American Airlines 777-300 (New Scheme) in 1/144 Scale

Here is my completed American Airlines 777-300 1/44 scale using the Revell Kit, displayed in the new livery This colour stressed me out for so long, and I kept mixing it until I found a colour that I was happy with taking into account various photos of the real thing under different lighting conditions. Interesting to know your thoughts?

The paint mix I went for was mixing Revell light grey 371, Revell white gloss 04 and a touch of Revell Silver 90. It was a case of keep mixing until I found a shade I was most happy with. Wings and stabs are Revell 371. Was then clear coated several times with Humbrol Clear, and then finally glossed once the decals had been applied. 

Thank you for looking and as always any feedback is much appreciated.

Alistair

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Scotsman07
  • Like 16

That's a lovely model.  The colours look good to me, although as a traditionalist I prefer the bare metal scheme.

In fact, looking back at the pictures, that really is very very nice.

Good work.

• Thanks 1

By the sheerest of sheer coincidences I'm in the final stages if completing my 1/200 Hasegawa 773 in these very colours. I mixed up Humbrol 127 (it may have been 128 - it was the lighter of the two) with Revell 90 silver. Apart from a rough finish which has been tamed by numerous coats of varnish, the end result is really similar to yours. I'm happy with mine and I think yours looks spot on too!!

20190321-174357.jpg

Great looking model, thanks for sharing.

Jeff

(If my picture is a hijack, I'll happily remove it. This is a couple of months ago, now it just needs it's doors and engines attached and it's done)

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Scotsman07 said:

Here is my completed American Airlines 777-300 in the new livery. This colour stressed me out for so long, and I kept mixing until I found a colour that I was happy with taking into account various photos of the real thing under different lighting conditions. Interesting to know your thoughts?

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

53 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

That's a lovely model.  The colours look good to me, although as a traditionalist I prefer the bare metal scheme.

In fact, looking back at the pictures, that really is very very nice.

Good work.

Thank you, I must admit I did like the old scheme. I believe that it was the introduction of the 787 that resulted in the scheme change, as it’s made of composite materials. I could be completely wrong though. Thank you again 😃

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

By the sheerest of sheer coincidences I'm in the final stages if completing my 1/200 Hasegawa 773 in these very colours. I mixed up Humbrol 127 (it may have been 128 - it was the lighter of the two) with Revell 90 silver. Apart from a rough finish which has been tamed by numerous coats of varnish, the end result is really similar to yours. I'm happy with mine and I think yours looks spot on too!!

20190321-174357.jpg

Great looking model, thanks for sharing.

Jeff

(If my picture is a hijack, I'll happily remove it. This is a couple of months ago, now it just needs it's doors and engines attached and it's done)

Thank you 😃. That’s a cracking looking model, and the colour looks perfect 👍🏻. It’s such a difficult one to match, and I think it’s just a case of mixing until you find a shade you’re happy with. I wish I had been more patient and filled in the relevant windows on the fuselage 😩. Good luck with the rest of your build 👍🏻.

35 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice work on the AA 773. :thumbsup:

I have the kit and decals to do in this scheme as well.

So Jeff mentioned his colour mix, do you recall yours SM7?

Thank you 😃. It is a pain to get the right shade, I made a mix of Revell gloss white with Revell 371 and a touch of Revell Silver 90. It was a case of mixing until I found the colour I was most happy with. The decals from DrawDecal are amazing.  

• Like 1

Very nice indeed. Well done and welcome to the Britmodeller airliner fraternity. The more airliners the better!

I might just be missing it but I don't see any reference to which kit you used or what scale the model is. Can I suggest you amend the thread title to include a little more information, particularly the scale - "American Airlines 777-300 (New Scheme) in 1/*** scale" or something like that and maybe add a tag for the kit? 

Dave G

• Like 1

The 777 is a beautiful Aircraft and the livery makes it even more attraktive. I think the Colour You used is spot on.! Thank You for sharing your build with us.

May I suggest to use a more neutral base and Background? I.e. some white or grey carton. Your model will surely benefit from the missing distraction.

cheers,

Norbert

• Like 1