lettering the real circle looks to be about seven and a quarter inches by sizestimation

The decal sheet's version looks closer to five inches

Anyway to test the principle my favourite method is the time-hallowed 'suck-it-and-see' method

So would house ladies and gentlemen's try a taste of this please

The Letraset is where the actual one will rest, the potential imposter sits under the  IR in Air Force

15775378159538195503162315349555.jpg

Only the O shape works for me...

• Like 7

Definitely the Letraset O - initially thought that the 'Royal Air Force' title was its own height too low, when compared with the photo above...

....but having learned from the black demarcation around the DAS, just checked the pics of EX on page two, and your model matches those...

....which goes to prove that two aircraft photographed on the same day carried what should be standardised titles in two different positions!

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Always model the subject, not the aeroplane

Been a maxim of mine for a long time.

Blimey, a very long time.

Wow

Once you gave us the photos and I decided on EX that became the focus of the thread so I look at all the idiosynchracies in the pictures

Of course I won't get all of it right but I do want to get as near as poss...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Another vote for the O thing

19 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Definitely the Letraset O

20 hours ago, hendie said:

O shape for me

In case you were one short of a quorum, I concur with these chaps.

The alternative you have is the same alternative I had in my 1:48 Model Alliance set. Not surprising I guess as they come from the same source, but it makes me wonder what they've seen that made them include something so small.

Anyroadup, cracking save on the  undercarriage. 

• Like 1

Letraset.

Just brilliant.

You weave nostalgia and inspiration together in one wonderful fabric Bill.

Hat doffed to you in this respect and in sundry recoveries that would snap the sinews of a lesser man.

👏

• Like 2

18 hours ago, perdu said:

Always model the subject, not the aeroplane

Been a maxim of mine for a long time.

Blimey, a very long time.

Wow

Once you gave us the photos and I decided on EX that became the focus of the thread so I look at all the idiosynchracies in the pictures

Of course I won't get all of it right but I do want to get as near as poss...

A very quick investigation into the differing positions of the 'Royal Air Force' title reveals that - initially, at least - the 'lower' position was how it was applied to the ZA-serialled airframes, with the 'upper' position being how it appeared on the ZD block. Just in case anyone else was wondering (which they probably weren't!) :laugh:

• Thanks 2

Further (& probably after the fact) support for O.

(By the way, have I missed someone saying what it actually is in real life?  Static  pressure hole vent thingy with mark telling you not to paint anywhere near?)

• Like 1

I guessed it was a static point 

I found the Belvedere

And got some more stickers on

15776380063778530593084437434037.jpg

Without flash

15776381010667118967958212756557.jpg

I need to find out how Hendie gets his stickers on, even during his builds

They just sit there, no visible backing even though we're looking at matt surfaces

Beats me, anyway this is where I am before misting a flat green over the wrinkled bits to cover the valleys between the plateaus.

I will have a few more stickers to go on but at this point I am happier with this than at any time since I closed the fuselage

Let us see what horrors emerge next...

• Like 6

That's looking mighty fine there Bill

3 hours ago, perdu said:

I need to find out how Hendie gets his stickers on, even during his builds

Nothing special Bill.  Sometimes the gloss coat isn't very good either.

I put a dab of MicroS1 on the appointed area - slide the transfer onto that puddle then move it around cos it's never in the right place.  Once I have it in position I'll press it down with a damp/wet piece of kitchen roll to remove excess liquid under the decal and sometimes add another dollop of MicroS1 on top.  After a few minutes I'll press it down again and then apply some MicroS2.  I'll add another few spots of MicroS2 over the next 10 to 15 minutes and that's it.  I never let it get dry between applications of MicroS1 and MicroS2.

Once they're dry, they're on there.  I've tried tape and can't get anything to lift at all.

On really difficult stickers I'll keep applying MicroS2  every half hour as long as I'm working at the bench.

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hendie said:

you do it differently ?

Nowhere near as well

Must do better

( seeing which rockets my memory back to 1960, school report "M**** must do better, he can but constantly fails to try hard enough...)

Many of such comments failed to get through, must try HARDER...

• Like 1

And to digress further

Trying harder, honest, the first two legs under construction

15777096535122553407374302029288.jpg

Here we has two new legs, a very battered old one and some raw materials

from the top:  there is a length of Aeroclub 0.076" tube

below that: the last remaining piece of 0.052" Aeroclub tube outside captivity in someone's private stockpile, sadly too short to make the upper main legs from

below that: the pair of legs I am trying to take from sow's ear to silk purse/stocking (legs geddit)

A cross piece of 0.076" with a length of 0.047" Evergreen rod in as an axle, then drilled to allow a piece of Albion alloys tube to make an upright

below them: a length of Evergreen Rod at 0.062" which will be drilled out down the centre like the outer tubes on the undercarriage parts above it

In the absence of the Holy Grail of fine diameter plastic tubes, the aforesaid 0.052" Aeroclub grey tube, I cut a pair of lengths of the Evergreen 0.062" and then drilled down inside the rods to make tubes

I have the other MH-47E to make if I decide on making my green Wokka in the future, and having purloined its legs I need to make legs for it too and I might as well do  that now

So off I go, busy boy huh?

• Like 7

I think they'll make the cut just fine Bill! Very nicely done. Of course, you could always use Albion Alloys metal tube and solder it all.....

(ducks and runs)

Ian

• Haha 1