PK-413 Matchbox Chinook HC1 …

19 minutes ago, CedB said:

Oh no, sorry to hear that Bill :( 

We'll wait though matey - can't waste all that work on the internals and greeblies…

That's what I said - the seats alone make saving it a must...

....I'd forgotten about the outside etch greeblies!

59 minutes ago, perdu said:

Time to search for new transfers on 'the bay' methinks, total paint off job looms

I can do you hi-res scans of my kit sheets, Bill - would give you walkways, AVTUR panels, etc...

• Thanks 1

I might be able to work off that Andy

I'm in the garage/paint shop this afternoon so I can check the damage, I think it is mostly the seven stars which are in danger

The ones on my later Wokka sheet are the smaller tactical scheme ones

The stencils are the biggest loss, I got new fin flashes with the Xtradecals roundels so they won't be lost if I have to sand off the kit ones

Now where did I put the Belvedere?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, perdu said:

I might be able to work off that Andy

I'm in the garage/paint shop this afternoon so I can check the damage, I think it is mostly the seven stars which are in danger

The ones on my later Wokka sheet are the smaller tactical scheme ones

The stencils are the biggest loss, I got new fin flashes with the Xtradecals roundels so they won't be lost if I have to sand off the kit ones

Now where did I put the Belvedere?

PM me your email address, Bill, and I'll send them through later - and as it'll only take a couple of mins, I'll mod the serials and codes while I'm at it...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Any others in favour?

Absolutely! That's exactly what I use - couple of coats allowed to dry to provide gloss finish, apply decal to wet Klear, and immediately brush further Klear over and around...

....the decal can be teased/eased/pushed into position with the brush in the process - when it dries, it conforms to curves, recesses, lumps and bumps just like decal solution...

....case in point - the rivet detail under the national insignia shows up beautifully:

spacer.png

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Um… has it crazed again Bill? Back of the port side under the engine?

I hope not 🤞

If it has I'd give the gloss coat a miss - do you need it now?

• Like 1

It is going to need it at the back where the serials go

That crazing is the residue of the first lot after sanding

I am considering repainting that area only to fix the crazing look

The actual paint is smooth there now

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CedB said:

Um… has it crazed again Bill? Back of the port side under the engine?

I hope not 🤞

If it has I'd give the gloss coat a miss - do you need it now?

Looks like the effect of the angled lighting to me Ced. I'd go for an extra coat Bill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No Andy it was Tamiya's TS-79 Semi Gloss that was over exuberantly applied and failed by pilot error

I'm not blaming the varnish, it always worked well for me in the past

This time I am using Humbrol Clear to get the 'regulation' shiny top coat so the transfers can then sink into obscurity under the matt top coat

We'll see after the crazed bit is dusted in with my Ultra

• Like 1

Oops

Lost both sets of front legs in handling issues

I put the Italeri (Slightly finer moulding) legs on so I could paint the beast and its undersides but during the extended handling trials whilst I tried to get the paint and decals joined seamlessly (ish) the front legs got damaged

No fret says I, there is a set of front legs in the kit

So on they were popped but still having troubles with markings these got damaged too, so now a period of quiet reflection and frantic scratchery begins

During the markings saga I realised that neither Matchbox nor Model Alliance gives us the circular black ring with a white dot that exists just behind the front window, ( I mentioned this over on Chris's thread and posted a large number of irrelevant pictures, now removed to reappear here   :(  )

I did remember this time that I have a rather extensive stash of old school Letraset sheets in a folder near here...

As you will see there are a large variety of fonts and sizes as well as colours of useful 'things'

15774570923348039287397141595711.jpg

In many sizes but now I fear less available, one favourite selling point was W.H Smith, I doubt if the modern WHS is as useful

My local one doesn't even seem to have Airfix's mag, last time I looked

Anyway, a few more of the stashlet

15774571841761898055538843811065.jpg

And

15774572695563362123268095133326.jpg

These were a useful source of proper font lettering, this I think was from a Helvetica sheet as I was beginning to sort fonts for XV814 the lovely RAE Comet 4 that flew with a Nimrod style fin fillet whilst testing various underfuselage panniers*

I built mine from the 1/96 scale Frog Comet, now long gone to the tip...

*XV814 used black upper fuselage letters by the way, we didnt re-invent Raspberry Ripple  :(

• Like 3

So you may wonder if I managed to find the thin walled circle I needed for the Wokka

The old WHS sheets I mentioned came up trumps

A major drawback of Letraset is that it can distort during the rubbing down application procedure

I found many of  the right size in Set1 and applied them to a sheet of blank clear decal paper

Two are all I need :)

1577461103673224884830473313232.jpg

Look OK to you?

They suit me sir, suit me

On the piece of decal sheet which is to donate the serial number to the airframe, awaits a stiffening layer of varnish

Might not even be needed but in for a penny

15774612765301113690308416889115.jpg

Small white dots will be added to the centres to replicate these

1033928152_o.jpg

Now to work out the main gear leg construction...

• Like 7

So, it is a twin wheel axle set into a strong base casting

15774629881811817228830670908340.jpg

And here we begin, next follow through to make two axles the same

15774630920132075160980141603687.jpg

When all my grey John Aero tube set is gone I expect it to be near enough the end of the world, not much left now...

Right then I'm off to begin the oleo link bracket thingy, back in a bit

Good at the technical nomenclature huh?

Ciao

• Like 5

I also have a collection of Old School Technology, though slightly less extensive; a mix of Edding, Letraset, Normatype and some WH Smith, including the same Set No.1, complete with 35p price ticket - though the oldest is easily a Letter-Press set with printed retail price of 3'11...

....filed the idea of using a couple of WHS No.1 O's away for a rainy day, though the white centre dots will have to come from elsewhere - my only white sets are Edding ones, and they both use squares for full-stops!

Nice work on the replacement front gear legs - methinks I shall transfer some spare CH-46 legs from the spares box to the CH-47 boxes in case of similar mishaps!

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 2

That is a lot of stash Bill - still, you knew they would come in handy one day didn't you?

Looks like your legs are coming along fine - who needs a kit when you have skills like yours?  I shall hold my breath until the finished articles appear as if by magic...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1