Walrus L2307 278 sqn

plasticmasher

Hi all. I have a record of L2307, a 278 sqn Walrus detached at Martlesham Heath. It stalled in on approach and was destroyed, (no knowledge of the fate of the crew).

278 Spitfires (MY coded) are photographed in colour with yellow squadron codes, would the shagbat be similar, or red as with BA coded machines seen on decal sheets?

Scratching my head here.....

I think it's going to depend on the date as AMO A.664 of 2nd July 1942 states red code letters for ASR aircraft but yellow appears to be common later on. I should be able to find definite information about yellow but it's eluding me at the moment, sorry.

Edit - There is a photo of BA.D in the Warpaint where red is a reasonable interpretation of the codes and it is dated as 1944.

Edited by rossm
More information

7 hours ago, rossm said:

I think it's going to depend on the date as AMO A.664 of 2nd July 1942 states red code letters for ASR aircraft but yellow appears to be common later on. I should be able to find definite information about yellow but it's eluding me at the moment, sorry.

There are a couple of sequences of colour photos of ASR Walruses, taken I suspect by Americans in the Med intrigued to see such things still flying.  There's one sequence of a Walrus bearing red code S on nose and ROYAL NAVY titles on rear fuselage (though I suspect it is actually RAF): serial illegible and code, if any, invisible, to me at least.  One of my sources (can't remember which) places the sequence as "Korba, Cape Bon, Tunisia, 1943".  The other sequence is of W2757 ZE-O, taken I think late in the war in Italy.  Codes Yellow.  These back up Ross' and Edgar's info re dates and colours.   I expect both can be readily found by a Google image search.

Edited by Seahawk