Hobby Craft 1:48 De Havilland Vampire Mk.1

Hello all, herewith my latest RFI - deferred by a week due to holiday commitments.

All in all this was an OK build. The kit is not the best, I will readily admit - there are several online reviews out there and none of them are particularly complimentary, but that was not the purpose when choosing to build this kit. I needed another test kit for my second attempt at applying metal foil to obtain a metal finish. Of course, this particular subject was unusual in that it was built partly of metal, and partly of wood. This introduced some complexities to the build, as indeed did the poorly moulded wings, which when dry-fitted showed a noticeable anhedral geometry. You can indulge your desire to see the details of all this angst by taking a look at the WIP thread here. In fixing the wing geometry, I inadvertently altered the angle of the undercarriage legs so that they splayed outwards - something I regrettably failed to notice until looking at my RFI pics!

I will be honest and say I am not happy with the foiling around the booms - doing them separately before fitting to the wings was not my preferred option, but I felt it was the only thing I could do in order to make everything line up as best i could. I suppose I could have 'cheated' and filled/painted the gap, but no matter. It is what it is, warts and all.

Anyway, here they are:

dnc5YiS.jpg

CBK3AGr.jpg

wAtnKwL.jpg

Ph06BRa.jpg

HsiNz2a.jpg

gslDlsE.jpg

pQJtMSY.jpg

e8WB4E0.jpg

bda0baM.jpg

3w1BzXv.jpg

ZKX9Rth.jpg

MAmr9Vp.jpg

rTAJTIy.jpg

TX7Ymas.jpg

So there we have it, thanks for looking in, and for all the comments on the WIP.

Edited by clive_t
Remove rubbish photo
  • Like 17

Hi Clive,

This is a nice idea to display the bare wood before being doped, had irish linen applied and painted. With bare aluminium too. Modelled to great effect too.

Sorry I've missed your WIP thread as I would have mentioned the nose cone should be all aluminium. You've shown the top removable hatch and underside cannon fairing correctly finished, but the piece in-between is also aluminium too.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Adam and David for your comments. I had to do a bit of guesswork with the nose cone, as the only reference I could find was a YouTube clip of some people in Canada restoring a T.11. The video showed the nose (different shape, obviously) looking like it was entirely of wood apart from the top part and the underside where the wheel well is located. 

Still, I guess it would be a relatively straightforward task to remove the oil paint from that section and foil over it.

3 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Thanks Adam and David for your comments. I had to do a bit of guesswork with the nose cone, as the only reference I could find was a YouTube clip of some people in Canada restoring a T.11. The video showed the nose (different shape, obviously) looking like it was entirely of wood apart from the top part and the underside where the wheel well is located. 

Still, I guess it would be a relatively straightforward task to remove the oil paint from that section and foil over it.

Hi Clive,

For the T.11 that is correct. It seems like that was the only one that de Havilland did like that though.

I didn't want to give you extra work, but if someone uses your thread for future modelling reference having it correct will benefit all.

• Thanks 1

Thanks David, I need to reduce the splayed look on the undercarriage legs anyway so I may as well go the whole hog and put that right as well. It'll have to wait a day or so while real life intervenes, unfortunately.

On 7/17/2019 at 7:56 PM, azureglo said:

Naked , fnarr fnarr, like dude I can its see its plywood nads...huh-huh-huh...Good result but next time give it the full shoe shine!

Anil

Worst Butthead impression ever... rivalled only by my own of Beavis: "Uuuuuuh... uhuhhh" :D

On 7/17/2019 at 8:15 PM, stevej60 said:

I like it Clive! Good old British engineering plywood and metal.

Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

I managed to revisit this model yesterday, and with a bit of careful scraping away of dried oil paint, some judicious application of a small amount of foil - not to mention some remedial surgery on the undercarriage legs to straighten them up - I now have it as I believe it should have looked!

W4wQ9Uf.jpg

uATs4k4.jpg

Thanks for looking (again!) :)

PS Thanks to @David A Collins for the feedback about the metallic nose cone :thumbsup2:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, clive_t said:

Worst Butthead impression ever... rivalled only by my own of Beavis: "Uuuuuuh... uhuhhh" :D

I managed to revisit this model yesterday, and with a bit of careful scraping away of dried oil paint, some judicious application of a small amount of foil - not to mention some remedial surgery on the undercarriage legs to straighten them up - I now have it as I believe it should have looked!

Now this is  how ye spruce up a Vampy...

T11.jpg&key=cd33025b81262d99b975502cb2bb

Looky, me with hair and no real ale drinkers beard!

Anil

1 hour ago, azureglo said:

Looky, me with hair and no real ale drinkers beard!

Anil

You can't fool me, that's your stunt double! :D

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2019 at 11:43 AM, clive_t said:

W4wQ9Uf.jpg

uATs4k4.jpg

Thanks for looking (again!) :)

PS Thanks to @David A Collins for the feedback about the metallic nose cone :thumbsup2:

Nicely finished Clive.

• Thanks 1