Italeri F15E Strike Eagle

I thought I'd take a break from the endless cycle of filling and priming on my Revell Victor and quickly bring an "easy" kit up to the painting stage then finish it in tandem Big Vic.

So, I grabbed this from the stash.

P1103948.jpg

P1153964.jpg

Just exactly how naïve was that!?

Every single join needs attention. I swear that some of these cheap kits area loss leader to sell filler.

Anyway. It is starting to look like something. I did a bit on the cockpit (the black has been tidied up and the home-brew HUD looks less ghastly) 

P6094860.jpg

and after a fair bit of swearing I'm here.

P7104867.jpg

That'll teach me! Should have done an Airfix Spitfire.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Completing lesser-quality kits builds character. If anything, it's looking great. I tried building this kit in 1996, never finished it, and it put me off Strike Eagles for years. I'm only just finishing another Strike Eagle (this time, the new Academy kit).

There's definitely a reason you don't hear much about the Italeri kits when it comes to 1/72 F-15s. I built the Testors boxing of the C model many moons ago and haven't fogotten the soft detail and mediocre fit. The Strike Eagle is even less accurate, so unless you're just looking to bang together a ceiling hanger it's not one I'd put in the "relaxing" category.

• 3 months later...

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

It's been so long that I've forgotten whether the kit is good or bad, so I'm prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt and after an hour of unblocking the airbrush I finally got something done.

P1020942.jpg

P1020943.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Progress.

Nice one Italeri for supplying the extensive stencils. 

P1030223.jpg

Tried Alclad for the first time and I think it looks OK. Will reserve judgement until I've seen it in day light,

Haven't gone overboard on the weathering because a) This is the prototype, so it would have been kept clean, and b) It would highlight some of the joints that I've spent the last few weeks trying to hide.

• Like 4

Paint finished, but on peeling the mask I discovered that the canopy has fogged.

Is there anything that I can do?

P1030261.jpg

P1030262.jpg

I can get a Vac Form, but it is for a Hasegawa so I don't know if it will fit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233281314463

• Sad 1

Was the canopy attached with super glue IE CA? That may have fogged it. I have and had that happen a few times. I had clear invade the cracks in the white glue joint. So I remasked the canopy frames and gingerly buffed the canopy out inside and out with mild rubbing compound. Now I rub the canopies out before I mask and paint.

I do like your build and have a few new Revell kits in the stash. Keep up the great work.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Time for a Victory Beer™!

P1030264.jpg

P1030265.jpg

P1030266.jpg

Not brilliant when blown up on a monitor, but in the flesh it looks OK. 

Tomorrow I'll add the weapons, but for tonight I've had enough.

Also, whilst panic searching for a spare a canopy I saw that you can get this kit for £9!

• Like 7