PK-413 Matchbox Chinook HC1 …

A long time ago, blimey I can really say that- it was!

A long time ago when Matchbox released their CH-47D/Chinook HC1 I eagerly bought it and immediately set about refinishing the surface detailing by emphasising some panels and fading some out of the picture with my favourite at the time underscraping technique using Mr Swann-Morton's number two blade

Then a short time later with Wokka unfinished I had a crisis of interest and ceased model making of any kind  :(

Almost everything I had in my spares boxes, most of any kits I had begun and many other things vanished into the dust bin

My first scratchbuilt Sherpa along with a Dakota I had bought, and the Modeldecals for the Farnborough machine and uncounted models I had finished including my Air Portable SWB Landie

THE LOT straight into the bin

Kaput

Anyway leap on over thirty years and dr_gn of erstwhile BM fame awoke my interest in modelling on Pistonheads and I got the urge again so here I am taking up batons I dropped a while back

As you may be aware I am in  the middle/end phases of two other builds but feeling meself getting bogged down I decided to have another go at The Mighty Chinook

I have NOT abandoned the H-19 or the S-61N, but my mo needed a bit of a new jo and what more inspirational helicopter than the Ch-47 can you imagine getting on with?

I picked this boxing up at one of the model shows a while back, knowing full well that I have the itch to scratch

Here is the rather battered old box

P1010254.jpg

With its transparent parts, I have decided to build  the windows and nose as moulded so these will be used as they are

Probably

The box was well filled too

P1010252.jpg

And I think the finished model will satisfy my little itch

A huge transfer sheet comes with it too

P1010253.jpg

Lots of choices here and there is a multitude of other options out there on the net if needed

The cabin is a little primitive and does not have the passageway between the hold and cockpit that it should

Well it didnt...

P1010256.jpg

It didn't have the shelving that holds the comms gear either

P1010258.jpg

Then

I took direct inspiration from @simmerit's monumental Trumpeter build for the interior along with zillions of interior shots all over the 'web

Sorry about the blurry shot, sorting that out soon

P1010259.jpg

The starboard side has a heat exchanger-y looking thing with an outlet just behind the pilot's seat on the outside wall tucked away where the shelves are on the port side

P1010261.jpg

Can you see it in there along with the insulated silver pipe/hose?

And extra comms gear, phew blimey

P1010265.jpg

That isnt at all clear is it, another?

P1010266.jpg

A few of the cockpit controls placards from Reheat dotted about under paint give a reasonable look to the thingy in there

P1010267.jpg

There is a slatted angled bracket across the opening lower down

Here it comes

P1010269.jpg

A short piece of evergreen channel was opened along one wall and a small triangular fillet was introduced

When I come back to this next, maybe tomorrow but I have S-61N canopies to mould tomorrow, I will trim it to size and place it in the lower hole area

This is it for tonight, will it do?

P1010268.jpg

I want to give full acknowledgement to SI for all his inspirational work with the Trumpeter kit and admit unreservedly that his pictures now grace my hard drive and are likely to be my main resource during what I hope will be a quite short endeavour

His work should be seen here

I hope he will soon be able to take up where he left it

Anyroadup, 'night for now

• Like 25

Today we will mostly be making S-61 canopies

And working out how best to represent diamond shaped sound deadening material in 1/72 scale

Deep joy...

• Like 2

Nice one Bill,

11 hours ago, perdu said:

and dr_gn of erstwhile BM fame awoke my interest in modelling on Pistonheads

Didn't know that Garth was to blame to be congratulated....

Wish he could be persuaded back.

I know it'll never happen.

• Haha 3

At least Ian this is one I have flown in, back in 77 being lifted out of 'the field' at endex of Reforger

We supplied recon in the hillsides in Bavaria for the ex, great times

At the end we were trucked out to a field of flattened corn and picked up by a pair of US Army CH-47s, t'was marvellous to get flown off to debrief in those

A few years later the RAF got theirs, before the Argies got ours.  :(

Definitely one of my favourite aircraft ever

• Like 6

2 hours ago, perdu said:

And working out how best to represent diamond shaped sound deadening material in 1/72 scale

Worth looking at various brands of paper towel. They can be stiffened up for paint application with a PVA/water wash. 

Great choice and smashing work already. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another Billicopter; hoorah!

I have always had a completely illogical suspicion of the Chinook: too many gearboxes.  One of my mates from flying training (a splendid Devonian Crab called Andy Lovell) went on to get zillions of Chinook hours, and he swears by the aircraft, so clearly my suspicions were nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, perdu said:

At least Ian this is one I have flown in, back in 77 being lifted out of 'the field' at endex of Reforger

I too can remember being flown about the place in a chinook.

Wot I chiefly remember is being sat down near the back being chucked about at low level, and the ar*e of the aircraft swinging left and right -  and to my way of thinking definitely not following the front end nicely around the corners.

That’s what comes of giving the ar*e end its very own lifting device it seems to me....

Of course it might also be that the nice chaps purporting to control the horrible beast thought it would be fun to make us throw up...

Edited by Fritag
  • Haha 11

And?

Didya?

Me? I was stood at the front with the loadie smoking a couple of his Marlboros as we wandered round a very picturesque Bavaria seeking a military base that was prepared to take on a few dozen scruffy Brits who needed showers, feeding and billets for the debrief

This very amenable chap was happy to stand a fag or two whilst we searched for home, I very much doubt if I could have stood in the door of a RAF Wokka smoking and unstrapped in

None of us were strapped in, most of the guys were crashed out on a pile of bergens, radios and 7.62mm ball blank ammo

I think we all enjoyed the ride

Anyway, where was I?

Oh yes the sound deadening material

I tried several times over the years to get a quilted effect for this stuff, 825's idea of finding a kitchen roll or tissue was always thwarted by the habit of paper producers of embossing swirly lines and flowery shapes and I had been toying with painting all the surfaces with German Grey before I layered some fine diamond mesh in place then spraying Light Gull Grey through the mesh

This was plan A until whilst idly poking through a small box I came across a few pieces of table napkin tissue which has a perfect little meshy bobble shape

Possibly from Tesco cafe one day

(to be fair I do a lot of idly poking around in lost boxes in my garage, rarely does treasure ensue)

A few light layers of Humbrol Grey Primer and what do you think?

825 win!

The sound deadening material is applied in strips and sometimes it comes away from its fastening material (velcro anyone?) so I applied it in strips down the length of the internal panels

P1010272.jpg

rib details are needed for the tail end as is some representative stuff up in the roof

Planning is in hand for what should have been a natural for an etch making giant, but it seem that not even Airwaves bothered with this one

Doh

Anyway there is a need for it as the Italeri one has similarly non-representative innards

Drawing ensues

And I added strips of the same to the cockpit walls, just a little more needed for the doorway walls now

P1010274.jpg

This all photographs as lighter in tone than it really is so I will be spraying the entire padded substances with Light Gull Gray to lighten the interior a bit

Tomorrow

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

(a splendid Devonian Crab called Andy Lovell)

Ask him if he remembers an Aussie Wokka pilot by the name of Darryl Willcocks. I got a few hours in the back with him in the driving seat. He could make the thing dance!

Nice soundproofing that chap.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Getting back, if not into the swing into the gentle rocking motion, I began messing with the bits at the back you can see with an open tail gate

P1140423.jpg

And followed up with some of the inner frameworks

P1010448-1.jpg

Inside the ramp the structure has the framing around the cabin insides and at one point the frames climb up into the pylon and can be seen from the back

As you see here I miscalculated the positioning of a pair of frames

:(

fixing had to be done

More fettling results in adding the large spreader which will eventually have a flat topped shelf added

P1010449-1.jpg

You can also see the hinge points for the ramp's ram, this is made from a deep U section extrusion my local model shop has recently begun stocking.

Brilliant collection of shapes and extrusions including a rectangular box section that has already become one of my favourite 'go to's

Seen here in the guise of a switch panel up in the roof

P1010450-1.jpg

There is going to be a false ceiling with beam plates and a few greeblies tucked away in the pylon then I have to work out SEATS

Cargo seats, all in red

I hope to fake those with paper straps at least (3 straps up, on each seat...yowie) :(

I haven't finished adding to the interior but I am not sure how much to do, probably one minigun for the starboard station  and a M-something or other for the pylon on the tail ramp  and the notorious Granby shelf for anyone who has been following Si's travails in BIG SCALE

I have the basics for that and will add another piece of comms kit to sit on it

(A pair of big boxes as seen in Simmerit's build will at least cut down how many seats I need to make...)

Anyway in other builds

There's a front screen and cyclics and collectives on the way

P1010451-1.jpg

Better pictures of H-19s will appear in more appropriate places

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

This isnt likely to be anyone's masterpiece Rog, too kind mate

I do intend some of the gubbinses you can see inside to be inside so following the images Simmerit puts in his Big Wokka I built a box which will sit at the front not so much as actual detail but just to help draw the eye in towards the front end

It needs refining of course but this is the basic unit, roughly in place

I have also cleared the window spaces ready to knock up some sort of grommit to hold the sound deadening in place at the window holes

P1010456-1.jpg

All for tonight ciao

• Like 12

17 hours ago, andyf117 said:

With a Matchbox kit (though with damaged cockpit glazing) in the stash, along with not one, not two, not three, but four Italeri / Airfix Italeri re-box kits, I'll be following along and taking notes...

Think I can replace that glazing if interested.

Clive

• Thanks 1

I should take him up on that Andy, we always need more Matchboxers coming down the line

And in my line there is a slow creep towards closing this one up, floor is OK and the cupboards stand out well with a coat of Lt Gull Gray on  them. Dark in there innit

P1010467-1.jpg

Back here by the back door we have some semblance of the pylon structure and spaces

P1010461-1.jpg

And here right at the back is the beginnings of the pylon sides and the location of a PSU looking thingy that is being scratch built as we speak

(almost certainly too damned big too, get remeasuring Billy)

With a defining coat of colour on them ready for my next excavations

Ooh look,  excavated

P1010470-1.jpg

Hence a little free hand boxing in gets us to here

P1010472-1.jpg

Which tidies up better as this

P1010473-1.jpg

This is the beginning of the ceiling panelling that will be randomly spread about a bit

Ciao

• Like 11

dang it Bill - you're almost up to Ced-Speed with this build!  I'm gone a couple of days and come back to find you with 3 (or more?) builds and some lovely intricate detail included in the first couple of posts.

32 minutes ago, perdu said:

Back here by the back door we have some semblance of the pylon structure and spaces

P1010461-1.jpg

looks to me like it's more than a semblance.

That quilting is excellent too - just enough of a suggestion of quilting there not to draw the eyes but to let them linger on the larger overall appearance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1