D-day Spitfires - Eduard Longest Day 1/72 Combo

On 18/07/2019 at 23:14, TheBaron said:

Amazing level of detail on these Spits Ced! Never owned/made a thing by Eduard before - are all their kits this good?

Ditto your issues with the Mr. Surfacer. For seams like that my goto these days is a smear of Milliput rubbed along the groove with a finger and immediately planed flat with a wet razor blade at an acute angle. Barely needs much sanding afterwards.

Hope you start feeling better soon and sorry it made you miss your TV slot. Here's The Spy in Black if you feel like watching a classic thriller instead:

https://youtu.be/9UCdDEGycLI

Jeez. Nearly finished without saying how good these is looking. Where's me manners?

Get well soon.

Thanks Tony :) Yes, Eduard kits are nicely detailed and well worth the money IMHO. They go together well too - pretty painless.

The only problem (if you can call it that ) is that you end up with boxes of 'spare parts'!

Thanks Keith, Ian, hendie, Patrice and Rob for the kind wishes. Feeling better this morning so onwards!

Bill gave me a tip about using PPP on a damp cotton bud and it certainly works for me:

48327780166_ff463f69d6_z.jpg

I had to 'rescribe' to clean out some details 'cos I was clumsy but it certainly allows quick clean up - and no sanding! Of course I remembered the other perdu tip about putting a drop of water in the end of the tube - also works well for me. Thanks Bill!

I also had a rare bout of masking mojo so did this:

48328698551_f803324508_z.jpg

Just need to stick on some of the sticky out bits now and then we're ready for paint!

• Like 10

Glad you’re feeling better Mr B, you must have had you hair cut too short.

The Eduard 1/48 Spitfires also have lots of spare parts, including a complete wing ( with and without the post war wheel well bulges ) in the Mk XVI. 

Still resisting PPP

John

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

the other perdu tip about putting a drop of water in the end of the tube - also works well for me. Thanks Bill!

Ditto, great tip Bill, works v.well!

Spits are going to look ace in paint Ced!

Keith

• Thanks 1

On 20/07/2019 at 12:19, Biggles87 said:

Glad you’re feeling better Mr B, you must have had you hair cut too short.

The Eduard 1/48 Spitfires also have lots of spare parts, including a complete wing ( with and without the post war wheel well bulges ) in the Mk XVI. 

Still resisting PPP

John

Thanks John - pleased to hear I'm not the only one with lots of spare parts (fnaar!) I'm going to have to start using the box from this combo just for my Eduard Spitfire spares now. :)

On 20/07/2019 at 12:43, Spookytooth said:

Well, looks like things are heading in the right direction Ced.

Glad you are over the Lurgy, you don`t need that stuff, slows one down.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :)

On 20/07/2019 at 15:47, limeypilot said:

@Biggles87 why would you resist something that works?

Confused, I love it!

Ian

On 20/07/2019 at 17:22, Biggles87 said:

I just love the smell of Mr Surfacer

Well, that explains it - the recreational use of fillers hadn't occurred to me before… :D 

On 20/07/2019 at 18:25, keefr22 said:

Ditto, great tip Bill, works v.well!

Spits are going to look ace in paint Ced!

Keith

Thanks Keith :) 

Some bits done over the weekend but restricted by taking les Filles (that's French Girls that is) for their Sunday trip. This week was Avebury and Stonehenge. Rockin' :D

I haven't visited Stonehenge since they put the fence up. No, not the new one, I mean the original! After a memorable evening that extended into early morning a mate and I drove down there to watch the sunrise. Instead of being able to lie on the altar stone as the Sun came up we got shouted at by a security guard and told 'it's closed'. That was nearly fifty years ago. Nearly.

Of course I've driven past a number of times but this was the first time I've seen the now closed off road (that I used to use as a short cut across the Plain) being used to bus people from the 'visitor centre':

48344829377_93c9b023a6_z.jpg

The English Heritage website suggests that a normal tour takes about 2 hours. It also says that if you want to extend your stay to a half-day you can walk to the henge by asking the bus driver to stop halfway. Hah! Presumably if you wanted to stay for longer you could just walk around the car park a few times…

Still impressive though. Here's the sunrise line:

48344688776_d89d5c8219_z.jpg

Be nice when it's finished.

The trip did raise a new challenge for me though - running the Photographers Gauntlet:

48344689821_d864b1618d_z.jpg

You can see Mrs B and the girls on the left waiting for that guy in white to take his eighty-fifth photo…

Not my favourite experience it has to be said. I'm not a fan of being herded (especially when there are real sheep about, bleating at each other) and they've got this down to an art. Including the usual 'Must Exit through the Gift Shop'. I'm surprised some revolutionary hasn't made a film about this sort of thing

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I did get a bit done on the Spits.

Adding small parts.

Be careful you don't drop the aerial mount down the hole when you're trying to position it or you'll need to replace it with filler:

48329182357_db984e0c42_z.jpg

Then you  can get the usual paranoia about getting the cannons in the right locations and wondering why they don't line up with the bumps:

48344633706_0d7c7dbf86_z.jpg

Hmmm.

Ready for primer later.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, CedB said:

Be careful you don't drop the aerial mount down the hole when you're trying to position it or you'll need to replace it with filler:

How do you know that....? :whistle:  looking forward to seeing them in primer!

Couldn't give your Stonehenge post a like Ced, now sounds an awful 'experience' - Disneyland with rocks.... My one and only visit was about 50 years ago, and IIRC it was raining and it was only my parents and I that were there...!! Shan't be rushing back!

Keith

• Like 2

Thanks Keith :) Wait no longer… (see below)

I'm also sad to see these sites (and museums) being turned into 'destination amusement parks'. If it were up to me I'd have open access and guys with cattle prods for those who don't know how to behave. But that's just me (or is it?) My youngest is in Vietnam at the moment and posted these two shots of 'The Golden Bridge' on our family WhatsApp labelled 'Instagram v Reality';

48345692031_1df87c038f_z.jpg 48345827327_e05b7e7ef5.jpg

Seems it's happening everywhere :( 

Primer on:

48345592676_1eea6b2db3_z.jpg

Can you guess why I used the black Stynylrez? Black-basing? Or just a lazy way of painting D-Day stripes (and props)?

You know me so well… :D

• Like 7

I also realised that I need the transfer-application table soon so repaired the Lightning (just one missile) and the Phantom:

48345776512_5ed40d332a_z.jpg

The TSR2, one of my earlier efforts, doesn't really deserve to go back on the ceiling:

48345641456_3ed018890c_z.jpg

48345778542_44bb530a97_z.jpg

48345643536_75c9c12b47_z.jpg

Nasty. That was obviously before BMers taught me all sorts of things… 

I've chucked it in the cupboard and will either buy a new one, strip it down or just forget about it.

it does remind me of the awful time in my youth when they were scrapped.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CedB said:

If it were up to me I'd have open access and guys with cattle prods for those who don't know how to behave. But that's just me (or is it?)

No, it's not! 

Fine looking pair of black Spits there Ced, I dunno about it being a lazy way to paint the D-Day stripes though, you'll be there for hours covering it on the white bits.....!!  :laugh:

K

• Haha 1

My one an only experience of Stonehenge was similar to that of Kieth ( about 45years ago ), no men in gilets telling you where to go and only half a dozen people looking at a bunch of stones.

I hate to say this old chap but your  side by side photo shows the aircraft on the right with ‘C’ wing armament but “E’ wing bulges. Are they supposed to be one of each?

John

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 5:18 AM, Biggles87 said:

I have a selection of ( non-Eduard ) one piece resin top cowlings for my 1/48 Eduard Spitfires. Strangely the Eduard ones do not fit! I wonder if the 1/72 versions are any better. 

Good luck with the sanding.

John

Sorry for the late arrival, but they do, or at least they will with only light sanding. I used one on a Spitfire XVI, and very nice it turned out, too.

20181030_224014

• Like 5

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack. It's good to see you building a good kit of the best aircraft in the perfect scale, Ced, and two at once, at your age! Most impressive. Looking good.

• Haha 1

Very nice work Mr B. Those little beauties are indeed looking quite splendid. I went to the henge a few years back. Really quite enjoyed it. It was a lot quieter though. Maybe avoid school holidays? 

Glad you’re feeling better too. 🤩😇👍

Johnny.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Ced 

I am very pleased to see that you are feeling better and back to work on the Spits ...

Very good job so far ..

All the best

Patrice  

Thanks Patrice :) 

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

No, it's not! 

Fine looking pair of black Spits there Ced, I dunno about it being a lazy way to paint the D-Day stripes though, you'll be there for hours covering it on the white bits.....!!  :laugh:

K

Good to hear… perhaps we should start a movement? :D 

I have a plan for masking the stripes :hmmm:

12 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

My one an only experience of Stonehenge was similar to that of Kieth ( about 45years ago ), no men in gilets telling you where to go and only half a dozen people looking at a bunch of stones.

I hate to say this old chap but your  side by side photo shows the aircraft on the right with ‘C’ wing armament but “E’ wing bulges. Are they supposed to be one of each?

John

Ah, now then… (quickly checks instructions) - you're absolutely right John:

48352031077_f90747585d_z.jpg

it's a pity I didn't realise that the Combo has two variants - the IXC (4 themes) and the IXE (2 schemes). (Bold for future builders)

Here's the hint:

48352036372_4bb3f00822_z.jpg

My crossing out. Rats. it may be on the box somewhere but it's not obvious that you HAVE to build one of each - and I already have the beer barrel kit built. :weep:

What am I going to do? Guess :lalala:

11 hours ago, Procopius said:

Sorry for the late arrival, but they do, or at least they will with only light sanding. I used one on a Spitfire XVI, and very nice it turned out, too.

[snip picture]

11 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

:wall:So they do! 

I’m afraid I’ve fallen into the idiot trap of reaching conclusions based on other people’s comments rather than personal experience.

:oops:

John

Hey PC! Thanks for the photo - good to see the resin bits fit and I hope John's not too envious :D 

8 hours ago, bbudde said:

Yp, that looks very nice. Good job on that. 

Cheers

Thanks Ben :) 

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack. It's good to see you building a good kit of the best aircraft in the perfect scale, Ced, and two at once, at your age! Most impressive. Looking good.

Thanks Egbert! Of course you knew I'd get back on track at some point didn't you :D 

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Very nice work Mr B. Those little beauties are indeed looking quite splendid. I went to the henge a few years back. Really quite enjoyed it. It was a lot quieter though. Maybe avoid school holidays? 

Glad you’re feeling better too. 🤩😇👍

Johnny.

Thanks Jont :) The Henge always looks smaller in real life than in the photos and I know Navy Bird went there for one of the quiet, 'get amongst the stones' trips on his last visit. probably the best option unless you want to became a Druid.

Now then, stripes.

I really want to do two 'messed up stripes' examples and (ahem) ignoring the bumps need some standard 18" stripes and some narrow 9" ones.

PC put me on to the 3M tape that's the right size for the standard stripes:

48347862841_e2997afa99_z.jpg

So I'll use that.

For the narrower stripes i would need to cut the tape in half (why don't I have a tool for that?) so I think I'll cut some using the vinyl cutter.

A plan?

• Like 5