Soviet Mi-24 p hind

Hewy

9A big thanks to @Hook for a couple of links for colours and schemes,

I've done the undersides in pale blue , and the main coat in light grey green, and lightend a bit here and there ,the amoeba pattern is going to be mr hobby field green grey ,I've  got to get this over the weekend from my local model shop ( no doubt I'll come away a lot worse of than  the cost of a pot of paint)

This is the hinds current state

Thanks

Glynn

8IIE012.jpg

dGvvN2E.jpg

gkNuggW.jpg

cAVL9LY.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks andre, i am a big fan of pre shading ,probably because I'm not too good at weathering ,my lessons learned for this was , 1 i shouldn't have attached the wings till after the paint, they fit into a recess so a join wouldnt have been an issue,

And 2 i should have painted the undersides after the top coat,i think it would have made masking a bit easier,also  being a heavy handed sod I've broken off a rear stab and some spine mounted airels /probes, nothing that cant be mended though 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

She looks excellent Glynn, I really like how the pre-shading has made the base coat look.

The colour looks spot on to me.

I'm sure Mike will be very pleased to see you and your wallet :) .

Thanks craig As it happens  ,i do have a suitable kit for the" year you was born gb" already in the stash, ( 1967 six day war) so depending on how much i get done on this and my little bedford truck in the d-day build over the weekend i may enter ,

So  it'll  be a free hand in Mike's who knows what I'll come away with 😋,he did have a 35th hind  and a  hip last time i went 🤔 i fancy doing something large, time consuming,  and involving to take me up to christmas as a side build

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Hewy said:

Thanks craig As it happens  ,i do have a suitable kit for the" year you was born gb" already in the stash, ( 1967 six day war) so depending on how much i get done on this and my little bedford truck in the d-day build over the weekend i may enter ,

So  it'll  be a free hand in Mike's who knows what I'll come away with 😋,he did have a 35th hind  and a  hip last time i went 🤔 i fancy doing something large, time consuming,  and involving to take me up to christmas as a side build

Funnily enough I've been thinking along the Arab/Israeli line for my potential entry for the "year you were born GB", they were still kicking the c*** out of each other in 1970 and I think I've found something that will fit the bill.

I do like the sound of either a 1/35 Hip or Hind, plenty of scope for detailing with them and they should keep you busy until at least Christmas, personally I think I would go with the Hip. Never understood why Trumpeter didn't down scale these beauties to 1/48, I'm sure they would be very popular.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

1/48, I'm sure they would be very popular

Hopefully annetra will release the 48th hip soon, from the look of that it should be good, I'm  going over in the morning so I'll report back, btw the year you were born , an israeli mirage iii c its a hobby boss kit ,  it'll be my first 48th aircraft this year , but only if i get time

24 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Lovely job on the paint so far mate, it’s going to look fantastic :thumbsup:

Regards

Dan 

Thanks dan,i appreciate it pal, I'm quite getting used to 72nd scale helicopters although that new kittyhawk  1/35 MH-60 L really does look good, as i said to craig earlier I'm looking for a longer term build to see the year out ,and I'll fit in a couple of stress free 72nds in between,any thoughts and views are most welcome dan ,I'm  spoilt for choice

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Hopefully annetra will release the 48th hip soon, from the look of that it should be good, I'm  going over in the morning so I'll report back, btw the year you were born , an israeli mirage iii c its a hobby boss kit ,  it'll be my first 48th aircraft this year , but only if i get time

It's a good job they build real Mi-8's quicker than Annetra can do a 1/48 model, it's been on the cards for years now. It's very much on my wants list but might prove a tad expensive.

I do have a Hobby Boss Mirage IIIC but it is nearly built so no good for the GB so I was thinking of a Soviet flown Mig-21 from Operation Kavkaz but I need to source decals from somewhere. My fall back option is an Airfix CH-53 from the Son Tay prison raid, I've already got decals for it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

an Airfix CH-53 from the Son Tay prison raid, I've already got decals for it.

Sounds good to me, mind the mig 21 sounds good too

• Like 1

I'm  really hoping for feedback here from anyone with an interest in soviet  aircraft who can judge my camo job , its a work in progress and it can change , any pointers gratefully received ,i did this freehand without masks, is too amoeba

8K7Itf8.jpg

nz5E0p4.jpg

• Like 5

Glynn that looks awesome!

Can't believe you did that freehand, it is fantastic.

It certainly looks like the Soviet camo to me, and if you look at those pics I sent you earlier you will see that there is quite a variety of the schemes used a lot of which have even more slight variations.

• Thanks 1

Thank fellas ,

I only use chinese cheepo airbrushes i have several  but the 0.2 needle one with an adjustable air screw underneath the cup seems to work nice and tight  for freehand camo,i do have to keep it extra clean though, 

i did some fine tuning after it got the seal of approval, thats good enough for me, next I'll  repair the sausage fingers damage and gloss it up ready for decals white 05 and then on to the fun part" weathering"

• Like 2

Not a lot done today  apart from a waft of gloss ,but a trip to the lms was slightly productive,  i was within a whisker of coming away with an  italeri 1/35 vosper , I'm  going to give myself a week or so to ponder over its purchase,but it'll be to build and savour  not file away, if i buy it,

But i couldn't  help but carry on an ongoing helicopter theme and walked out of the shop with this pair,theres a couple of nice schemes in the sycamore kit, the one on the box lid , and a bmf with a fetching  luminous orange cab, mmm loud

WOpA85D.jpg

• Like 3

A good haul from your visit Glynn, I bet Mike was pleased.

I've got one of the earlier Sikorsky boxings of the Dragonfly, a very nice kit indeed. I like the look of the Sycamore but didn't fancy any of the schemes in the previous boxing but I do like the RAF one on the box top and I like the sound of the orange and BMF one, I assume that's the German one.

On 04/08/2019 at 21:39, modelling minion said:

A good haul from your visit Glynn, I bet Mike was pleased.

I've got one of the earlier Sikorsky boxings of the Dragonfly, a very nice kit indeed. I like the look of the Sycamore but didn't fancy any of the schemes in the previous boxing but I do like the RAF one on the box top and I like the sound of the orange and BMF one, I assume that's the German one.

Sorry for the late reply craig, there are 2 siver and orange schemes in the sycamore  box, one west german , and in my opinion the better one, an raf example

Just a quick  update, decals are on and I've given it a bit of a  panel line wash, hope to complete it over the weekend, cheers

Glynn

xr3xiQQ.jpg

LSUuOGL.jpg

• Like 7

Cheers craig, unfortunatly the stars dont stand out as much atm, a slight repaint and a case of  trying to make the best job of a bit of a whoopsi,completely  my doing ,trying to over fettle the paint finish, you live and learn, should finish it tomorrow, (in a fashion)

• Like 1