Air New Zealand A320 in 1/144 Scale

Here is my A320 1/144 Scale  I’m currently working on. It’s built using the Zvezda Kit, with the extended flaps option. It has been sprayed using a standard Humbrol Gloss Black rattle can. Wings painted using Revell’s standard recommendation of Revell Light Grey 371 and coroguard is Revell 374, with silver leading edges. Engines Revell white gloss. spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Decals from Ascensio are excellent, and includes a white under layer for the decal to show through over the black fuselage.

I much prefer the Zvezda A320 to the Revell one, I like the option for the flaps, and also the Wing mounting goes together with the fuselage a lot neater and easier. 

Will post the finished product to RFI when I get it complete. 

(Apologies for the photograph backgrounds 😩☹️)

• Like 9

Really good looking so far! I love the black scheme

How does this kit compare to the much Revell one in terms of accuracy and fit? You mentioned the options for flaps and that's always nice to have, although typically I leave them up on models for simplicity.

I have a Revell kit sitting on the Shelf of Doom probably condemned to becoming a paint mule eventually. I might have to get one of these as I would like a nice A320 model.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Really good looking so far! I love the black scheme

How does this kit compare to the much Revell one in terms of accuracy and fit? You mentioned the options for flaps and that's always nice to have, although typically I leave them up on models for simplicity.

I have a Revell kit sitting on the Shelf of Doom probably condemned to becoming a paint mule eventually. I might have to get one of these as I would like a nice A320 model.

Thank you. I personally prefer it to the Revell Kit, I find it goes together a lot better (especially the wing box). The plastic is a lot softer. I must admit I wasn’t sure about the flaps for fear of them bang hard or difficult, but I found them to be ok to put together. I’d definitely recommend the Zvezda A320. I hope they release more Civil variants soon, I’d love a good 757 model. Thank you for viewing and commenting 😃. Hopefully your A320 won’t be condemned 👍🏻.

2 minutes ago, Scotsman07 said:

Thank you. I personally prefer it to the Revell Kit, I find it goes together a lot better (especially the wing box). The plastic is a lot softer. I must admit I wasn’t sure about the flaps for fear of them bang hard or difficult, but I found them to be ok to put together. I’d definitely recommend the Zvezda A320. I hope they release more Civil variants soon, I’d love a good 757 model. Thank you for viewing and commenting 😃. Hopefully your A320 won’t be condemned 👍🏻.

I might just replace my A320 with a Zvezda one ..... Probably actually their A321. 

Definitely agree that a new 757 would be awesome. I'd like to see a new Concorde in the scale....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I might just replace my A320 with a Zvezda one ..... Probably actually their A321. 

Definitely agree that a new 757 would be awesome. I'd like to see a new Concorde in the scale....

Sounds like a good plan, another thing I like about the Zvezda A320 is that you don’t have to file down the additional flaptracks like you for the Revell kits. I know it’s only a minor detail but it’s something I quite like, and different landing gear lengths if you go for the configured mode, to reflect the suspension not being applied. Also the kit comes with both CFM and  IAE V2500 engine options as standard (although the instructions only tell you how to make the CFMs it’s quite straight forward to assemble the V2500s if needed)

Hi Alistair,

This is looking good! It's a gorgeous livery and one which would benefit greatly from AA cockpit windows!

I too prefer the Zvezda kit, there's just something crisper and sharper to it. The Revell is simpler which isn't a bad thing but I don't like the nose where as Zvezda have nailed it, in my opinion. I do like the option of dropped flaps too.

On 10/07/2019 at 17:23, Scotsman07 said:

Apologies for the photograph backgrounds 

Don't worry about the background it's what Photobucket plastered all over the foreground that is more worse!

Looking forward to more of your airliners. :D

Cheers,

Ian

8 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alistair,

This is looking good! It's a gorgeous livery and one which would benefit greatly from AA cockpit windows!

I too prefer the Zvezda kit, there's just something crisper and sharper to it. The Revell is simpler which isn't a bad thing but I don't like the nose where as Zvezda have nailed it, in my opinion. I do like the option of dropped flaps too.

Don't worry about the background it's what Photobucket plastered all over the foreground that is more worse!

Looking forward to more of your airliners. :D

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you Ian, I think I will definitely consider the Windows and Cockpit decals from AA (still quite new to modelling again 👍🏻). I know about Photobucket, but not sure how to get rid of it (again a proper amateur 😂). Thank you for looking and for your comment 😃

Alistair