D-day Spitfires - Eduard Longest Day 1/72 Combo

52 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

I hope that does not encourage you to take up a bad habit?

:rofl: Fear not Simon, smoking is not for me :D 

Oh, but perhaps you meant modelling? :rofl2: :rofl2:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, giemme said:

Ah! That's brilliant! :clap: I'll shamelessly nick that idea, thanks Ced and Stew :thumbsup: 

Ciao

You're very welcome Giorgio :) It's a good tip - if you want to you can push a pin through the back of the cover before sticking it on to give that 'I fired the guns' look!

7 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I hope that does not encourage you to take up a bad habit?

Simon.

Who, me? As if… :D 

6 hours ago, giemme said:

:rofl: Fear not Simon, smoking is not for me :D 

Oh, but perhaps you meant modelling? :rofl2: :rofl2:

Ciao

Nor me Giorgio, I switched to vaping years ago. 😇

I think Simon might be eluding to the fact that those particular papers, the long silver ones, are the ones you need but they're usually employed, apparently, by naughty people to, I was told, 'roll grass'. I don't believe that actually - I tried rolling my lawn with one and it was useless :whistle: 

Stew suggested that I just ask for the papers and 'look cool' rather than admit I wanted them for modelling. Something to do with 'street cred', whatever that is!

Second one's bottom stencilled:

48497912326_b2b85ef67c_z.jpg

I've put that brush in the picture because it's great for this job. I dip it in the MicroStuff and wet the model in the appropriate place, use it to slide the transfer off then press it on some kitchen towel and go back to the transfer - the dryish synthetic bristles soak up the spare moisture. On the towel again and then use it to stroke down the transfer. Simples!

• Like 6

On 6 August 2019 at 11:12 AM, CedB said:

Thanks Giorgio and Keith :) 

I've learned a lot from this site as you know - and I've even remembered some of it…

Something else I remembered was the stand that my daughter gave me some time ago. I reckoned then that the Sphere-stand pins would go in the end and they do:

48470594647_bd665bcf4f_z.jpg

Hi Ced. Cracking way to hold your Spit. Could you explain what the Sphere-stand pins are & maybe where to find them?

Thanks

Edge

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

Nice tip with the brush, decals and rizla are looking good.... now you can have a nice relax with that grass you were on about and your ‘king skins’ 

Rob

Thanks Rob - chillin' here :) 

49 minutes ago, Edge said:

Hi Ced. Cracking way to hold your Spit. Could you explain what the Sphere-stand pins are & maybe where to find them?

Thanks

Edge

Hi Edge. The Sphere stands are explained here with a link to their website.

I have the 1/72 (with red 3/32 and yellow 1/8" pins) and 1/48 (yellow 1/8 and blue 5/32" pins) versions and they're great.

Our own Fatalbert identified the 'clamps' as 'skin pins', used to hold together sheet metal prior to riveting.

Most places sell them in 10s but they can be bought on their own here (and probably elsewhere).

HTH.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Rob - chillin' here :) 

Hi Edge. The Sphere stands are explained here with a link to their website.

I have the 1/72 (with red 3/32 and yellow 1/8" pins) and 1/48 (yellow 1/8 and blue 5/32" pins) versions and they're great.

Our own Fatalbert identified the 'clamps' as 'skin pins', used to hold together sheet metal prior to riveting.

Most places sell them in 10s but they can be bought on their own here (and probably elsewhere).

HTH.

Thanks Ced! May go with the skin pins as I'm not sure how much use I'd get from the stand, but having something (the pin) to hold whilst working on small scale kits will be a big help!

Edge

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CedB said:

think Simon might be eluding to the fact that those particular papers, the long silver ones, are the ones you need but they're usually employed, apparently, by naughty people to, I was told, 'roll grass'. I don't believe that actually - I tried rolling my lawn with one and it was useless :whistle: 

Try rosemary next time - I've been told it works :rofl: :rofl:

Nice going with the stencils, almost there now! :clap2:

Ciao

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Edge said:

Thanks Ced! May go with the skin pins as I'm not sure how much use I'd get from the stand, but having something (the pin) to hold whilst working on small scale kits will be a big help!

Edge

Good idea Edge and you're welcome. All you'll need is the right sized drill and something to hold the pin/model :) 

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Try rosemary next time - I've been told it works :rofl: :rofl:

Nice going with the stencils, almost there now! :clap2:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - stencils done! Hooray. Matt coat next :) 

2 hours ago, Seahawk said:

And I'm told Rosemary is threatening to sue for defamation of character.

:D 

• Like 2

W&N matt coat on:

48505268211_e9570eb3d1_z.jpg

Masking off tomorrow!

Just need to fit the rear-view mirrors, aerials and props and they're done.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, CedB said:

W&N matt coat

I've never got on with spraying that in the past Ced, but seeing so many people getting good results with it, I bought a new bottle this week - what do you thin it with?

Cracking looking pair of Spits!

Keith

• Like 1

I thinned mine with water from the condensing tumble dryer, about 50/50 I think. 

It’s been in a little bottle for ages and doesn’t seem to separate. 

I spray with the 0.4 at about 25psi

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fitted the rear-view mirrors, aerials and props and they're done:

48509312647_9e168203f6_z.jpg

48509317217_bd82015bdb_z.jpg

Or are they? What's this?

48509386777_9925c8eecb_z.jpg

Exhausts. I am an idiot.

Painted now.

Note the little 'paint tray'; it's the plastic bit of a hearing aid battery case. Recycled, or is it re-purposed? Neat.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, CedB said:

thinned mine with water from the condensing tumble dryer, about 50/50 I think. 

Interesting idea. The water is effectively distilled water?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

I use distilled water. What's a condensing tumble dryer?

I have to say Mr B that IMHO these are two of your best efforts, now stop all this " I am not worthy " guff.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I have to say Mr B that IMHO these are two of your best efforts, now stop all this " I am not worthy " guff.

John

A condensing tuble dryer is a warm air clothes dryer that condenses the water out of the warm air that dries the clothes, instead of venting the warm, moist air outside the room into the open air.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/tumble-dryers/article/condenser-tumble-dryers

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Whofan said:

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

John

4 hours ago, Whofan said:

A condensing tuble dryer is a warm air clothes dryer that condenses the water out of the warm air that dries the clothes, instead of venting the warm, moist air outside the room into the open air.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/tumble-dryers/article/condenser-tumble-dryers

Thanks to the Johns :) 

WhoFan is right - also, condensing dryers don't need a vent - they condense the water into a tank that you have to empty - into a bottle for your modelling!

Biggles that's very kind of you and I put it down to the Colourcoats!

Here they are with the 'Beer Barrel' Spitfire (also and option in this Combo) that I completed 'some time ago' from another kit and AM:

48511749237_300bb585b9_c.jpg

on Flickr

6 hours ago, giemme said:

Almost there, Ced, almost there... :D

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - done! :) 

In the Gallery here.

As usual, thanks to all for your help, support and companionship during this build.

Especially the bit where, apparently, I got a bit modest; it won't happen again :wicked:

Back to the Whitley. I've got this far.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent pair of Spitfires. :thumbsup: They look great sitting next to the Beer Barrel Special. 

Agreed 100% :clap: Great job! 

Ciao

• Thanks 1