Sukhoi P-42 (П-42, T10-15) "Record Aircraft"

As I am a model enthusiast, I cannot live without thinking a new project even at see side in vacation house for summer break.

The only material here I have is my laptop. But it is sufficient to make drawings of any future project. I have already done the drawings of one of my near future project namely Su-27LL which can be found here. The another one will be "Record Aircraft" P-42.

At the beginning I have underestimated how this aircraft could be difficult to finish. In terms of kit modifications this is really easy task. But finishing is really a big challenge (most probably a nightmare).

Here below the 3 view drawings I did based on available pictures. The panels after paint removal has different shades of aluminum as well as green primary coating.

su-p-42-t-10-15-record-aircraft.jpg

I thought I can use one of Revell/Zvezda Su-27SM for this conversion but due to significant effect of rivets most probably I will go with Trumpeter early Su-27 kit.

Any recommendations or comments about drawings and kit selection are welcome.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 7

Nice one Serkan - always good to see more Flankers.

I made the P-42 (Pobed [Victory] 1942) many years ago using the old Airfix Su-27 kit....

spacer.png

I used variuos shades of gold paint and hand-painted the silver stripes to represent the sealed joints - the biggest problem was removing the IRST ball from the windscreen and making the nosewheel without the FOD guard!

spacer.png

Note the red tape on the canopy to give the pilot the optimum angle of attack for the climb.....

spacer.png

I took these photo of the real thing on a rainy day at Zhukovsky in 2004.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I tried to get round the back - but the young conscript guarding the P-42 wouldn't let me - so this is tthe best I could do......

spacer.png

Good luck with your model - and ....... Happy Flankering

Ken

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Good luck with your model - and ....... Happy Flankering

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks lot for the great reference pictures and sharing your nicely built P-42. As the master of Flanker have you seen my other Flanker projects posted in this forum? I will be very happy if I get your valuable comments/feedback on them.

I have found some more pictures Su-27FlankerFamily website. It seems to me that the NLG and MLG doors have same colors as the landing gear struts rather than metallic. Do you agree? Or they are all in matt aluminum?

sukhoi-p-42-19.jpg?w=1200&h=

sukhoi-p-42-25.jpg?w=1200&h=

also some additional pictures that show top and rear details (as you have replied 7 years ago) from "www.arcforums.com":

26cc9c2d87d8.jpg

c94cd0e7099a.jpg

22883d3e7ffe.jpg

I hope I can share the links of above pictures. If this is against any policy or rules please let me know to remove them from my post.

Serkan

• Like 9

No, it was a stripped-down production Flanker done specially for an attempt at the various time-to-height records set previously by the USAF F-15 'Streak Eagle'

It took 27 records in various categories - taking all the Streak Eagles records.

It was named P-42 for the battle of Stalingrad in 1942 (P for 'Pobed' [Victory], 42 for 1942)

There's a list of the P-42's records down the page here :- https://su-27.com/info/records/

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finally, good pictures of the rear of P-42! I've never found any.

I made this a long time ago and have been wanting to replace the Academy nose with a better one and redo the paintwork, looks like I can finally get rid of the brick of a tail I added.

Any ideas where it was tethered to the AFV?

HKfzZrW.jpgAc8COzF.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, paulsbrown said:

Nice P-42 Paul....:thumbsup:

I have a photo (scanned from a Japanese mag, IIRC) showing the shackle on the underside.

It looks like it is at the rear of the aftmost missile pylon on the rear centreline.

Ken

2 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

I won't be able to see your shared pics till I will be back in Germany hence "imgur.com" was blocked in my home country (don't ask me why 😞 )

Serkan

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

By the way, what AFV stands for?

Armoured Fighting Vehicle - basically a tank or heavy armoured vehicle.

Would sure love to see that photo.

With apologies to whoever owns the original.......

spacer.png

From Yefim Gordon's revised/updated Su-27 book.........

"During time-to-height record flights the time count starts at the moment of brake release and the standard brakes and tyres could not hold the aircraft motionless at maximum thrust.

The OKB used the same solution as the Americans had with the Streak Eagle: (where) the aircraft was attached by a strong cable to an 'anchor' fixed on the runway.

To this end, a BTS-4G Armoured Recovery Vehicle, based on the T-55 Main Battle Tank was loaned from the Soviet Army and fitted with a massive jet blast shield.........

After the pilot had engaged full afterburner, a test engineer pushed a button, releasing a remote control to disconnect the cable and switching on the cine cameras and chronometers at the same time.

Tests began in March 1986; for fear of the cable rebounding, the test engineers conducted a series of engine runs with gradually increasing thrust.

They were in for a surprise; when maximum after-burning thrust was reached, the P-42 actually dragged the BTS-4G 1.5m (five feet) along the runway until the engineer regained his wits and released the cable.

To remedy this, the vehicle was weighed down with lead slabs and a Komatsu bulldozer was hooked up for good measure.

The first, unofficial record-breaking flight was made in July 1986."

Ken

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Flankerman said:

To this end, a BTS-4G Armoured Recovery Vehicle, based on the T-55 Main Battle Tank was loaned from the Soviet Army and fitted with a massive jet blast shield....

To remedy this, the vehicle was weighed down with lead slabs and a Komatsu bulldozer was hooked up for good measure.

891.jpg

892.jpg

893.jpg

Now I know why an AFV was needed... 🙂

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/07/2019 at 23:04, Flankerman said:

No, it was a stripped-down production Flanker done specially for an attempt at the various time-to-height records set previously by the USAF F-15 'Streak Eagle'

It took 27 records in various categories - taking all the Streak Eagles records.

It was named P-42 for the battle of Stalingrad in 1942 (P for 'Pobed' [Victory], 42 for 1942)

There's a list of the P-42's records down the page here :- https://su-27.com/info/records/

Ken

Cheers! 

On 7/11/2019 at 9:40 AM, paulsbrown said:

On 7/11/2019 at 10:59 AM, Flankerman said:

It looks like it is at the rear of the aftmost missile pylon on the rear centreline. 

To me it seems that it is at the end of front centerline pylon....

On 7/10/2019 at 11:49 AM, Serkan Sen said:

22883d3e7ffe.jpg

p-42_01.jpg

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 3