Soviet Mi-24 p hind

Hewy

Hi Glynn. I'm afraid I’m a bit late arriving at this GB but it looks like you are well on the road to finishing your rather excellent Hind. And it looks superb by the way. Very nicely done!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

No worries stix ,thanks pal, I'm  afraid its going to take a while longer while fettling the paint ,i had a bit of a mishap, and because i couldn't  leave it be, it went a bit belly up ,during the repair I've flippin well lifted a couple of decals with the masking tape🤬

Still as mrs hewy says, "its only a model"

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Hewy said:

,during the repair I've flippin well lifted a couple of decals with the masking tape🤬

They just don't understand mate, I feel your pain Hewy ;)

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Hewy said:

You mean the future ex-Mrs Hewy? Thats a more controversial statement than even Trump has come out with in a while!

Very sorry to hear that things have gone backwards a bit Glynn, take your time mate as there is no rush, we have plenty of time left. If you need any spare decals then let me know as I may well have some that will suit.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Oh bugger, when i  mess it up  i really do, this is where I've  messed it up to , for all to see 

ready for repairs, not bad i actually like it like this pattern  ,damage apart ,

YC4WKKZ.jpg

GVGmOUA.jpg

And below ,due to the wash and gloss it changed the original colour  and eradicated all my pre and post shading and  lightening ,one thing led to another and #**@# what a pickle i was seconds away from taking  ipa soaked  kitchen roll to it ( still am) but I'm  going to see if oils can bring it back first, hence no stars and numbers yet, its glossed so i can have a couple  of go's at the oils

not a bit but a lot dark , can i rescue it without another repaint ? God only knows,

Slight pattern change too🤯 due to the fact i lost the bort numbers and I've  semi identified another afghanistan stationed  hind , the ameoba is more tight, 

Really,  advice (help)  is most welcome  

PQQADWa.jpg

u2Y6EiD.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Oh dear Glynn, not really sure what to suggest. Do you think that it will get any lighter when you apply the matt varnish? I'm not sure how the oils will work as I've never used them myself but I have seen models where they have made a difference.

As I said earlier, if you need any stars or bort numbers I'm sure I can find something that can help you out.

I see you've invested in another Tamiya P-47, can't blame you for that one.

15 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Oh dear Glynn, not really sure what to suggest. Do you think that it will get any lighter when you apply the matt varnish? I'm not sure how the oils will work as I've never used them myself but I have seen models where they have made a difference.

As I said earlier, if you need any stars or bort numbers I'm sure I can find something that can help you out.

I see you've invested in another Tamiya P-47, can't blame you for that one.

Thanks for the offer of decals ,again , I will finish it craig but it may not be gallery bound the my choices are  limited without a total repaint , even taking into account of the pictures you sent me ,i have some thinking to do ,they dont all work out do they ? Crazy the hip took about 4 - days  , one of the most pleasurable builds I've  done ,  The p47, and some decals  ,yes a shining light amongst blunders , the jury is well and  truly out atm craig , I'll  make my decision in the morning atm the ipa soaked  rag awaits , i think I've reluctantly   accepted it

16 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Thanks for the offer of decals ,again , I will finish it craig but it may not be gallery bound the my choices are  limited without a total repaint , even taking into account of the pictures you sent me ,i have some thinking to do ,they dont all work out do they ? Crazy the hip took about 4 - days  , one of the most pleasurable builds I've  done ,  The p47, and some decals  ,yes a shining light amongst blunders , the jury is well and  truly out atm craig , I'll  make my decision in the morning atm the ipa soaked  rag awaits , i think I've reluctantly   accepted it

It will be a real shame if you have to re-paint her Glynn, but I know what you mean, sometimes tinkering is not enough to make you happy with the result. At least there is plenty of time left in the GB.

Good luck, whichever route you choose to go down.

• Thanks 1

oh dear I have missed most of this build between visits, you've done some really nice work her even with the few issues you've had.

With the paint changing colour with the gloss, I would get too worried about that for the moment, gloss coats can really mess up colours and hide all those nice effects.

I've had this happen the the Typhoon I'm building, before gloss coat, nice subtle panelling.......

IMG_3306-S.jpg

....now less so (I sort of knew that would happen so I slightly over did it in the first place) and the colours have all change!

IMG_3316-S.jpg

But you'll find a flat coat will pretty much restore the colours to the original. You may loose a little bit of the subtly but you should still be able to see it. If all else fails mist some super thinned flat white over her, or if you're felling really adventurous go a wee bit heavy with some MRP Flat Lacquer, you spray it till it just about gets a white finish to it......as said it's right on the edge of disaster but gives an amazing faded/sun bleached finish.

You should be able to find some suitable decals in your spares box?? You maybe able to get some generic Soviet ones as there is by the looks of it a huge variation in size/colours/style.

Here's a link to some awesome photos of Hinds using the Yandex.ru search engine. Not the easiest as at first you need to navigate the Russian menu, but later on if you're using Chrome it'll auto translate. It's really worth a looks as I've found so much more here than I'd ever find using Google. Your scheme is about 7 rows down.

https://yandex.ru/images/search?from=tabbar&text=mi-24p

So press on you'll get there and it's going to look awesome!

On 8/4/2019 at 1:06 AM, modelling minion said:

I do like the sound of either a 1/35 Hip or Hind, plenty of scope for detailing with them and they should keep you busy until at least Christmas, personally I think I would go with the Hip. Never understood why Trumpeter didn't down scale these beauties to 1/48, I'm sure they would be very popular.

Strangely enough I have one of these monsters, the Trumpy Mi-24V and being me I already have a :poop:load of extras to go with her (inc Tiger Meet Masks! ........well ok pretty well everything that is available. :D  Unfortunately the resin cockpit/cargo bay is no longer available!

• Like 1

Good case in point with your typhoon , looks great btw, Thanks @trickyrich ,thats a great collection of hinds ,  so varied ,I'm  going to give it a shot with a flat coat,and those methods you mentioned, I'll  redecal it this week ,nothing to lose i suppose

with the flat, just carefully apply the layers, slowly building up until you just see it start to go a wee bit cloudy, stop then, that's the limit. Past that and it'll go weird/funny. You can recover from that by just polishing the the surface once it's had a good time to dry so you really can't ruin it, just make extra work for yourself!

Practise on some scrap bit first. Once you've started you'll see what I mean. It can give you so cool effects, really nice on AFV's.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

😁, sorry chaps, first day back actual modelling today ,I've  had a nasty chest infection that wasn't  helped by glue and paint fumes, plus the fact that i couldnt lie down to sleep so I've spent the last 10 days sleeping upright downstairs in my chair feeling sorry for myself,  still i got to watch loads of war documentarys in the early hours ,mrs hewy didn't  mind as she was starfish shaped in the marital bed sleeping soundly ,  sorry to say the hind is still in its glossed state being looked over right now

• Like 1

Wasn't sure whether to "like" that post or not, really sorry to hear that you have been so unwell. Well aware what lack of sleep can do to you, its why its used as torture and why they make me do crappy shifts. At least Mrs. Hewy has been able to get a good nights sleep.

At least the Hind hasn't come to grief against the wall.

• Haha 1

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, well sort of ,this  is paint job  mk3 ,not as good as mk1, but much better than mk2, lifted one of the yellow danger arrows at the rear with masking tape but it can be sorted ,glossed and ready for decals,also a return to the original ameoba pattern of mk1 and a slightly bluer bottom (ahem)

2wILkfz.jpg

rTAlleq.jpg

zT0zBz0.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...