Soviet Mi-24 p hind

Hewy

I'm  going to build the mi-24 p /f  hind in 72nd , it will be a soviet version from the afganistan conflict,and I'll  be building it in tandem  with my  mi-17  in another thread in this gb, i have a choice of markings , but not from 1 decal sheet in particular ,a little research was needed because the kit markings didn't fit with the gb time frame ,and i had no luck searching for after market decals for a soviet 24p/f in Afghanistan, but @modelling minion, craig came to the rescue once again with some wonderfull reference pictures ,  from one of his books, I'll choose the markings  later ,its the 1/72 zvezda mi- 24 p hind kit I'll be using, it's a well reviewd little kit and looks really nice on the sprues ,the box lSITEWh.jpg

• Like 8

This really is a great choice, can't really have a GB covering the area and time of the Soviet Afghan involvement without having a Hind in it can we.

This kit is supposed to be the best out there in any scale and it certainly looks nice from pictures I've seen of it.

Talking of the bort numbers I've got a Begemot sheet for the Ka-27 which has a load of different numbers in different colours so if you need any you know where to find me :) .

Really looking forward to this one Glynn.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've  got the hind under way,  its a very comprehensive kit for 72nd scale with options to have the engines, 1 or both showing ,the rotor gearbox doors open and the cabin doors open I'm  going for one side closed up and all open on the other side, there is a bit of flash on some parts that needs sorting but other than that it really is a very nice kit,with a lot of parts for 72nd

I've  added some stretched sprue to busy the engine up that'll be showing,and got the fuselage together, the cockpit and everything else is oob kit decals for the cockpit zvezda supply 2 nicley molded pilots,I'm  in 2 minds whether to put them in or not atm, how it stands at present, 

sYCGvvC.jpg

5jAqFK5.jpg

sZ42G8D.jpg

• Like 8

Cheers craig, bit of eduard stuff wouldnt have gone amiss , but like you say its acceptable in 72nd , I may put one little  fella in the front,and leave the rear empty with the door open, I'll  have to concoct some seat belts though 

• Like 1

On 21/07/2019 at 20:58, modelling minion said:

Forgot to mention that my Hind landed yesterday, LOADS of whizz bangs with it.

Might save it for this GB though;

What do you think? :) 

I've just got back from a little holiday on the south coast  craig where a good internet connection has been flakey at best, yes looks a great idea ,undoubtedly I'll be putting my name forward for this too , I'll have to think of something a bit special for this one

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

I've just got back from a little holiday on the south coast  craig where a good internet connection has been flakey at best, yes looks a great idea ,undoubtedly I'll be putting my name forward for this too , I'll have to think of something a bit special for this one

Hope you had a good break mate, certainly had the weather for it.

Sure you will come up with something spectacular for the GB.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

Hope you had a good break mate, certainly had the weather for it.

Sure you will come up with something spectacular for the GB.

Cheers craig ,Not as hot as up here but still early 20s  but thats good enough for us 

Its going to take some pondering for sure but theres plenty of time, top of my head ,hanging from the ceiling in the toy room (mrs hewys words not mine) a trumpeter 1/72 tu-95  bear  , maybe?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hewy said:

If i do, red stars for sure ,saw the build on  florys site a bit back, its a big bugger

She certainly is a big beast, both in plastic and real life.

I remember when the Russians sent one over to Fairford when we were friends, she looked like a giant insect on that stalky undercarriage, now they just send them over to give the Typhoons something to do.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

now they just send them over to give the Typhoons something to do.

Fair play to the ruskies ,they're good like that,our boys would probably get bored else

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

She certainly is a big beast, both in plastic and real life.

I remember when the Russians sent one over to Fairford when we were friends, she looked like a giant insect on that stalky undercarriage, now they just send them over to give the Typhoons something to do.

They do the same here for the Alaskan F-22's 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

They do the same here for the Alaskan F-22's 

Nice jets I'm gathering bits and bobs atm for a 48th academy kit for a future project

• Like 2

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice jets indeed.

I'm sure your Academy build will be another stunner Glynn, I think it's supposed to be a nice kit too.

Hi craig ,Apparently some say the under fuselage section at the cockpit to nose is a tad  too deep but to me its not that much of a  problem , it looks very much like an f22 dry built which I've done, big beast , fits nice too , I'm  resin gathering atm

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Ah, another fatally flawed kit then!

Bet it actually looks like an F-22 

Baahh,  when its on the air supremacy shelf no one will know (not even me) 😋

• Haha 1

The hind is nearly built up  ,a few tiny bits and bobs to go, and then an almighty clean up,and  just a touch of filler here and there ,

I've attempted to create  some seatbelts from sliced up tamiya tape,

Paint soon i hope, dont know what its properly called but a clover leaf type camo,it looks to be similar colours to the mi-17 hip i did earlier, a bit more research on that, and white 05 markings 

9wNHr81.jpg

ApBZN3b.jpg

Y4JuI7v.jpg

lbLR5xx.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/28/2019 at 7:29 PM, Hewy said:

dont know what its properly called but a clover leaf type camo,it looks to be similar colours to the mi-17 hip i did earlier, 

The Soviets called it the " amoeba" scheme, AFAIK.

Great work so far!

Cheers,

Andre

7 hours ago, Hook said:

The Soviets called it the " amoeba" scheme, AFAIK.

Great work so far!

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks for  that  andre, I'm  on the painting now and have just finished the under sides in pale blue, i shall mask up  this evening  and then i have to work out the colours  to use on the top,i am going to do the "ameoba" scheme though,  i use tamiya an mr colour  paints so any  more pointers will be well recieved

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

i use tamiya an mr colour  paints so any  more pointers will be well recieved

Does this help?, the link to the Eduard instructions (with Gunze paints specified) includes a Soviet example.

Another post down is a link to the instructions of the lovely Begemot sheet with colour callouts as well.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1