This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Will Vale

Adeptus Titanicus (Giant Stompy Battle Robots)

Hi all,

I've made and painted some of the knights from GW's Adeptus Titanicus range and posted my doings on here earlier in the year. While I haven't started painting a Titan yet, I have built some:

30856392138_3a4bac740c_b.jpg
43069508030_b16c5443c3_b.jpg

Unusually for me I've actually played a game of the new Titanicus rules too! Our local GW was running demos and my daughter and I had a go. It's pretty good, the big titans feel very ponderous and there's a lot of raising shields, cooling the reactor etc. Like submarine warfare with legs. It was very easy to find yourself making the relevant noises which is probably a good sign. Bad sign? Not sure!

Anyway, I was lucky enough to pick up the big box of modular building parts half price a few months ago, and I've since acquired the set of spires they brought out afterwards. After some playing around and some smaller buildings I came up with the following:

48244507687_e3547219f5_b.jpg

48244508177_4c0bb5066a_b.jpg

The lower part of the building is from the Civitas Imperialis modular sprues, and the upper part is mostly the spires. I bashed some of the roof pieces into landing pads and used flying buttresses to add "princess towers" to get a silhouette that looks a bit more like some of the old Hive City illustrations from e.g. the Necromunda rulebook.

There are a few additional parts from N-scale Green Max kits (ladders, pipes) and my stash of sacrificial Trumpeter bits (antenna and some other small details). Held together with scraps of styrene where necessary.

I'm not quite sure how to paint it, but I guess I want to match the feel of the Knight bases, so a slightly overgrown look?

33480332978_f836976163_b.jpg

Having an excuse to add some green flock is a) always welcome and b) very handy for hiding joins, but I don't know if the Imperium will stand for it?

Cheers,

Will

Finished up another couple of buildings - I built these a while ago but have added the spires and details today.

48246181651_7252010e2d_b.jpg

The big one is a temple (probably) and the small one I'm not sure - maybe a school or light industry?

48246181256_d392678042_b.jpg

The roof tank is a Stryker wheel (maybe a bit obviously so) plus some other bits and a sprue corner for the angled pipe.

Cheers,

Will

The buildings are looking great. I don't think the Stryker wheel will be noticeable (as a wheel) once it's painted and weathered.

Andy:cat:

This is all new to me but I like it. 

Looking forward to the paint.

Thanks all, haven't quite started painting yet but I have primed them. I was going to use GW's new Wraithbone primer (cream colour) but couldn't get any so settled on an old can of Tamiya Red Oxide. Which really is lovely stuff - this is the result of two medium coats in a cardboard box in the garden on a windy day:

48254394156_619627947b_b.jpg

It almost looks like a render! I did take the time to add a few extra details to the big building, and washed everything with a toothbrush and soapy water so it was in a good state to being with, but I'm still pleased at how clean it looks.

That said, the joins on the tallest spire will need putty, and there are a few spots on some of the corners which could do with attention, as well as the balustrade joins. Still, not bad.

I'm not sure what colour now - I was thinking creamy sandstone but now I see the red I keep thinking about Liverpool cathedral - maybe that warm pink would be interesting? It needs to look OK against a ruddy brown ground colour as shown above, but the buildings will have roads and things as a buffer between them and ground in most cases.

Cheers,

Will

Will, 

That looks impressive. I quite like that colour on them. It reminds me of an old painting of Hades or something.

Do you have any spare pieces to experiment on? Perhaps a dark grey wash and some detail painting on the pipes etc?

Keep them coming.

Pete