He 219 Uhu Night fighter

Carts

Well found this lurking at the back of a dusty shelf,what better reason to  have a bash than for a group build.

hxsouH.jpg

WEz2O7.jpg

Ancient parchment from  the last century  :)

fp5J6S.jpg

Bag still sealed,although a few pieces off the sprue. 38p price tag .

KBjK0V.jpg

As others have noted,the cockpit area is very bare indeed,will just try to "busy it up" with bits from the spares box,intend to follow the original paint scheme with spurious white cowlings and spinners,this is going to be fun!

Andy

• Like 9

Very unusual boxart on this one, but very effective none the less. It's been a while since I built one, but I do remember being impressed with the size of the thing and its very sleek look. I'll enjoy watching this one come together.

The collectors amongst us will be aware of two box versions, the one shown and another with Gothic lettering used for the HE219 script.

• Like 2

Another one I don't recall from way back when, though I did make a poor attempt at doing the Revell one.

Looking forward to seeing how it comes together.

• Like 2

Hi Andy

Welcome to the Frog Squad GB.

Excellent choice and one I intend to follow as I'm sure I have this in the stash, although goodness only knows where it is !

Good luck with this one

cheers Pat

• Like 2

Ooh! nice find and an older box, too. I built one in the early 70's. I have this one that's sealed in plastic. I bought it at the Alberta Aviation Museum gift shop a number of years ago.

36037804572_8a32844c60_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 5

Hi Andy,

Made one of these yonks ago! I seem to remember using an old blunt felt tip pen to blob the dark grey over the pale blue (Humbrol Authentic - Helblau 65 H.G.5 - I still have it!). Should probably have been something like RLM75 over 76. Best of luck with the build!

Charlie

19 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Ooh! nice find and an older box, too. I built one in the early 70's. I have this one that's sealed in plastic. I bought it at the Alberta Aviation Museum gift shop a number of years ago.

36037804572_8a32844c60_b.jpg

Chris

Hi Chris,its a very unusual bit of box art isnt it ,the glare of the bomb blast and the searchlights in the background,its really very evocative.

12 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Looking forward to this Andy and wishing I'd bought Revell's 1/32 offering when a local store had piles of them for £25!

Got one in the stash,and a built up Tamiya 1/48th scale ,but what started my fasination with the 219 was a built up frog version of the kit that a mates older brother had on his dressing table,Never managed to get one when I was a nipper,but bought the one Im building about 5 years ago on e-bay for a fiver.

4 hours ago, Johnson said:

Hi Andy,

Made one of these yonks ago! I seem to remember using an old blunt felt tip pen to blob the dark grey over the pale blue (Humbrol Authentic - Helblau 65 H.G.5 - I still have it!). Should probably have been something like RLM75 over 76. Best of luck with the build!

Charlie

Would love to see it Charlie,love vintage kits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carts said:

Would love to see it Charlie,love vintage kits

Alas, it met it's fate many years ago. I had some bits in a box, but I can't even find them now! Sorry.

13 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Looking forward to this Andy and wishing I'd bought Revell's 1/32 offering when a local store had piles of them for £25!

And where the blooming heck would you keep it !

The current Mrs SteveJ must be a lot more understanding than the current Mrs Jockney  

• Haha 2

kit-bashed some pars from the spares box to try to create a busier looking cockpit ,mind you you cant get more basic than the supplied item!

6nipxe.jpg

added some plastic card to tidy up the gaping holes,although nothing could be done about the person shaped blobs that pass for the pilots.

j32SW0.jpg

Looks a bit better under the canopy.

XpT6iZ.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Carts,

As the saying goes, here's one I did earlier!

DSC01554

In those days I put the decals directly on to Humbrol Authentic Matt paint and did not varnish them afterwards, so they are very delicate and I cannot wash the model. Also, artificial light makes it a bit yellow but you can see roughly what a badly built model looks like. As I said on my 410 build, I am not good at mottling! I have a Revell one which may or may not be Frogspawn - I suspect it is Revell's own version. Yours will no doubt be a great deal better!

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

I've recently had a go at restoring a built version of this kit, it's proving a tad difficult.

It's an out the box build and it's also where the word tailsitter originated from. I've added lead through the front wheel opening until I could get no more in. At that point I added a bit of white glue with the aim of holding everything in place. I left it inverted while the glue set and had a less than welcome surprise awaiting me when I got back to it. All the glue had run into the cockpit and filled the canopy! I should have seen that one coming really. It was still a tailsitter as well.

The canopy pinged off easily enough and the glue came out without too much of a fight. The restoration is on a back burner until I forget about the whole sorry incident. All a bit of a long winded way of warning you about its rear bias when it comes to display.

Tony.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Tony,

Fortunately mine is on the verge of falling apart so if I decide to restore it I should be able to split the fuselage open to get weight in. I have a set of brass radar aerials for it but will have to make an undercarriage, however having the Revell kit to hand should give me a template. I have plenty of Frog decs for it so it should be a relatively simple project, but not for a while I think as I need to get this GB finished first.

Cheers

Pete

Is that one of those stands that you could screw onto the wall  with the pivoting connector PeterB? I recall back in the mid seventies getting a Dornier "Arrow"  Nightfighter kit with one of those stands ,not seen one for yonks!

Progress on the Uhu

Masking,God,I hate masking ,the Devils fetid bumhole of modelling,a task that appears so simple,yet I never get it right :) maybe this time eh!

Had to replace a rear stabilizer as ,despite my Man cave being a bit on the small side,when my Uhu tried to live up to its manufactuers name,instead of "flying right off the ground",it "nosedived right onto the carpet",off pinged said part,could I find it? I could not.

3a0CjJ.jpg

Despite this,Im really enjoying building a real "Old School" kit.

• Like 9

Hi Carts,

Yes that is one of the fabled Skybase stands with the pivoting head and the slotted hole in the base to mount over a screw on a wall, shelf or whatever. I have a few of the earlier kits which come with them in a variety of sizes, but then Frog stopped doing them - probably cost too much. Also, with heavier kits the ball joint could get a bit slack causing them to flop over - certainly would have been too risky to use with something as big as the Shackleton! I don't do kits with wheels up any more so I have one or two spare unbuilt ones if anybody is desperate for one!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Carts said:

Masking,God,I hate masking ,the Devils fetid bumhole of modelling,

Such eloquent prose to describe an unpleasant chore. :D

The 'Einkel is looking good, maybe I should swap my Dragon one for one of these.

Steve

• Like 1

A wee bit more progress on the Uhu 

All masked(aaarrgh) and primed.

0knb0D.jpg

Given a quick topcoat of dark grey then applied maskol,then a spray of tamiya rattle can  luftwaffe blue(which ironically I bought when i built the Tamiya 219 a fair few years ago)

coWk4x.jpg

As predicted the masking didnt go to well so some brush work will be required.

• Like 5

What does FROG give you to fit in the circular hole on the spine?  Do you get a clear part? 

Better than the old Revell kit, if so.

Nice job, so far.

Regards

Martin