PK-413 Matchbox Chinook HC1 …

Which were good

I have me the Norwegian  set for when the fancy takes me

This venerable lady, by the way was gifted/dumped on me by a chap (chaps Crisp, chaps) who despised the old girl so much he'd painted the entire cabin coal black then found he couldnt hack it

She is having a fruitful life with me, paint assessing and providing useable noses for S61-Ns

• Haha 3

Well regretfully painting has been further delayed, not entirely sure I would want to be applying paint in the residual atmosphere of a retreating Rain Age anyway

She who knows, better these days I admit than in earlier years,  has decreed NO GARAGE TIME for the foreseeable

( So we don't seek to see what? , when? or why? for a bit and hope a 'dash-in' works without hidden consequences in days to come)

What can I do next?

I know plan her bottom, all a little vague for the SF birds Andy showed us

Where's me pencils?

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I know plan her bottom

Whose? 'She who knows better's'? I'm confused :wicked:

Stay warm and safe Bill, we need you fully recovered :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I am confudged

The bottom I need to become better aware of is not that of She!

Trust me in this discreet point

The one under discussion is this one

1033851000_o.jpg

Front end, is that a cable snipper?

Just behind are those little lumps near the first training tail antenna exclusive to Squirrels?

The tea towel antennae, port side shorter than starb'd, do they both start level at the back?

Moving on back...

I have to decide how much of this is relevant only to me or whether the needs of 22 dictate that from a Regimental honour thing they need to be on the model for me (ex 23)

This getting bogged down stuff is why I take so blooming long getting down to nittygritties I fear

Two mor e nights with pencil sketches and I may have a plan...

• Like 2

Thanks Andy, just goes to show how much adding sunlight brings out the brown in the green too

By the front edges then looks as if  the bumps are part of the floodlight mounts and should be on the model too

I can clearly see that the tea towel rails are not symmetrically mounted so I can deal with that, just need to see if that is a cable cutter, next the floodlight

About ready to declare this a go now cheers

• Like 2

Don't think so - don't recall ever seeing cable-cutters on British military helicopters prior to Merlins and Apaches...

....possibly because our chopper crews were always highly-versed in looking out for and avoiding flying into wires?

Edited by andyf117
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2019 at 4:15 PM, limeypilot said:

Perfect Plastic Putty.

Great stuff!

The fried egg sarnies sound a lot better than then chop suey and rice over chips. Especially if you throw some bacon in too!

I was known to eat mustard sandwiches as a kid. Nowt else, just mustard!.....

Ian

A friend of mine, now sadly deceased, used to chuck mustard sarnies to the gulls from the Dover-Calais ferries: the birds would thank a big chunk and gulp it down and only then discover that doing so was not a good idea, especially as they couldn’t regurgitate them.  As for the bicarbonate of soda butties.........

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Assuming you're referring to the small protusion in line with the aft edge of the chin window, EX has two of those. one each side - just visible between the rear edges of the window and the outboard edges of the landing lights in this head-on shot from page 2:

spacer.png

This supersize shot of BC - an oddity in that she's wearing 18 Sqn codes, but 7 Sqn's badge - only appears to show one, to port:

spacer.png

Pre-squirrel EX at the TVS Airshow at Hurn in '87 clearly has one to starboard as well in this supersize view (great for Nitesun detail):

spacer.png

Couple more pics (not openly displayed here as they bear copyright logos)  confirm one each side:

https://live.staticflickr.com/2937/13535647724_db3218cf0d_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/3779/13535643694_43105bd9e8_b.jpg

But still no idea what they are, nor why two on some aircraft, but only one on others - possibly squirrel stuff?

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If I am right in what you are talking about, they are a 'L' shaped tube sensor (Sorry for some reason I can't remember its name) and what you are seeing is the cover over it. I will try and fin a more close up photo of it.

• Thanks 1

And in a particularly fortuitous moment grey happened

15740819070034364823011716727636.jpg

Some of the PPP needs a tidy up but not a lot

And a few more places need more actual paint skin attention (Viz: the fore pylon)I am kinda pleased with the Airwaves grillework

15740821511274713691075260880162.jpg

More tomorrow!

Further Dark Sea Grey and Mr Levelling Thinner

• Like 6

Looks rather good Bill. I love seeing paint going on! Btw, I picked up a second Merlin (another bargain) at yesterday's show down at Middle Wallop. This one is the Revell Naval boxing. I'm rather taken witj them after seeing yours on the stand at Telford.

Terry

On 11/16/2019 at 8:33 PM, stever219 said:

A friend of mine, now sadly deceased, used to chuck mustard sarnies to the gulls from the Dover-Calais ferries: the birds would thank a big chunk and gulp it down and only then discover that doing so was not a good idea, especially as they couldn’t regurgitate them.  As for the bicarbonate of soda butties.........

I have to admit to wondering, on more than one occasion, what would happen if seagulls were fed unpopped popcorn, then zapped with a microwave while flying away.....😏

Ian

3 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I have to admit to wondering, on more than one occasion, what would happen if seagulls were fed unpopped popcorn, then zapped with a microwave while flying away.....😏

Ian

I had cousins who used to feed alka-seltzer to the gulls in a vain attempt to make them explode.

• Haha 3

Terry I think the Revell kit might have all the upgrades my Italeri HMA1 didn't get, many of which were sent to me by Richard when he was engaged in helping me 'mode'

Just been looking at my HC3, wondering whether to but there are things ahead on the list, yet...

Massimo there is the slight reorganising of some of the grey to be finished first, but not too long now I think as a slight tidy up is on-going

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, perdu said:

Terry I think the Revell kit might have all the upgrades my Italeri HMA1 didn't get, many of which were sent to me by Richard when he was engaged in helping me 'mode'

It ain't necessarily so; the original Revell HMA.1 boxing was the same as your Italeri, Bill - 04410 is sans cuffs, but 04907 has them...

....as I see grey Merlins passing overhead or close by most days, I'd happily crack on with mine - except the one acquired as part of a batch is the 'wrong' one...

• Sad 1